Thread: Anybody remember Tempest?

PSN ID
    Jimsin

Default Anybody remember Tempest?

This is on topic - honest.

Playing lots of Detonator now (thanks to Darkdrium777's sagely advice).

Can't help thinking of the 80s arcade game Tempest - perhaps it could be seen as the great great grandparent of Detonator?

I doubt if many Fury players were even alive when it came out in 1986 - but was just wondering if I was the only one who thought there was a resemblence?

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I've played Tempest a few times before, even though I'm 12 years younger than it, but I think I can see what you mean. The colours of detonator do bare a resemblance to old arcade games with the dark backgrounds and bright sprites, or ship and mines in Fury's case. This seems to be more noticeable in the Pure Zone tracks where there is no architecture giving the effect of the black background which is in Tempest. Gameplay of Tempest is similar too I suppose with the shooting down the tunnel making sure nothing gets to the top.

I don't know if that is what you meant, but that's what I think you meant .

yeah Tempest X on the ps1 was awesome. I remember I got only 2 or 3 levels from the end but never finished it. I think there was over 100 levels.

PSN ID
    Jimsin

Yes Amorbis, that's just what I meant

Didn't know you could get it for the PS1 - I just have vague memories of shoving 10p pieces into the arcade machine :S

Yeah I thought exactly the same thing!!!
    Detonator mode reminded me of Tempest 2000 I used to have on the Atari Jaguar! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw9Hh...ture=quicklist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijjQpOuognI

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sny83

Gotta love that 'Yes! Yes! Yes!' sound effect. Made me remember another oldie from the Commodore 64 days, where the exact opposite was said (No! No! No!). I wonder if anyone can guess which game I'm referring to by this info alone. 'Twas popular enough for that.

PSN ID
    Assegai82

I love soundbites from old classic games "Welcome blue valkyrie!" And the theme to Cannon Fodder on the Amiga... awesome.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Quote Originally Posted by burt_ie View Post
    Detonator mode reminded me of Tempest 2000 I used to have on the Atari Jaguar! LOL

I had that for the Jaguar too! Great game!

And yes, I definitely can see how Detonator could remind someone of Tempest.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Beamrider for the C64/Atari 2600 was the first thing that came to my mind when I played Detonator.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

See attachment... And damnit, lame, i can't find my copy of Tempest X3 for Playstation... I think I'm letting someone borrow it.

I own a Jaguar SOLELY for Tempest 2000, I own a Nuon SOLELY for Tempest 3000. Space Giraffe on XBLA is alright, but Tim Wright needs to give into peer-pressure and port T3k to the 360 :3

I love the classic Tempest, as well, but I'm not very good at it :/ I do eventually want to own a physical upright arcade cabinet, though ^_^
    Attached Images Attached Images