Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Imagine a new WipEout team....

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

The inspiration of my team came from one of my favourite game series:

Wyvern AR comes from the No. 10 racer Little Wyvern from the F-zero series, this was a combat plane converted into a racing machine by space dynamics (Hence I choose my team to convert real military combat aircraft).
    Rather than have space dynamics though, I made up Aeronautical Research as a more modern take for the time period of the wipeout series.

Also in mythological terms, "Wyvern" are a species of dragon hence the new motto.

Hence: Wyvern AR, Racing with dragons! came to be

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

Fun Fact: The Little Wyvern and James McCloud are based on the Star Fox series, James looks like a human version of Fox's father, while the Little Wyvern looks like the Arwing.

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

I knew that and its one of my favourite easter eggs in games, Star fox was the first game I ever played and I have an original copy of every games they released. I'm still waiting for Nintendo to make a new one (if they ever will )

I'm not good with concept art so instead I wrote a vague history of a team that's been braincrack for a few weeks now.

A UK based team starting as a project among universities and higher education engineering establishments.

2156 - Engineering undergraduates Alex Tyven and Jessica Ashley found a university based amateur AG society to commemorate the start of the inaugural F9000 Anti-Gravity Racing League season. Basic AG is covered as a joint module within a Physics department and so with some help from staff and institution funding, a small "go-kart" craft is constructed using parts from commercial vehicles over the following 12 months.

2158 - The project is opened up to other establishments, becoming the UK-H.E.A.G. (UK Higher Education Anti-Gravity), a non-profit organisation aimed to give students with an interest in AG additional practical experience in the field. A guest lecture given by Natasha Belmondo rockets the organization into the public eye, and additional funding is granted by a coalition of higher-education funding bodies to allow development of a basic prototype race craft.

2160 - The prototype ship is unveiled to the public, with the return of Alex Tyven to demonstrate the craft. Several notable features of the vehicle catch the attention of the AG racing community.

The first is the crafts bizarre juxtaposition of highly developed parts, and an extremely low end construction. The organization had concluded that funding should be focused on allowing students to creatively develop their own variations of key components, resulting in huge manufacturing costs. As a result, the craft has near to no external shielding, with a largely open chassis leaving mechanical components exposed. This has some benefit in allowing viewers to see the unique construction and components, but makes the craft almost entirely unusable in even underground races.

The second was the unique thrust system. Physicists within the team had developed a unique system known as "dual-stacked lock-in-phase" thrusters. The mechanism is essentially very precisely stacking two thruster systems, and allowing the phase of the engine cycles to lock resulting in a kind of resonance. One thruster would add to the other, and this would add back, and so on and so forth. This positive feedback look allowed to extreme speed to be obtained, however the engines take a long time to lock phase, and mechanical shock can throw them back out of phase. For this reason, acceleration is extremely slow until the phases lock, and careless piloting can reset the engines resulting in dramatic and sudden loss of speed.

The final, though less immediately obvious quirk was a slight asymmetry in the ships stabilizer wings. A manufacturing defect left the front left and right wings slightly different from one another, and budget constraints prevented this from being fixed. The solution to this was the development of an extremely powerful, though inefficient, computer system to compensate. Without this, the ship would naturally and unpredictably shift left at high speeds. The computer system constantly analyses the ships system data and counters this natural movement with no pilot input. This allows for piloting that feels natural even with this mechanical instability.

The team give no illusion of quality, with Alex Tyven infamously explaining "it's all kinds of s**t, but she's great fun to fly."

2161 - The team officially register as a commercial research organisation, still focused on bringing university graduates into the sport. Renamed to GB-HERO (Great British Higher Education Racing Organisation).

2162 - To aid development of a new version of the GB-HERO craft, investment requests are made to investors within Overtel. All are unsuccessful, with one investor having said "Europe needs no more teams. This is nothing but an idea run by kids. Call me when Feisar falls". Development continues, despite budget constraints.

2170 - The F9000 league falls. All competing teams under heavy investigation. This apparently constitutes as Feiser falling, as the disgruntled investor calls offering funding opportunities. Many claim this was a crude attempt to distance himself from the Overtel controversy. GB-HERO accept the money.

