Thread: Barrel Roll / Controller Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    Jimsin

Default Barrel Roll / Controller Question

Apologies in advance if this is a tired subject, but I couldn't find any conclusive answers elsewhere.

I've set my heart on getting all the Wipeout HD trophies, and it's slow progress to say the least.

One thing that is really holding me back though, is that the barrel rolls are hugely hit or miss. I can understand this where you have to execute them in a split second - but in places such as the long drop at Chenghou Project, there's heaps of time to perform it - I waggle left, right, left, and even have time to repeat the whole thing two or maybe three times more, and still sometimes it fails to happen.

I can handle losing races because I make a mistake - but I'm increasingly concerned that it's an issue with my controller. Trouble is that I have two, and it happens with both of them.

I'm playing so much Wipeout HD, that being able to barrel roll every time I do LRL in the air would save me hours of time - but was wondering if it's just a common problem for everybody, and that if I bought a third controller it wouldn't make any difference?

Just to add, I'm hopeless with the D-Pad, can't even fly in a straight line - so this is just a question relating to the analog stick.

Any comments about your own experiences relating to the frequency of successful (easy) barrel rolls would be most welcome

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

I'd say, at this point, I have about an 80% BR success rate. If you're only able to get off 2 or 3 attempts on the Chengou drop, it could be that you're not waggling LRL (or RLR) fast enough...it needs to be a pretty quick input. Having said that, the Chengou drop is a bit notorious for producing failed BR's, so who knows. Try waggling a little quicker and see if that helps with your BR consistency, in general. Just my thoughts...

PSN ID
    Jimsin

Many thanks for the reply.

It actually seems to me that I'm maybe waggling too quickly - it seems to happen more often if I do a slower, more pronounced waggle - but then that's not always working either.

Think I need to set up some sort of 'waggle lab' to see if the frequency varies from controller to controller. Wasn't so much of an issue before racing at elite, but now one failed barrel roll is often all it takes to be short of getting a gold. Think I might risk a new controller in the hope that it makes a difference. If it does I'll post here.

Still interested in hearing about anybody else's BR success rates though.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DividedXZero

I havent raced offline in ages, but online it just varies depending on how many racers and their connections. My BR success rate is anywhere from 50% (on a bad day) to 80%-90% on a good day. I hate the delayed reaction of BR sometimes (input BR but ship reacts as you are landing negating BR but not BR cost. But this is all online mind you.

And i use d-pad, always been more comfortable with wipeout. The only time is use analog was for Pulse and only to execute BRs.

Sorry i'm not much more help.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

if you're racing in single race or online you will find that from time to time you pretty much won't be able to perform any BRs (usually on a specific piece of track i find). it's just the way it is at the moment. hopefully it'll be fixed soon but you never know.

if you are having trouble doing BRs in speed lap or time trial then it's probably your technique or your controller.

so really it depends which mode you're having difficulty in

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

I doubt its your controller, I just bought a new Dual Shock pad the other day and still manage to fail a lot of barrel rolls on the Chengou drop. It never used to be this bad, I think the last major update screwed it up (as well as he ship handling).