Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the fun in Zone Battle???

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Unhappy What's the fun in Zone Battle???

Can somebody explain that to me? I tried and i tried to see the fun in it, but no, i can't.

Don't get me wrong, i know how it works, i understand the process of this mode. But it's just... boring. BORING.

And how the **** a ship in front of me already got to zone 10 on a target of 20 when we didn't even made a FULL LAP yet?!??! Maybe yes, there's something i don't get... Ok im playing on Elite, but for cryin' out loud, this is ridiculous. Im doing perfect laps and perfect zones, but dammit its never enough. Well, i can finally win after like, 20 tries...

Like its not enough to slalom through tons of mines and bombs online, we have to go around "barriers" that totally wreck your progress if a ship drops it right in your face. Oh but you can go through them without damage, just simply use all the energy you picked up and shield yourself. And back to square one. Ooooo i'm getting horny how full of action this is.

The thrill of doing another Elite Campaign Legend challenge is less attractive than it was because i have to go through this painful mode for each campaign stage.

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

Not fond of it myself, in fact my psn comment explains my feeling towards it. Like you said there are to many damn barriers and the AI jump zones a little to quick. Campaign has to msny zbs and detonators. Where the hell are the races and time trials?

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

I LOVE, zone battle, I smash computers left right and centre, not to mention crush people online. its a great rush going Super Zen online dodging barriers left and right with reckless abandon.

Lapping people who are still on Rapier speed while im Subsonic is the BEST.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

I dislike this mode not because of the constant barriers, but because it is not actually zone. I get pushed off my line by ppl in regular races where I can pick up weapons to heal, but in zone battle I have to waste the saved up energy to repair, which after you absorb it once basically means you lose if you are playing at least 1 smart person since you are now behind by roughly 7-8 zones. How is that zone? It should just be renamed "who hits the most boost pads and gets lucky enough to zone boost at the right time" although that's a bit long if you ask me. I have no prob doing it on campain but I don't plan on doing many MP zone battles.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Agreed, I have absolutely no love for this mode.. the models are awful, the concept just seems hacked together, and all i seem to be doing are quick math calculations as to when the optimal time to use my boost is..

I love Zone.. but, JUST as Zone!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Yeah, the iffy collisions in online races ruin that a little.
    I probably still can't dodge barriers for my life, but that's just me.
    The collisions though are a definite drawback to this mode. Fix the lag! There's no reason apart from a bad connection that it should be there. If I can play online FPS without such bad lag, I expect the same level of precision from WipEout HD as I know it is possible.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Am I the only zone battle lover? =(

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DeepMix

ur not the only one man lol i used to think all the people didnt liked this game mode, now im partially sure of it

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@Kyonshi:
    The fun begins once you know how to play it. And you obviously don't know it.
    It's for people like you I wrote a description of how Zone Battle works. Just watch
    the 'ZONE / Zone Battle thread ...' tomorrow. I will give some usefull tips & tricks
    and I will show how one can gradually improve to become a very good Zone Battle
    player. I will even show some methods to successfully dodge the barriers most of
    the time, that is to say; how to treat a barrier upon encountering...?

You wanna know it?

Zone Battle pwn, honestly.
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 31st July 2009 at 08:03 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

Reduce collision damage so I don't lose half my shield while trying to stay inline with the boost pads, and I will play it.

PSN ID
    allstyles

Zone battle = a cool mode

There should be more lovers out there

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

I enjoy it, it's a good challenge trying to get to zone 40-50 on something like Sebenco Climb. But I can see why people don't like it. Each to their own.

I like normal zone better, but still fun.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I like normal Zone better too I don't hate Zone Battle but it would be better without so much lag online IMO. I've got enough with the barriers, don't want ships pushing me into the walls. :/

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sny83

I'm not too fond of this mode either, and I love Detonator, so it's not about diverging from the usual WipEout experience... but I'm not going to give up on it yet, since I've only played it in Campaign mode so far. Perhaps it's a fun experience online.

PSN ID
    Vic_Viper_1985

I am a lover of zone battle mode, online especially. I've found it's at its best when there's a mix of people who know what they're doing and those who just boost as soon as they can. (Maybe it's just me but I like dodging lots of barriers at high speed )

I do however think it's a bit annoying losing a lot of shield battling for a speedpad at the start.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

It's okay. I certainly don't go looking for it online. I wasn't that hot on Zoning if HD either. I guess ProblemSolver will probably say I couldn't understand it either which maybe true. I suppose if I found it compelling I'd learn the intricacy of it.
    Last edited by crawdad62; 31st July 2009 at 03:39 PM.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

i prefer normal zone mode and wouldn't CHOOSE to do zone battle but once i get going i find it quite exhilarating. get's pretty hectic at times. i like hectic. good mode

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post
    It's okay. I certainly don't go looking for it online. I wasn't that hot on Zoning if HD either. I guess ProblemSolver will probably say I couldn't understand it either which maybe true. ...
    I don't know if you understand Zone Battle or not, but Kyonshi didn't by
    saying;

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonshi View Post
    ... And how the **** a ship in front of me already got to zone 10 on a target of 20 when we didn't even made a FULL LAP yet?!??! ...
    He can at least reach the same zone level. If he hits all reachable pads
    and doesn't hit anything else within the first lap then there is no way the
    AI could be ahead. On some tracks one can even go ahead by doing a
    barrel role within the first round.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

zone battle online is one of my favs, its a shame more people arent into it. people grinding half your health away and blocking pads on the first lap is kind of annoying, but it comes with the territory. but really the only thing i dont like about zone battle is people hitting you with a barrier when they boost from behind you because you never get a "barrier" warning and you dont have a rear proximity marker thing to tell you where people are. i guess you could always just pause and wait for the pack to get away from you so you can do that first lap hassle free but whats the fun in that?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Phantron

I’m starting to believe zone battle is the best mode in Wipeout.
    It takes zone and gives you a goal to reach, rewards you for not hitting walls while collecting speed pads, and severely punishes you for making mistakes. On top of all that its a race!
    Regular zone is great for testing your skill or just simply spacing yourself out and putting your mind in a trance. Zone battle is on the other end of the spectrum, it is chaotic. You need fast reaction time for the unpredictable, not just having the track memorized. Also there is a lot of strategy involved; when to use shield/heal, where to place barriers, when to barrel roll etc.
    If so many barriers when playing 8 people is ruining the experience for you, try online 1 vs 1. Its a great test of skill and very intense.