2170 - 2184 - The team develops several prototype ships, with focus remaining on developing new and novel technologies. Creativity is at the heart of the team. The downfall of the league allows underground racing to blossom, a setting in which such novel technology is praised due to lack of regulation and increased enthusiasm for innovation. The unfortunate result of this is a series of notoriously unstable ships. The DSLP thruster is refined to near perfection, however part of this included attempts to prevent de-phasing from sharp turning and jumps. The computer system first designed to compensate for wing-asymmetry is developed to automatically adjust navigation to prevent shocks to components. This made navigation unpredictable and often failed to prevent de-phasing anyway.

The ships become famous for demonstrating new technology but being almost comically unstable.

2185 - The Anti-Gravity Rebirth Festival is held as an amateur racing event in Tule Desert, Nevada to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Pierre Belmondo's historic flight. Part of this included a charity event hosted by GB-HERO in which renound ex-pilots would compete in a 3 lap race in various HERO prototype ships. The expectation is naturally a hilarious show of pro-pilots struggling to handle the unpredictable ships. This is generally the case with one exception.

The most recent model, the HERO Sigma, had been developed by a closed group within the team. Funding had often been diverted to the Sigma team to develop the craft in great secrecy. The unpredictable software stabilization had been replaced with a state of the art shockmount for the thrusters, allowing a level of secondary suspension to prevent de-phasing shocks. The wings had been connected up to an entirely separate system to work in perfect unison with the movement of the shockmount, allowing for a more natural feeling navigation system while still maintaining the crucial engine phase.

To the worlds disbelief, Natasha Belmondo is quoted as having said "it's the single most stable craft of it's kind. The creativity that went into that system is phenomenal."

Many more pilots, both professional and amateur were given the opportunity to pilot the Sigma. While the navigation system takes getting used to, and de-phasing does still happen occasionally, the unique shockmount put the Sigma in a class of it's own.

Comments were frequently made about the unique acceleration. The ship would accelerate excruciatingly slowly until the engines locked phase, at which point the ship would lurch forward, and every aspect of the handling would change. Many claimed it like piloting two entirely different ships, one slow with tight navigation, and one almost uncontrollably fast with a twitchy, unpredictable but strangely stable navigation system. The change between these being almost instantaneous.

2185 - 2197 - The Sigma, and subsiquent variations, go on to compete well in many underground and semi-professional tournaments. The team become financially independent during this time, and continue to hire many graduates using their money to further fund creative and innovative research.

2197 - The computer aided navigation system and DSLP thruster system are deemed unsuitable for the FX300 Anti-Gravity Racing League, going against many agreed standards. The team no longer compete in professional leagues, but continue research in systems for the sport, and work with students and graduates to develop them in the field before going on to work for competing teams.
    Last edited by c92; 14th May 2014 at 10:09 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Default Major Corporations?

Some food for thought;

If AG Racing is inspired by modern Formula 1 racing, wouldn't major corporations that participated in F1 want to have a go at AG racing? Say... Marlboro, or Red Bull. I suppose I'll figure that one out myself...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Team: Red Bull.defy
    Origin: Belgium
    Ship: Legacy 2240
    Motto: "We Return."

After the fall of Formula 1 racing in 2031, energy drink company Red Bull withdrew from its major role in the adrenaline-sports world. Slowly enough, the brand of drink waned in popularity, and the company was forced to close in 2143. However, after the FX-400 and 450 season, two Belgian entrepreneurs named Christoph Holtzman and Jean-Luc deFontaine had discovered the remains of the old Red Bull company, and its motorsports heritage. Disgruntled by the constant changing-of-hands that FEISAR put up with, Holtzman and deFontaine proposed a national AG team. The Belgian government agreed, and gave the two its blessing. Thus began Red Bull.defy(as in "defy gravity," in reference to antigravity engines) as a proper team. Under much rumor and dispute, this revival of a nearly ancient racing team developed a unique AG craft, taking inspiration from Formula 1, and stunt planes. Soon, they came up with the Legacy 2240, a front-cockpit, single-hulled AG craft with state-of-the-art weapons capabilities, and respectable handling technology. Truly, "We Return" is a fitting motto.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Fireuser1995

I just recently brainstormed a team. Still working on it, though.

