Thread: Detonator mode

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well it seems I was all wrong about the point scheme. I'll try to explain well, it's more complex than what I said previously.

First, the old mines always give 50 points when shot. In a chain or not, it's always 50.
    Bomb, the first one is worth 2000 points, then add 500 points for each bomb after. So second is 2500, third is 3000, fourth is 3500, etc.

Now for the chaining, I am right about the bonuses (5-Chain, 10-Chain and 15-Chain) scores, but I'm wrong about the mine chaining.
    The mine chaining works only for the bullets of the same clip. If you reload, the next mine you hit will give 100 points. But, if you hit mines with the same cannon clip, and assuming they are all fresh mines, the first one you hit will give 100 points, the second 200, the third 300, and so on. Even if you miss, this chain will still apply, so if you shoot the first bullet and hit, you get 100 points, miss the second bullet, hit the third, you get 200 points.
    If you have old mines in the chain, they don't count, they give 50 but say you hit a fresh mine for 700 points, hit an old, hit another fresh you get 800 points.

The only thing left is the EMP. It appears to divide the points you would normally get by two, so old mines are always worth 25 with it (That I am certain of), but I don't get the fresh mine scoring, I think I saw some 100s, some 200s and some 150s... Also, EMP divides bomb score by two (That I am certain of as well).

So now for some general strategy:
    Hit fresh mines first.
    Hit bombs always with cannon, not with EMP, or try and if you know you can't hit it, use EMP for the half points anyways. (Bombs take two cannon hits)
    Do perfect laps, though it's better to hit a wall than a mine or a bomb.
    Use EMP to clear a very large stack of mines, in order to minimize the division by two. Never use the EMP in the same spot on consecutive laps, you're loosing points you could get from shooting with Cannon.
    On the later stages, use manual reload a lot, as mines appear to spawn more in straights than in turns. If you know you're coming up to a large stack, make sure to have your cannon fully loaded.

Lastly, do not crash into a bomb, it does 20 damage.
    Also, it appears there is a bug in the scoring as firing the last bullet of a clip on a mine will net you 100 points and not the expected score of the chain you were doing, apparently because of the timing issue with the automatic reload so it considers that last bullet as belonging to the next clip. So if you're manually reloading, try to let the last bullet you fired dissipate, or else if it hits something it will only give 100 points.
    And on split tracks, on one lap go in one direction, on the next go the other (For Corridon 12, for Anulpha Pass you will want to prioritize the lower section, though make a pass once in a while on the upper one, except if you see the bomb down below then head for it).
    Last edited by Darkdrium777; 24th July 2009 at 10:29 PM.