Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: WipEout Fury Official Release Date!!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@sny: Exactly my thought!

Something is 'wrong' with the pricing, honestly, especially if we compare
    the whole thing to others. Perhaps Sony / SL do follow a certain strategy
    here? Most likely.

Timezone
    GMT -6

well, its not necessarily a matter of something being "wrong." I mean if we allow a sales number of 400,000 copies for Wipeout HD, thats 8 million dollars. With no overhead in terms of having to produce and ship a hard copy of the game and no middlemen like Walmart to have to deal with, thats a pretty respectable take. They'll sell a few more copies of the base game now at the sale price, and hopefully a shedload of the add-on at 10 bucks to make a few more million in income. I'm sure the devs are smart enough to price it such that they can pay the bills and still have a bit left over...

I agree that $9.99 is a very reasonable price for FURY and I can't wait to get mine. I don't know where the notion that DLC is usually $5 or less comes from. BSI for Burnout was $19.99 no? Both the recent add-ons for Pacific Rift were $9.99. FURY is way more than just a pack of skins or something...in fact I'd say its way more than the Island for Burnout. So yeah, reasonable for anyone and really almost a gift if you're a fan. I was really expecting it to be $19.99, or at the very least $14.99.

edit - actually the Island was $12.99...but my point still stands.
    Last edited by Z_Zoquis; 18th July 2009 at 12:41 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Well, i paid 10€ for a Metal Gear Online Expansion, which i didn't use all i wanted, because the maps included were used by expert people in that game, and i was killed everytime i got into some of these maps. Anyway, this gene expansion for 10€ (one year ago, now it's cheaper) had 3 maps only and one new game mode (i don't know exactly but i think it's free now) and 2 MGS characters who you will be lucky if you control them in an online match.

We all know yet what includes Fury, so i will not repeat again, but 10€ is the best price for the expansion with all that content.

Less days to thursday!

PSN ID
    Axellink

Isn't that dandy then. I had £3 left on my account when I bought HD. Only have to top it by a fiver and now i have the expansion. I'm loving the pricing guys, great job. all in all the full set comes to £20 quid. Bargain in my books.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@Cyberio: MGO is worth every penny. Its depth and variety is unmatched.
    Yeah, it's a tough game, like WipEout HD, but I always get something out of it.
    There was not even 1 second were I got bored of MGO. And I play this game
    since day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Z_Zoquis View Post
    ... I'm sure the devs are smart enough to price it such that they can pay the bills and still have a bit left over...
    For sure. But I would spend a bit more just to ensure that the game will be
    supported in *great* detail over the next month. Further, I want to be
    assured (somehow) that they start working, at full force, on something
    new after Fury is out the door (after vacation, of course). One can never
    have enough money to rightfully accomplish all the things mentioned.

I imagine a Velocity DLC for WipEout HD where speed is the one and only
    priority.

Btw; Welcome on board!
    Perhaps you wanna introduce yourself over in the The Pilots Lounge.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

It's an ABSOLUTE bargain.

NO other down loadable game has such "REPLAY' value even remotely close to this on ANY console.

I rarely call people idiots,but those that think this DLC is overpriced certainly
    are.

This is going to get played and played and played again.

It might get those that just like destroying things [FPS fans] getting their jollies out of a racer

Timezone
    GMT -6

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    Btw; Welcome on board!
    Perhaps you wanna introduce yourself over in the The Pilots Lounge.
    done.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberio View Post
    Well, i paid 10€ for a Metal Gear Online Expansion, which i didn't use all i wanted, because the maps included were used by expert people in that game, and i was killed everytime i got into some of these maps. Anyway, this gene expansion for 10€ (one year ago, now it's cheaper) had 3 maps only and one new game mode (i don't know exactly but i think it's free now) and 2 MGS characters who you will be lucky if you control them in an online match.

Less days to thursday!
    You should've just kept going on automatching, then you would have got some more practice.

Guys, I'm psyched about this release date, I might just put Oblivion and LittleBigPlanet down. :radar

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Excellent news, I'll be adding some funds to ones wallet very shortly, EIGHT QUID?!?

Is anyone familiar with that Burger King Advert where the guy goes in and makes his order, pays, then gets so much change back he feels like he just robbed them? Followed by him exiting through the nearest window? Yeah...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Yeah, I know that -advert. xD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    jan709

woohoo! fury!!

but i wont believe it until i see The "preparing for download" line on my tv screen

Quote Originally Posted by PLazarou View Post
    Well a lot of you continue to be a bunch of deluded fanboys. £7.99 is not cheap for a piece of DLC. It is (fact) one of the more expensive add-ons, and rightfully so. It is a reasonable price for the Wipeout add-on, nothing more. Believe me I'm just as excited as everyone else, I'm just not jizzing myself over something coming out at the expected price, that could/should(?) have arrived much sooner than it has.