Cyphoma Developments

County of origin: UCR (United Caribbean Republic)

Cyphoma was established in 2189 by the United Caribbean Republic, which was formed five years earlier. During the economic depression following the collapse of the F9000 league, Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba, and Dominican Republic decided to join the world of Anti-Gravity. Like Auricom, Cyphoma followed Pierre Belmondo's philosophy of using AG technology for the good of mankind. However, unlike Auricom, they were very aggressive and made few friends within the FX500 league.

That's all I have so far....

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Ship name: "Hyperion"

By Digistruct Technologies Inc.

I think you can see where I'm going with this...

Using a combination of digital struct technologies combined with the near limitless power provided by a hybridized Eridium powered engine, the Hyperion was developed as a covert prototype of a single pilot reconnaissance craft. The Hyperion is easy to transport as it is digistructed at all events onsite as opposed to having to be transported. Another advantage of the digistruct technology is quicker respawns upon ship destruction and in the event a pilot flies off the circuit. However due to being so lightweight, the craft had to be heavily modified to be adapted to suit racing purposes and suffers from collisions and weapon damage due to being so fragile.

One additional unique feature is upon destruction, the craft automatically files a digistruct missile at the craft responsible (like a Tediore reload).

Company slogan: "Fight or Flight? Why not both... at the same time?"

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Is the lead pilot called Wilhelm??
    Perhaps director of operations is called Handsome Jack??

I like the giant Easter egg, awesome team xD

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Maybe Maya would be the lead, and zer0 would be the 2nd. They see like effective pilots, although I have to admit that Jack was who first came to mind and Wilheim is practically an autopilot anyway after all the upgrades.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I would like something that I can look at and say, "something like that may happen".

Venom Racing Development:

Ship type: dual hull

Country of origin: USA

History: Founded in 2205 by Grant Samson, Venom were originally a commercial ag ship manufacturer, and decided to compete in the
    FX500 league in 2213. Their craft are very good, with great handling. They follow Belmondo's philosophy and have a separate branch of the company for racing only, so research wont get in the way of racing.

FX500 ship stats:

speed: 70/100
    handling: 95/100
    thrust: 65/100
    shields: 85/100

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

You pretty much just described a FEISAR with bad thrust and slightly worse handling! : 70/100/80/80

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    You pretty much just described a FEISAR with bad thrust and slightly worse handling! : 70/100/80/80
    And Dual Hull, donĀ“t ignore the dual hull

Timezone
    GMT -6

Okay, I guess I shouldn't have said "very good", but I thought up of a better story and I guess while I'm at it ill make the ship "very good". (also, I am not good at making names!)

Venom Racing Development

Ship Type: Dual Hull

Origin: U.S.A

In 2155, Grant Samson founded Venom, a commercial a-g ship manufacturer that later joined the F-9000 league in 2166. Their ship was moderately good, with great handling and sheilds. Although they had lots of success in the F-9000, due to some highly skilled pilots, when the league collapsed, they were on the brink of bankruptcy. They invested millions of dollars in their craft, and it only competed for a couple years.

They still managed to make it through to the dawn of the FX300 league by selling commercial ships once more, where they were thrilled to hear they could race some more. They entered the FX300 late, in 2198 because they wanted to refine their ship to have more success. After using up pretty much all the money they had left in a final attempt to get the glory they had before, the ship turned out brilliant. it was one of the best on the track, and the company went from dying to thriving by the time the FX350 and 400 where announced.

They decided to take the same approach as last time, and came to the leagues late, in 2208. They moved on to the FX500 league later, not coming late finally, where their research and financial backing helped them.

F-9000 Ship: Their F-9000 ship SORT OF looks like a cross between the Qirex F-5000 and Auricom F-7200. It sort of looks like the Auricom but with the wing looking from the Qirex things on the front and back. The paint job is SORT OF like Feisar's F-9000 but with red and black. (the yellow part is red blue part is black and the letters are black and say venom.)stats: (as un-upgraded.)
    speed:1106 kph
    stability: 7%
    thrust: 0-400 kph in 1.9 secs
    mass: 1800 kg
    shields: 100 gsu
    weapons: 88 gsu

FX-300 ship: SORT OF a cross between the Auricom And Assegai FX300. It has a similar cockpit and back to the Auricom and the hulls are sort of like the Assegai. The paint job is thin black racing stripes on the hulls and cockpit, and on the side it has a single black stripe (on the side of each hull) that has VENOM in it sort of like: -----------VENOM--------- (the line isn't dashed on the ship) and the tops of the hulls are darker red than the rest. stats:
    speed: 8/10
    handling:7/10
    shield:6/10
    thrust:8/10

