Levikas, pronounced as (leh-vee-kas)
    Region: Denmark.
    Slogan: Forever Without Gravity.
    Colour of Ship: Red, Purple & White.

Max Speed: 7/10
    Acceleration/Thrust: 10/10
    Handling: 8/10
    Shield: 6/10

Another high-thrust ship that's simluar to Goteki in the current game, but I pictured it a bit different from Goteki: Levikas will have great handling instead of shields. However Goteki still has the great shields instead of handling which makes the two different

Morally I structured this ship in my mind for something like the model of EG.X's look in fury, but it could be made a tad different.
    Last edited by Whizzer The Hawk; 10th September 2009 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Adding more details...

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Quote Originally Posted by ACE-FLO View Post
    DJKyoto! - BoostAkira MKII is a very very cool design. Almost reminiscent of a Fury ship! Will the MKII get the 3D treatment? will you post the other elevations too? We'd all love to see them!
    I don't have any 3D software. What does everybody else use (i.e andy / designer_79) ?

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Co-director and Head of R+D is Designer_79, as far as i'm aware he uses Modo.

Studio Liverpool use Maya and custom coded tools.

Another good one is 3DS Max. hope this was helpful.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Messing with Google Sketchup atm. Since it's free ya know.

Long time before i'd be able to model my BAI craft tho.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    designer_79

Default use of 3d program

To give you guys some idea about the 3d modelling programs ...

ACE-FLO posted

Co-director and Head of R+D is Designer_79, as far as i'm aware he uses Modo.
    That's unfortunately not the case, Mu5 is using Modo as does Sumimasen who started a Wipeout project a long time ago and currently remodels the Fury Auricom in all detail , he posted this in a thread here where you could see the full power of Modo. Modo is very intuitive and all modelling happens in 1 viewport (3d view). Unfortunately the demo of the newest Version 401 is not yet available. Despite it's power it's one of the ''cheaper'' packages out there.

As for me I am using Cinema4D (4D because of it's animation powers) a 3d program by German developer Maxon ... it's a classical 4 viewport modeller (side top and front view as well as the 3d view). It's also one of the ''easier to learn packages'' but yet very powerful. Use it since my time in university.

Sketchup is free and easy but in terms of modelling techniques pretty limited , but if i see what andy and mdhay do with it , this statement is becoming somehow untrue

the high-end modellers used in most movie effect companies as well as game developers are Maya (Colin Berry informed me that SL works with it) or 3dStudio Max) but these progs really demand quite a lot of time to get the hang with them. But as a general suggestion: every 3d project gets a lot easier if you have thought about what you want to do in 2d first every 3d modlling prog can import 2d pictures for reference. its also common for example in the car design industry to design in 2d first , then do the modelling according to the blueprints. This workflow is highly recommended. I am afraid I can only provide help for Cinema4D but gonna change to Modo soon. For modelling tips in general feel free to ask (but Mu5 and Sumimasen are defenitely the masters here)

2d staging of my first WipEout model (dont laugh) : http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/alb...&pictureid=175
    And how the 2d reference in 3d works : http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/alb...&pictureid=172
    Last edited by designer_79; 11th September 2009 at 02:09 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

I'm having a blast with SketchUp atm. Should have a Model done of BAI by tomorrow or the weekend.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

WO HD is done using MAYA?? Thats awesome!! Gives me some ideas.

@Dj Kyoto-- There is also Z Brush (that works in conjunction with Maya). Excellent program. In fact my coder slapped together a wipEout ship using Pulse only as reference, animated a track section, and gave it a back-drop, in about 30 mins, using Z Brush.

Im loving this thread too.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

for 3d modeling, there is also gmax http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax which you can get for free. its kind of a simplified 3ds max, but the basic modeling process is the same.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Yoink!
    ....... This is, er, going to take a while.

@D79:
    I use Sketchup too, you know, so it is very untrue.

haha, thanks designer

got a bit of a rough plan done of what I should end up with - could well change though.

It's gonna use a little variable geometry (is that the right phrase?) and change it's shape mid race depending on what is needed (ie, speed or handling).
    Attached Images Attached Images

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Me likey.

That's the right phrase, by the way.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone remember a program called Bryce, and could vehicle design even be done in it? I know it was much loved by some visual artists.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Can't say I remember of it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

here are some sketches of the cumulonimbus symbol and a wo3 style top down view of the mk I ship. as you can see, im no graphic artist but hopefully these will inspire one of the more talented on this thread to offer an interpretation.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    designer_79

Lance Just out of curiosity, does anyone remember a program called Bryce, and could vehicle design even be done in it? I know it was much loved by some visual artists.
    Yeah I do remember, some time ago Bryce was like the fav of some car designers as well ... but I dunno why Bryce ceased to continue developing, or maybe just changed the name? Modo was called Lightwave before

Good shout Lance - Yeah I remember Bryce it rocked. Looks like Corel bought them over ...but its alive and well and the latest version is over at Daz3d.com

@Andy : Thats looking great mate

@BillyChan : Nice work

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    designer_79

Default Tez Dharkan Color scheme

OK, I have been quite busy last week, so this update on the Tez Dharkan is rather late and rather lame. Well, glad to say that at least the 2 main views are done now and 3D modelling is ready to begin. I heard rumour from the directors board, that there will be a news announcement regarding the latest activities in A.L.T.E.R.N HQ so stay tuned in this thread and enjoy the following paint scheme presentation

With best regards D79, Co-Director A.L.T.E.R.N. head of R&D division
    Last edited by designer_79; 11th September 2009 at 07:57 AM.

Looking cool mate

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Not bad for my first attempt at SketchUp only using a reference from the pic from page 17, but heres my crummy 3D attempt. Still got plenty of work to do on it, but the basic shape is done.

Still, BAI is taking form. Watch out Tez Dharkan!

Click
    Click
    3rd time lucky
    Last edited by djKyoto; 11th September 2009 at 12:44 PM.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

whoa whoa whoa!! hang on a second!!

that's your first sketchup attempt ever?!!

I want what kyoto's drinking, seems to do the trick

Very tasty

love this thread...