Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wipeout pulse vs wipeout hd

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by archman View Post
    About the headache...I got it too, so it sucks. I can't play older wipeouts .
    Baaaaahhhh archman, if this can make you feel better, I never played WipEout HD, because I don't have a PS3 .

Headache....mmmmhh....oh no....WipEout Fusion !

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    It's completely ridiculous but I think I would enjoy WOHD much more if it had some sort of option for displaying on an attached PSP, kinda like Lair did.
    Maybe ridiculous, but I agree!
    In the unlikely event of me actually buying a PS3, I'll be playing WOHD on a small computer monitor (with HDMI input), as I don't like the way WOHD plays on a big screen, and I never watch TV anyway. I still don't think I'll ever really enjoy that impossible handling though.
    But Pulse will remain my favourite by far, until a new WO I like better is released, no matter if people say Pulse is "dead" (whatever that means).

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

For me, Pure > Pulse but I definitely think that Pulse doesn't get due credit

I think that if Pulse hadn't been released in the wake of the very successful and widely played Pure, or if it had been released on a home console (perhaps PS2 at an earlier point in its lifespan), it would be much beloved and more active.

Once I pick up the DLC for Pulse-- hopefully within a few weeks now-- I will be playing LOTS of Pulse. Right now I am doing Pure time trialing mostly though...

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

The DLC tracks are awesome! Gemini Dam Black is my favourite track in the whole of Pulse.
    They all look amazing, and are all tricky but not too hard once you've learnt them, and they can be raced online (although not many people seem to play them).
    The ships are also fun to use, although they don't work online unfortunately, but are all as balanced yet unique as the standard ships.

Pure is a cool game, great atmosphere and track design, but the evil cheating AI is among the most infuriating gaming experiences ever for me.
    Maybe I'd have liked it more if I'd been around when it was still popular. Then again, I came to Pulse too late (got my PSP in Feb or March), and still rate it as one of my favourite games of all time.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    NightArh

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ACE-FLO View Post
    Our Admin, Rob, got it spot on when he said that HD tracks were an assault on the senses. I, for one, agree. Too much colour on some tracks.
    Your right. I lost my orientation on Talon's Junction yesterday when played it first time online because of transparant track. It is good for me I know half of tracks and it is only deal of time to adaptate to WOHD physics and those HD environment...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    arch595esc

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    Baaaaahhhh archman, if this can make you feel better, I never played WipEout HD, because I don't have a PS3 .
    Me neither, nor will.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Bah, if you love wipeout, the three games (pure-pulse-hd) are equally great !!
    With their advantages and defects
    I really can't choose any as my favorite, even if i play more on hd (because it's more comfortable for my eyes than the psp's tiny screen)

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Pulse is the best, since it has the largest in game content. Pure has too many stupid tracks, but it has some good DLC stuff in it. and HD is just way too small,

So Pulse wins this, thats what i recommend.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Anything that involves a real pad (a la DS3) is my winner.

After playing HD: Go and play some piano/roll a cig
    After playing pulse on psp: "£$"£%! MY HANDS! GIMME SOME ICE!!

Last edited by yeldar2097; 21st September 2009 at 03:59 PM.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Ha! I don't get any problems with the PSP compared to the DS3, which actually causes problems for me with it's stupid spongey L2 and R2 buttons. You do need to be careful not to hold a PSP too tightly though, yes, or it will cramp up your hands (getting drunk before playing helps with this, and also reduces eye-strain, as you don't/can't stare at the screen so hard ).
    But this is a point about the system, not the games. I'd happily play Pulse using a DS3 on a big screen over playing HD on a PSP, just because I prefer the way Pulse plays.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Yeah the L2, R2 buttons are a pain. I switched my brakes to L1, R1 instead cos I was getting cramp

Pulse is fine except I find it a bit too bouncy in places: Moa therma BR at the end is hard to control (for a pulse noob like me anyway )
    The end of Amphiseum White after a BR is a massive OMGWTFWHAAAAAA

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Hehe. True, that Moa W BR is a tough one, but is the only feature of the track other than the first chicane, which is also a bit tricky. Still doesn't save the track from tedium for me though.
    The Amphi W drop is easier if you boost before the drop, BR, land in the corner facing left, then BR again!
    I hold up on the dpad the majority of the time, so I don't get so much of the bounce, and if I want it for a BR, I just release up, or sometimes push down. I found that holding up on some of the nasty corners in WOHD prevents the bounce too, but doesn't seem to provide a speed/thrust boost like in Pulse (which is one huge improvement in WOHD IMO, although this BSB thing looks like the new Jaytech ).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmadSmartAlex View Post
    although this BSB thing looks like the new Jaytech .
    Yes it seems, except that bsb can't be advantageously used by average pilots, contrary to jaytech !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    arch595esc

So it's even worse, cause the most frustrations come from matches with experts, and those frustrations are risen by "cheats".

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Bsb is not a cheat, some calls that an "exploit", me i call that a technique. Like doing some difficult brs or shortcuts, that's all. And it only concerns HD speedlaps. It's a feature available INSIDE the game (not an outside element you can place under your psp stick). But i'll not start another "bsb war" on the pulse thread, lol. Only thing to say is that MrSmadSmartAlex is right when he compares bsb and jaytech, because both are ingenious finds (task for jaytech and Pirahpac for bsb), and both are controversial, but they're also totally differents !
    here's a bsb example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MttTY3GotRk

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

For the record, I don't really consider either of them "cheats" as such, although I never tried Jaytech, and only play WOHD casually at my friend's house. I just meant that they're similar in terms of all the controversy and arguments surrounding them, not to mention the entertainment factor for me (e.g. reading accusations of "You used ___!!!?! You're a cheater!?!?" XD).

But I guess BSB is worse than Jaytech though, because while Jaytech is just a lazy way of doing something that can be achieved manually, the removal of this BSB feature without resetting the tables is a bit - so Pulse wins!!!
    But I'm sure the BSB records can still be beaten with enough thought and practice, just like all the (non-cheated) Pulse records on wipeout-game.com can still be beaten.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    Yes it seems, except that bsb can't be advantageously used by average pilots, contrary to jaytech !
    Sounds like you are holding a bubbly white when you said that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I mean bsb is not a dishonored technique IMO. People that uses it don't take the easy way, i like that !
    Last edited by leungbok; 23rd September 2009 at 09:01 PM.