FX-350 ship: pretty much same. The livery is the same as the FX-300 but the very front panels are darker red and so are the panels around the cockpit and back. The racing stripes are now one black one white. It also has more sponsors.
    Alternate livery #1: Same but switched stripe and main colors. Alternate livery #2: racing stripes are on sides now, VENOM stripes on top of hulls and cockpit. stats:
    speed:8/10
    thrust:9/10
    handling:8/10
    shields:8/10

FX-350 Fury ship: SORT OF a cross of the Auricom and Qirex fury ships, similar to the front halves of the hulls of an Auricom on a Qirex. The livery is SORT OF the Auricom fury livery but some of the stars are gone, some have been replaced with VENOM. stats:
    speed:8.5/10
    thrust:9/10
    handling:8.5/10
    shields:8/10

FX-400: same as FX-350. Alternate is alternate #1 from FX-350. stats: same as FX-350

FX-400 concept: looks a lot like the icaras FX-400 ship. livery has been made to fit single hull. livery is also slightly different.

NOTE: ship descriptions are very vague. same with ship liveries. this is just to give an idea of their story and ship type. the liveries are not actual. they would look better and more detailed.
    Last edited by PureSpeed7; 4th September 2014 at 11:42 AM.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

imagination is a wonderful thing

Zweigart Ltd.

Ship Type: Quad-hull (F7200, FX400)
    Dual hull (F9000)

Origin: United Kingdom (as Throttle Jam Motors) 2125-2143
    Ukraine (as GasTech Engineering, Inc.) 2162-2169
    Germany (as Zweigart Ltd.) 2210-present

Founded in 2125 by English engineer Andrew Colvert following his inevitable resignation from Icaras after a heated argument with Burnston Burns over the "new approach" to AG racing that Icaras held dear. In 2127, Colvert began to craft an experimental quad-hull craft to compete in the F7200 League against their new rival, Icaras. However, during their foray into the F7200 League, their performance record made Icaras' record look like Qirex in comparison, as out of all the races they competed in from 2127-2138, they only managed to finish only one race which would end up being their only victory during their F7200 campaign with lead pilot, K.C. Akenbran (AUS) narrowly edging out Auricom's Davey Carter(USA) in the 2137 Hi-Fumii Grand Prix. Throttle Jam Motors would eventually resign from the sport in 2143 following an incident at Stanza Inter that would cause the death of K.C. Akenbran.

What was left of the team was absorbed by Ukrainian technicians Mikhail Visscov and Radomir Gaztevenov to form GasTech Engineering, Inc. (no relation to G-Tech Systems) in 2162 and began developing a craft that relied almost exclusively on stealth tactics and high acceleration for the F9000 league hiring former Throttle Jam pilot, Dymitro Guzhva (UKR) as lead pilot for experience reasons and hiring former Tigron test pilot Treck Tauger (AUT) as second pilot. Their efforts were mostly fruitless outside of Guzhva winning the 2163 Katmoda 12 Grand Prix and Tauger holding off Omarr Khumala in the 2164 Vohl Square Grand Prix, the only tracks that the team refused to run on were Cubiss Float due to their craft's lack of proper equipment needed to run on the track and Temtesh Bay following the 2164 Temtesh Bay Disaster. GasTech Engineering went on to win 3 more races, all of which were achieved in 2169 wich Tauger winning the season opening Florion Height Grand Prix, Mandrashee Grand Prix with newcomer Delvin Gunther (USA) and the Katmoda 12 Grand Prix with Tauger which led to their maiden championship by winning a tiebreaker with Piranha's Vendaval Espenoza (ESP), however an intense argument that resulted in a fight between Visscov and Gaztevenov, when this emerged GasTech closed its doors and when the F9000 league collapsed, Tauger and Gunther were left with no outlet to test their racing prowess after denying that they had nothing to do with the scandals during their foray in the F9000 League.

