Apologies in advance if this is a tired subject, but I couldn't find any conclusive answers elsewhere.

I've set my heart on getting all the Wipeout HD trophies, and it's slow progress to say the least.

One thing that is really holding me back though, is that the barrel rolls are hugely hit or miss. I can understand this where you have to execute them in a split second - but in places such as the long drop at Chenghou Project, there's heaps of time to perform it - I waggle left, right, left, and even have time to repeat the whole thing two or maybe three times more, and still sometimes it fails to happen.

I can handle losing races because I make a mistake - but I'm increasingly concerned that it's an issue with my controller. Trouble is that I have two, and it happens with both of them.

I'm playing so much Wipeout HD, that being able to barrel roll every time I do LRL in the air would save me hours of time - but was wondering if it's just a common problem for everybody, and that if I bought a third controller it wouldn't make any difference?

Just to add, I'm hopeless with the D-Pad, can't even fly in a straight line - so this is just a question relating to the analog stick.

Any comments about your own experiences relating to the frequency of successful (easy) barrel rolls would be most welcome