Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HD 2.0/Fury Update - framerate drop

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    futureproof2011

I don't notice any sound problems as I'm usually too into the game to notice, but there is definitely some extremely minor stutters every once in a while during regular gameplay. I consider myself pretty anal about such things, but I honestly don't think the momentary drops in the FR are a big deal-

I've still noticed a frame rate drop.

Default Fury framerate drops are just too much :(

I'm still noticing this on every Fury single-player event now - I previously thought it only badly affected Eliminator and Zone Battle, but the framerate drops are so heavy at times that it's more than off-putting.

My XMB is running at 1080i - so I assume WOHD is too (my LCD TV is fairly old, and has a panel res. of 1280x768 - and feeding it 1080i looks better on all sources than 720p). I haven't yet forced it into 720p, from what I've read elsewhere (3rd question from the bottom) this may improve framerate?

I appreciate that there are a lot of technical improvements to the graphics and rendering in Fury, but WipeoutHD with Fury or not MUST remain as close as possible to 60fps at all times. At the moment, the framerate dips are just too frequent to be acceptable - all IMO, of course.

Now with Fury, I get heavy framerate dips on EVERY track on EVERY event whenever I perform a boost start, ALL Eliminator events when there is two or more ships on the screen and a weapon goes off, all Zone Battle events when there are two or more ships on the screen at various points, and at random points throughout regular races on any of the Fury tracks...

Not withstanding the framerate dips is the massive screen tearing that was introduced in Fury on some of the new tracks...it just serves to make the game look ugly and seem like it's running on less-powerful hardware than before.

Can the devs PLEASE look into improving things with a patch - or at least acknowledge that the experience has drastically changed, and not just shrug it off?

I know I'm not alone in this thinking...

Timezone
    GMT -6

I notice the occasional screen tearing and slight frame drop, but nothing at all dramatic. It still looks to be running at 60fps for me most of the time. As far as the big drop with boost starts, I just don't really see this at all...ever as far as I've noticed.

Is it possible the game behaves differently on different PS3 systems?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for further optimization. Anything that will improve the performance of the game is great afaic. I just find it odd that some people seem to be experiencing different performance than I am. I mean I'm used to that in the PC realm, but on consoles? Could it be a heat issue? I happen to have my PS3 and TV on a big metal grill type of stand that allows airflow on every side, top and bottom of the PS3. Could some of these issues be related to overheating or something?

PSN ID
    PLazarou

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Hull View Post
    Now with Fury, I get heavy framerate dips on EVERY track on EVERY event whenever I perform a boost start, ALL Eliminator events when there is two or more ships on the screen and a weapon goes off, all Zone Battle events when there are two or more ships on the screen at various points, and at random points throughout regular races on any of the Fury tracks...
    As far as I can tell, the framerate doesn't dip due to the boost start. It's just below 60fps at the start constantly, because all the ships are bunched up. You only notice it when you boost start because it's a sudden movement. Same with random frame drops mid-race, this will be when there are plenty of ships near each other. (the higher-detail models kick in when they're nearer the camera)

So no, you're not alone, I notice it too! But it's really just off the line where it's obviously below 60. Once the ships separate it's smooth 99% of the time. Would be nice if they could keep optimising it though...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

My take on the frame drop thing is; if you can't keep 60fps remove
    features and / or visual quality. That's it.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I only notice framerate drops on eliminator when alot of stuff is going on, I have not seen them in a single race yet though. It's not bad enough to ruin the game but it is still very noticeable.

It kinda sucks since Wipeout is one of the few titles that lists 60fps as a feature (Like Call of Duty and Burnout).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

I certainly would prefer a constant 60fps game, but frankly, the framerate is
    99% of the time rock solid, except on Eliminator, but that's normal with all
    the chaos, I prefer to have the mode with some framerate drops, than not have
    it at all, so I won't complain ... fantastic work SL!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

The new optimization they made to the tracks with patch 2.00 and subsequently the 2.01 fix certainly helped for game modes other than Eliminator (The reason why it was put in place I think.) Haven't seen that Metropia hairpin frame drop again in single race or anything else but Eliminator.

Changing to 720p indeed does give a smoother experience - even on Eliminator modes the framerate drop is not as much as it is when viewing in 1080, but all at the expense of the overall quality of the visuals IMO.

My TV displays 1080i material much better than 720p - there is a LOT of visible aliasing/blocking in 720p mode that vanishes when outputting in 1080i - giving a much crisper, sharper picture.

This would probably explain why some are seeing big framerate hits and others are not. Those running in 1080i/p will certainly see considerably more tearing/slowdown than anyone running in 720p, where it's MUCH less noticeable.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I'm in 1080p.

PSN ID
    PLazarou

Count yourself lucky - your eyes aren't as sensitive to these things. Trust us, the frame drops are there, and it's nothing to do with different spec PS3s.

PSN ID
    Nunalho

I did a few more tests and i ve found out that the sound issue only happens when i play in 5.1 DD sound. If i change the PS3 settings to 2 speakers the sound on Fury tracks is fine... it must be some bad 5.1 coding.