Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Detonator mode

PSN ID
    Vic_Viper_1985

Got the "Hold your fire" trophy last night and was the whole time. Never thought frantically weaving and side-shifting around mines could be so much fun.

Love how everything pulses with the music. Machine Gun came on and blew me away.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    jan709

detonator is by far my favourite Zone-ish mode

Timezone
    GMT + 9

Are you allowed to use the EMP for 'Hold your fire'?

If not, then god help me... it seems impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by Darwock View Post
    Are you allowed to use the EMP for 'Hold your fire'?

If not, then god help me... it seems impossible!
    Nope! That would be too easy!

You'll get there, keep trying.

Paul.

PSN ID
    Reezellthia

You sure about that Paul?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Drugs-Bunny

So... does anyone have any tips for Detonator mode? I have done the first 2 grids on elite, but I'm struggling on the remaining grids. What is your focus? I think Detonator is a very complex game mode that requires you to use alot of different skills. First of all you have to avoid the bombs, aswell as hitting the walls, next you have to line yourself up so that you hit the energy pads. And last you have to know when to shoot and when to reload. Timing is everything. But apart from that I just think I need to practice alot, like with everything else in life

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Tweedle View Post
    Nope! That would be too easy!

You'll get there, keep trying.

Paul.
    I got the "Hold your Fire" trophy whle still using the EMP, so you might want to double check that

Also I still havn't reached Stage 14 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by djKyoto View Post
    I got the "Hold your Fire" trophy whle still using the EMP, so you might want to double check that

Also I still havn't reached Stage 14 yet.
    Yep, my mistake, you're right.

I've always done it without using the EMP. Me and Ste have just tried it now using the EMP and we think it might actually be HARDER to do so! Reason being is that each stage/lap has a maximum (and increasing) number of mines so any you destroy are replaced with new ones along with the extra ones for the next lap. So basically you get a LOT of new mines in a lot of new places.

We think it's better to leave them and learn where they are lap on lap rather than have them replaced with new ones.

Paul.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    axisone

Egads, Detonator is a nightmare for me! What would really help is if I could manually change the reload button from the circle to the X, my thumbs are super clumsy so whenever I feel the need to reload I occasionally change views. Plus I think reloading's a better strategy for me than waiting for the clips to automatically reload themselves.

All the other modes are fantastic though. I can't get enough of Zone Battle, its ridonculous.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I agree, this mode of play needs a PRESET configuration.

Any possibility of having this in a future update .

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Elois-13

I'm personnaly a bit sceptical about detonator. It's a good mini game, it seems well balanced and challenging, it's beautiful to watch, rewarding... good job to sl, first. But I feel it has nothing to do in wipeout. Maybe I'm old fashioned ( french word is "vieux-jeu" ), but I like to have what I want to play. Zone & zone battle are about speed, it fitted in wipeout universe. Eliminator may become boring but it makes good use of the tracks. Detonator, well... detonator reminds of an old school shooter. It's a shoot game. That's doesn't fascinate me, would it be the best shoot game in history of video game. This reminds me of an expansion Criterion games had planned for Burnout, which could have included PLANES in their RACING game. That's cool but, lol, I'm just not interested in planes when I play burnout.

Though I didn't play Detonator much for now, and only on zone tracks... Maybe my opinion will change afterwards.

And Zone tracks are beautiful to... zone on I was not convinced by these "abstract" figures in the sky when I saw Rita's blog, but in high-speed motion it looks quite good. GG Rita

PS: and sorry for the just-woke-up english

Timezone
    GMT + 9

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Tweedle View Post
    Yep, my mistake, you're right.

I've always done it without using the EMP.
    Well that's a huge relief, when you said it would be too easy otherwise I was just thinking to myself "but, but... it's only a bronze trophy!" lol

I'll give it a second go tomorrow with & without EMP and see how I fare.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I recommend myself doing it without EMP. The reason is that you will not have as many mines spawn, since the first stage mines will take pretty much all the available spots, stage 2 and 3 will complete a little, but by stage 10 you'll still have a lot of space (relatively speaking) to steer around the mines. If you were destroying any mines, by stage 10 you'd be dead because many more mines spawn in stages 7, 8 and 9, and the EMP wouldn't cut it to clear the way.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    FrenkyV

Is it true that on elite bombs/mines hurt more then on novice?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I've been playing exclusively on Elite, so I don't know about the other levels.
    I know mines do 10 damage, wall scrapes are pretty punishing (For a ship with 100 shield stat, it sure doesn't look like it), I haven't fully checked bombs.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

IMO detonator feels a little... un-wipeoutish ^^ Beyond the trophies and campaign stuff I doubt I will play it much.
    Last edited by okam; 24th July 2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: typo

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

The rules so far:
    Perfect Lap: 1000 points
    5 Chain Bonus: 1000 points
    10 Chain Bonus: 3000 points
    15 Chain Bonus: 5000 points
    Fresh Mines give a basic 100 points.
    Old Mines give a basic 50 points.
    Bombs I think it's 1000 points.

However, there's a trick.
    If you destroy one fresh mine with one bullet, you get 100 points. Destroy a second fresh mine with the next bullet, you get 200 points, destroy a third fresh mine and it's 300, and so on. Miss once, you break the chain and the next fresh mine you destroy gives 100 points. I think it works the same way with the old mines, except it's 50, 100, 150, 200.
    If you get a bomb in the chain, for example the bomb is the second destroyed, it gives 2000 points, if it's the third 3000. (That bit I am unsure of)
    The EMP destroys mines along the same principle I think.
    One mine, fresh or old, will deal 10 damage to you if you hit it. Bombs I still haven't checked, though it's considerably more.
    You get 10 shield points every lap.

An example for the mine chaining:
    Fresh mine - old mine - fresh mine - fresh mine - old mine
    Assuming you don't miss, you will get the following points:
    100 - 100 - 300 - 400 - 250 + 5 Chain Bonus 1000 points

I think that's it, you guys can probably double check on that.

PSN ID
    Reezellthia

Hey darkdrium do you think to get good scores its worth not using EMP ever?
    Also when the voice tells you bomb ahead, its nice that they leave atleast 14 things for you to hit beforehand so you can get the bomb on the 15th, could be worth doing.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I'll check on the EMP, cause I'm not yet 100% sure how it gets the points (To be honest it's a little hard to see white numbers on a blue-white flame).
    The bomb takes two hits to destroy, I forgot to say that. So you'd only get 14000 from theoretically (Because I'm not even sure that's how it works)