Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Detonator mode

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

yeah, strategy is to reload manually very often, and survive until the finish line. top 10 score achieved

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

My main strategy is a combination of things.

1st, you get a consecutive point bonus for each mine you hit. So once you reload, you no longer get that bonus; essentially, reloading stops any point bonus. You still get a consecutive point bonus even if you miss. Ideally, you would only get 15 chain bonuses, but that just isn't realistic past zone 3 or 4 even on a lucky run. The solution here, is for as many zones as you can, try to empty the entire clip without manually reloading. I shoot to do this at least to zone 8-9 depending on the track. You do get a bonus for 5, 10 and 15 chains, but the bonus is 100 points for each mine hit in a clip.

So for instance you hit 1 mine, and get 100 points. Then you miss 2 in a row and hit the 4th and 5th and get 200 and then 300 points respectively for a total of 600 points for 3 mines hit out of the 5. If you had reloaded after hitting the 4th mine, you wouldn't get that extra point bonus. Essentially, if you don't reload manually, you get points equal to: (Maximum Hits) + (Maximum Hits - 1) + (Maximum Hits - 2)... x 100. So if you hit 7 mines without manually reloading that is worth ((7) + (6) + (5) + (4) + (3) + (2) + (1)) x 100 = 2800 points. If you reloaded manually after each hit, you would only get 700 points.

2nd, if you are going for points, don't use the blast wave to sweep the track in front of you. Save that blast wave for places where the track splits, and use it on the path you chose not to take. This can be worth an extra few thousand points alone. If you absolutely have to, use it for defense, but it really hurts your score. You can also use it to look behind you and hit a bomb if you miss one. But just DONT use the emp for anything other than emergency defense or to sweep a portion of the track that splits.

3rd, what to do when you hit zone 10+... Ok this is where things really change. At this point, you won't be able to clear nearly as many mines as you previously could, and you are way more likely to get impact damage. What you need to do, is get a rhythm going where you empty the clip and know when you are vulnerable. If you can afford to not manually reload, you'll get more points, but if you are low on ship energy it might be better to manually reload when you get the chance.

One final thing, which I guess can really be considered an advanced tactic, is turning around to sweep part of a split in a track. Take Corridon 12 for example: Instead of complete the lap, turn around and fire an emp or go backwards and hit a few mines. Don't go too far because you will start loosing ship energy. But for certain tracks, it can result in a huge score difference. Ideally on Corridon 12, you would fire an emp at the fork, then turn around right before the finish line for each lap. There are other tracks where this tactic makes sense. Just remember that going backwards too far results in a loss of ship energy.

Overall, the one two basic rules here are actually to avoid manually reloading as long as you can and not fire the EMP as both result in a score reduction. Beyond that it is just how risky you are with ship energy.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

how to own c12

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by JFthebestJan View Post

how to own c12
    That is EXACTLY the tactic I was talking about. If you are skilled enough, it is worth back-peddling a little bit to get those extra points!