Before anybody feels like responding with more biased comments, please re-read the bits I have carefully marked in bold. I am not trying to start an argument! We're all friends here!
    If you could buy a 1 bedroom flat in Grimsby for £20,000, would that mean a 4 bedroomed detached house in london for 200,000 was not cheap ?
    Of course not.

It could not have arrived sooner (why do you think it could or should ???), its been in development months and the guys have been working round the clock on it busting their balls to get it done and fighting to include as much as possible and working late hours to cram as much in as they could, whilst also providing other patches in the meantime. Its come as early as possible, it was only finished and through master submission a week ago.

For what it is, £7.99 is cheap, as I said its not even 3 pints in a pub

If £7.99 isnt cheap because 1 song in rockband is a £0.99 then well . . . . I guess its individual perspective, in my book its beyond cheap, its an impulse dont even think twice price.

@blackwiggle, Paul and Zico werent testers... well ok Paul was about 167 years ago. zico is a coder, Paul is a dev manager
    Last edited by Colin Berry; 18th July 2009 at 05:07 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Okay, two Tacos.

Yes?

PSN ID
    kgb1971

My maths might be wrong here but,

If i have played HD for 354 hours and was £11.99 then that means it has cost me a little more than 3p per hour.

Fury being £7.99 and if i play it for the same time will cost even less.

Not a bad return in my book.

(someone check the maths please )

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Personally, I was expecting 20 bucks... just as much as the game first was... considering it seems to double the game's size! And I still would think it was worth it...

But hey... 10 bucks (U.S.)... CHEAP!

Timezone
    GMT -6

I think the basic point PLazarou seems to be making is that since FURY's price is more or less in line with other premium DLC available for other games, its off-base to refer to it as "cheap." I think on the surface he's right. But if you actually compare the content then the argument starts to fall apart. From what I can tell, FURY is essentially like a new version of Wipeout HD...almsot Wipeout HD 2. It pretty much doubles the original games content. I don't think any previously available add-on for a game has done that. If you compare it to Burnout Paradise, it's like getting the Party Pack, Legends car pack, Toy cars, and Big Surf Island in one add-on. By that reasoning I don't think its off-base to refer to FURY as cheap...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I'm surprised at the low price for Fury though perhaps there is little choice given that the original release was only $20 USD.

IIRC the original WOHD is on sale in PSN this week, perhaps to draw some fence-sitters in before the release of the Fury DLC?

Discussions of video game prices are always weird for me, I am mostly interested in it for the insights it provides on the video game industry. So many factors-- the installed base of the console, development costs, expected sales at different price points, additional revenues from DLC. And it all "matters" to game fans because franchises need to be economically viable if they are to be supported into the future.

As a fan of Wipeout, I don't really care how much the game costs-- I would buy Fury at $50 or $100 because life is too damn short not to play the games that one wants to play! Of course, that pricing would no doubt be a tremendous mistake for the health of the franchise The low price points for WOHD and Fury suggests that Sony is positioning the franchise as a "staple" for the PSN network rather than an exclusive offering.

PSN ID
    PLazarou

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    It could not have arrived sooner (why do you think it could or should ???), its been in development months and the guys have been working round the clock on it busting their balls to get it done and fighting to include as much as possible and working late hours to cram as much in as they could, whilst also providing other patches in the meantime. Its come as early as possible, it was only finished and through master submission a week ago.
    I seem to have struck a nerve here - my apologies. I wasn't suggesting that you guys aren't working hard enough, I'm just being critical of the online release model you guys have adopted, i.e. making a less-than fully featured Wipeout title, albeit for less money and then offering DLC later down the line to bump it up to a more substantial product.

Personally, I would have preferred to wait for a full release, Blu-Ray or otherwise, with the content of HD and Fury - surely if you'd worked to that more traditional development model the game would have indeed arrived slightly sooner (as you wouldn't have had to release several patches up until this point as you mentioned)?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Many full priced blu-ray games have download contents later after their appearance on stores. Do you call those games "incomplete" too ?
    I was already happy with HD as it's atm. Of course, like everybody, if i can have more ...
    Downloadable games and contents seems to be the future in the video game industry, with advantages and regrets. We can't do nothing about that, just follow (or not) the movement.
    Thanks anyway Colin, Paul and Zico for the good news
    Last edited by leungbok; 18th July 2009 at 06:28 PM.

PSN ID
    OLOuk

8£ for FURY is a bargain of a year!I was ready to pay any money, but I expected like 13.99£ minimum.