Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Detonator mode

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well it seems I was all wrong about the point scheme. I'll try to explain well, it's more complex than what I said previously.

First, the old mines always give 50 points when shot. In a chain or not, it's always 50.
    Bomb, the first one is worth 2000 points, then add 500 points for each bomb after. So second is 2500, third is 3000, fourth is 3500, etc.

Now for the chaining, I am right about the bonuses (5-Chain, 10-Chain and 15-Chain) scores, but I'm wrong about the mine chaining.
    The mine chaining works only for the bullets of the same clip. If you reload, the next mine you hit will give 100 points. But, if you hit mines with the same cannon clip, and assuming they are all fresh mines, the first one you hit will give 100 points, the second 200, the third 300, and so on. Even if you miss, this chain will still apply, so if you shoot the first bullet and hit, you get 100 points, miss the second bullet, hit the third, you get 200 points.
    If you have old mines in the chain, they don't count, they give 50 but say you hit a fresh mine for 700 points, hit an old, hit another fresh you get 800 points.

The only thing left is the EMP. It appears to divide the points you would normally get by two, so old mines are always worth 25 with it (That I am certain of), but I don't get the fresh mine scoring, I think I saw some 100s, some 200s and some 150s... Also, EMP divides bomb score by two (That I am certain of as well).

So now for some general strategy:
    Hit fresh mines first.
    Hit bombs always with cannon, not with EMP, or try and if you know you can't hit it, use EMP for the half points anyways. (Bombs take two cannon hits)
    Do perfect laps, though it's better to hit a wall than a mine or a bomb.
    Use EMP to clear a very large stack of mines, in order to minimize the division by two. Never use the EMP in the same spot on consecutive laps, you're loosing points you could get from shooting with Cannon.
    On the later stages, use manual reload a lot, as mines appear to spawn more in straights than in turns. If you know you're coming up to a large stack, make sure to have your cannon fully loaded.

Lastly, do not crash into a bomb, it does 20 damage.
    Also, it appears there is a bug in the scoring as firing the last bullet of a clip on a mine will net you 100 points and not the expected score of the chain you were doing, apparently because of the timing issue with the automatic reload so it considers that last bullet as belonging to the next clip. So if you're manually reloading, try to let the last bullet you fired dissipate, or else if it hits something it will only give 100 points.
    And on split tracks, on one lap go in one direction, on the next go the other (For Corridon 12, for Anulpha Pass you will want to prioritize the lower section, though make a pass once in a while on the upper one, except if you see the bomb down below then head for it).
    Last edited by Darkdrium777; 24th July 2009 at 10:29 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Drugs-Bunny

Great informative post there Darkdrium. I'm only missing a couple of Detonator tracks on my Fury Campaign Elite grid as we speak Hopefully this info will help me improve my scores

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    zeeZinator

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Tweedle View Post
    Yep, my mistake, you're right.

I've always done it without using the EMP. Me and Ste have just tried it now using the EMP and we think it might actually be HARDER to do so! Reason being is that each stage/lap has a maximum (and increasing) number of mines so any you destroy are replaced with new ones along with the extra ones for the next lap. So basically you get a LOT of new mines in a lot of new places.

We think it's better to leave them and learn where they are lap on lap rather than have them replaced with new ones.

Paul.
    Haha, you're saying that now I got it without shooting anything. Using the EMP would have saved me a few attempts for last-second OHexcrementICANTGETPASTTHISWALLOFbooooooom...

PSN ID
    RobCoxy

Does anyone think it's humanly possible to get a score of 1,000,000 +...? On all of the tracks i've played detonator on so far, it would mean hitting pretty close to 100% mines...

I suppose it is a new mode and many of us will probably find ways to increase our scores enormously once we get more to grips with it. But still, what do you guys think...?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I got 777800 on Syncopia with clearing 70.8% of the mines, so yes I would say it is possible to get 1 million points, but your clearance score will have to be close to 100%, or you just keep getting high chain bonuses.
    I personally think that for now the clearance will stay around that, 60%, but you must work on your accuracy. I get a lot of 5-Chains myself, but 10-Chains are rare and 15-Chains even more. I suspect that if I could get more 10s or 15s, with the current clearance score I would've done a higher score.