In 2209, a German businessman named Fritz Van Hamburg discovered what was left of the old GasTech facilities during on his way from a business meeting in Ukraine and also discovered blueprints of the old Throttle Jam quad-hull craft, this discovery sparked Hamburg's urge to enter in the FX350/400 Leagues. He was able to re-create not only the quad-hull craft not seen since Throttle Jam's foray in the F7200 league, but he was originally going to build an asymmetrical design with the cockpit set on the right side of the craft, the asymmetrical design was not seen since the Auricom T-808 model in the F9000 league, however this was scrapped for financial and FX350/400 regulation reasons. When Hamburg entered the FX350/400 scene in 2210 under the name "Zweigart Ltd." the craft was very aerodynamic despite the rather bulky quad-hull design, however, they only managed to earn success in some of the more technical circuits on the calendar in their first year and despite gaining two victories with FX400 rookie pilot Ghettson Moore (GBR) at Modesto Heights and Sebenco Climb with FX350 lead pilot Mattieu Strouf (GER), they were mainly a mid-pack running team.

F7200 Craft: Cross between Auricom F7200 and AG Systems F5000 craft, Paint job is Red/orange flames over dark blue body.
    Thrust: 3/5
    Speed: 4/5
    Shield: 1/5
    Handling: 4/5

F9000 Craft: Symmetrical edition of Auricom T-808, but slighty lightweight than the Auricom and with fins on both sides of the hull. Features a black and dark-green paint scheme with GasTech logo on both sides of hull
    (Stats un-upgraded)
    Speed: 1200 kph
    Stability: 60%
    Thrust: 0-700 in 1.5 seconds
    Mass: 923 kg
    Shields: 50 gsu
    Weapons: 70 gsu

FX400 craft: Cross between Triakis FX350/400 and AG Systems F5000. Livery is silver crossed with white stripes around the inner-hull area with Zweigart motto "Godspeed for Zweigart" on the side of the outer hull.
    Speed: 7/10
    Thrust:10/10
    Shield:4/10
    Handling:3/10

(stats un-upgraded)
    Last edited by Rovenami; 30th June 2015 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Correcting minor spelling errors

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Default Hyperion ship

Hello there,
    I don't know if this forum still works, but I found this in my research of new Wipeout team/ship.
    I want to share my past work with you and hopefully find some new ideas for future projects (which some of them are in progress now).
    It's been about half of year back since I ended my work on new Wipeout ship called "Hyperion".
    If there will be more people who would appreciate it, I want to share my current ideas and sketches with them and discuss a new design for new ship and most probably new team with corporate identity to it (I already have name for it).

So this is Hyperion:
    tumblr_n9kvbzcjKM1qgfcwlo1_1280.jpg tumblr_n9kvbzcjKM1qgfcwlo2_1280.jpg tumblr_n9kvbzcjKM1qgfcwlo5_1280.jpg tumblr_n9kvbzcjKM1qgfcwlo4_1280.jpg tumblr_n9kvbzcjKM1qgfcwlo3_1280.jpg
    Promo:
    tumblr_nbr7nzRAWW1qgfcwlo1_500h.jpg

You can find it on my tumblr gallery: http://megabyte-art.tumblr.com/post/93401754842

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

That looks really good

Timezone
    GMT -5

Gorgeous. Def fits with the fury ships.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Quote Originally Posted by Rovenami View Post
    Zweigart Ltd.

Ship Type: Quad-hull (F7200, FX400)
    Dual hull (F9000)

Origin: United Kingdom (as Throttle Jam Motors) 2125-2143
    Ukraine (as GasTech Engineering, Inc.) 2162-2169
    Germany (as Zweigart Ltd.) 2210-present
    Interesting backstory. But knowing my WipEout lore and lexicon, I'm not sure I'd name my racing team after the second slowest speed-class in the history of Anti-Gravity Racing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Meg.A.Byte View Post
    So this is Hyperion:
    Wow. That looks fantastic. If I hadn't known better, I'd swear SL did it.

Now that we've seen their FX-400 entry, can you tell us how they fit into the WipEout universe?

From the Netherlands, perhaps? A team that began in the void between Xios downfall and the birth of EG-X?
    Maybe a lead designer for Qirex defects and starts his own team? I see a little Qirex in your ship design (a good thing), and maybe this explains the origin of the Hyperion chassis design?

This sure has my brain running!

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid Divide View Post
    Interesting backstory. But knowing my WipEout lore and lexicon, I'm not sure I'd name my racing team after the second slowest speed-class in the history of Anti-Gravity Racing!
    Well, for the record, I was also considering "Illusion Technologies"