Also, have to figure out whether clearance score talks only about fresh mines, or old mines count too. 30% missing seems a lot for what I essentially missed on stage 14, so I think this "Mines Cleared" column refers only to fresh mines. Since you have to target those in priority, it would make sense.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

i think your sickly obsessed with this mode lol

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Like you with Soldner X
    Can't help it, I just discovered how awesome it is in first person.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

lol ill have to try that ...i havent played soldner X in a while but wait until you see my new castle shikigami 2 playthrough...even more epic

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Just wanted to chime in and mention that I hate this mode. Have a nice day!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I'm neutral to Eliminator and don't like Zone Battle for now because everyone drops barriers when they have 0.8 of boost D:

I'll be making a video of one of my Detonator runs, now that I have two camera batteries.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    HISHO-JP-

Default 470000 for elite gold in Tech De Ra reverse? It's crazy!

Tech De Ra(reverse) Detonator in aftermath(elite) campaign is too hard!!

I completed the session(cleared all stages) but score was 417850 and no medal awarded...
    (I already got elite GOLD medal in Syncopia Detonator with 655375points)

Because track difficulty is...
    Syncopia <<<<[unexceedable wall]<<<< Tech De Ra
    Tech De Ra has more technical corners.
    And the width of roads are narrower...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Eh, yes that seems a little crazy. I was not up to that point in the campaign, so we'll see what happens then.
    For now, you can watch my Sebenco Reverse Detonator video and be inspired a little. Or not

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

Default ...

You pulled it off Dark, trying to get me back into that god-forsaken mode. I was cheering you on in that vid! Going to myself "Yes 9!" then "All right 11! Two more to go!" hoping you would get that 14/14 trophy! And you destroyed all 14 mines! Apparently you already had the trophy though cause nothing popped up. But either way good for you! Was nice to get a little Noisia action going on as well beginnin of that So many wipeoutzone names in that top 10 globals list. Crazy.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

nice vid dark....ill be working on practicing that stuff once i finish all my grids on elite. watch out...master of shmup is coming!!! lol

Timezone
    GMT -4
    PSN ID
    razor_sharp84

Default Increasing Detonator scores

If you're looking to improve your scores a bit, one tip I have is to not reload after every cluster of mines (which I was doing at first as it was the safest way to advance through the stages). Instead, try to take out 2 clusters of mines with each clip. The points go up by 100 for each 'fresh' mine you hit with a bullet from the same clip, so hitting a lot of mines from one clip results in some pretty big points.

Another tip would be to wait until you're almost on top of a mine cluster to fire on it. Since each 'shot' actually has two bullets, one will hit the mine in front of you and the other will ricochet down the track. The closer you are to the cluster of mines when you fire, the more likely it'll be that that stray bullet finds a target a little farther down the track.

One last tip I can offer is to use your EMP in places where old, 'dark' mines are building up (usually around tight corners). This will (1) reduce the chance of running into a dark mine while reloading between 'fresh' mine clusters and (2) create more 'fresh' mines, which are worth more than the dark ones.

My last piece of advice: If anything I said contradicts any advice offered by Darkdrium777, always trust the words of Darkdrium777.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Nice advice there, I think that's what I'm missing with the EMP

PSN ID
    RobCoxy

Tech De Ra(reverse) Detonator in aftermath(elite) campaign is too hard!!
    I did it first go . Got all gold, elite medals on fury campaign now .

Honestly Hisho, just keep trying. Look at Darkdriums video and all the advice given in this thread. You'll get it eventually . You weren't far off anyway.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

detonator mode is, dare i say, a blast.... but is it just me or does the rumble get harder as you go up through the levels. around lvl 14 its like a jackhammer in your hands every time you shoot

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

Default ...

I forget which Tech De Ra I'm on, but I appear to have landed myself in lucky number 5, between Ridium and kyoto.

3. Darkridium777 - 544425
    5. handmadelion - 533600
    6. djkyoto - 521630

PSN ID
    superpj1

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Eh, yes that seems a little crazy. I was not up to that point in the campaign, so we'll see what happens then.
    For now, you can watch my Sebenco Reverse Detonator video and be inspired a little. Or not
    awesome