Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An elite that is WipEout...

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

Exclamation An elite that is WipEout...

I think a main reason I love WipEout compared to any other game is that it's a very tight, small, elite community. You can go online with most games and find thousands upon thousands of people online, whereas with WipEout pretty much every lobby I enter I will find at least one person I've raced with in the past.

Most people don't 'understand' WipEout. Most of my friends don't understand the obsession with WipEout. They either haven't got into it, or don't want to. They don't quite get why WipEout is so special.

...and it's not popular for that reason. I was reading through the Fury details on PlayStation Blog and kept reading various gamers saying stuff like WipEout HD is far too hard, and it's loosing them customers as no-one can master it like most games. For me, this is a good thing. I've been playing WipEout HD pretty much every night since it was released, and still rarely do a lap that I'm happy with. I always want to better myself.

I admire players who have mastered this game like no-one else, such as Wotan998, ProblemSolver, IH8YOU, Connavar, Flashback_Jack and pirhapac. They're the elite of the elite. I only hope I'll be able to get half as good as them at some point, but I think it takes a naturally gifted talent to progress like they have. I seem to have hit a stage where I simply can't get any better, yet with them that stage is far superior to anyone else's stage.

Anyway, enough rambling... I'm just happy to be apart of something that a large percentage of people will never understand.

PSN ID
    PLazarou

On the contrary, I'd rather Wipeout had a much larger community. I don't want to recognise names every time I join a new host. If I want to race people I know, this can always be arranged. But a lot of the time it's more fun to be pwning noobs.

But more importantly, I think Wipeout is largely ignored because of the absolutely bollocks advertising. Sony could push this game into the limelight quite easily. Everyone needs to know how awesome this game is.

Re: bik3rluke:

Well, to some extent, it's like reallife open-wheel road racing. The elite really are the elite. The talent of the top performers is on a higher plane of existence. There is no faking it in F1 or WipEout. It's probably a combination of genetics and the kind of life they have lead that gives a certain outlook to them while they are performing. It is almost like dancing, when someone is capable of amazing precision of placement and timing, which requires that you don't consciously think and analyse while you're moving. To quote the character, Herne the Hunter, in the old Robin of Sherwood television series, "Act without thinking." That advice would probably help the performance of all of us, but would still fall short unless that superior nervous system is in you.

[BTW, I have too often found that I have to be totally tired or somewhat drunk to turn off that analytical thinking mode, but that may be just me or a few others who have trouble switching their conscious mind off so they can really "groove".]

PSN ID
    PLazarou

Let's not go too far Lance... F1 is a highly physical sport and you have to be a supreme athlete to be at the top of your game. Wipeout is... thumb-flicking.

I always go too far... which usually proves to have not been far enough.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Absolutely agree with the OP - I would like some more people online though, and I would definitely want this game to be a bit more accessible to newcomers still, so that some of my friends could get into it. It really takes a rather hardcore approach to start getting good at the game, to a point where one can actually enjoy his raceline.

Quote Originally Posted by bik3rluke View Post
    I think a main reason I love WipEout compared to any other game is that it's a very tight, small, elite community. You can go online with most games and find thousands upon thousands of people online, whereas with WipEout pretty much every lobby I enter I will find at least one person I've raced with in the past.

Most people don't 'understand' WipEout. Most of my friends don't understand the obsession with WipEout. They either haven't got into it, or don't want to. They don't quite get why WipEout is so special.

...and it's not popular for that reason. I was reading through the Fury details on PlayStation Blog and kept reading various gamers saying stuff like WipEout HD is far too hard, and it's loosing them customers as no-one can master it like most games. For me, this is a good thing. I've been playing WipEout HD pretty much every night since it was released, and still rarely do a lap that I'm happy with. I always want to better myself.

I admire players who have mastered this game like no-one else, such as Wotan998, ProblemSolver, IH8YOU, Connavar, Flashback_Jack and pirhapac. They're the elite of the elite. I only hope I'll be able to get half as good as them at some point, but I think it takes a naturally gifted talent to progress like they have. I seem to have hit a stage where I simply can't get any better, yet with them that stage is far superior to anyone else's stage.

Anyway, enough rambling... I'm just happy to be apart of something that a large percentage of people will never understand.
    I understand you...

was a bit like that in ridge racer on the 360..same elites playing again and again.

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    It really takes a rather hardcore approach to start getting good at the game, to a point where one can actually enjoy his raceline.
    Agreed completely.

I just wanna cuddle each and everyone of you pilots!

I think perfectionists like wipeout. i am a perfectionist, i want to do everything well and be the best. I played wipeout 1 when i was 10 and wanted to do a perfect time lap. I am like that in many aspects of my life maybe other players share this oppinion too....who knows

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

not to rain on the happy elite parade but if i'm not mistaken luke yesterday you were sitting backwards shooting at me and others in a few different races....i don't think your on the right path to getting good if that's how you spend time with wipeout.

PSN ID
    chboing

huhu love TheFrostE comments

PSN ID
    silverfoxy

If theres one thing that winds me up more than the ramming and lag its people who just sit on weapon pads trying to shoot you as they know they can't catch you properly.

PSN ID
    Hemicrania

Every community has elite's. For example, you do not want to **** with me in AvP2.

But I agree that most people don't understand the joy of a good wipeout race. I bought Burnout paradise the same day I downloaded Wipeout HD, but there's just something about wheels on asphalt...not that its a bad game.

Wipeout also triggers the imagination, the less you know about this universe the more you can fantasize about this future world. But thats another story.

Maybe Fury will trigger a shitload of new downloads/players. Would be nice. Only problem is, the wipeout elite have been playing these games for years and years. So its gonna take some serious skill defeating these guys. But you never know, maybe there's a Rafael Nadal out there who, by playing ONLY HD, can beat a Lance for example. I think its possible with Wipeout that there are some players who have a natural talent for the game, unlike other games wich are too much focussed on the casual game market.

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

Quote Originally Posted by TheFrostE View Post
    not to rain on the happy elite parade but if i'm not mistaken luke yesterday you were sitting backwards shooting at me and others in a few different races....i don't think your on the right path to getting good if that's how you spend time with wipeout.
    Not sure where you got that from, but no, I wasn't. I have done in the past just to see what would happen but I certainly didn't do it yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox073 View Post
    If theres one thing that winds me up more than the ramming and lag its people who just sit on weapon pads trying to shoot you as they know they can't catch you properly.
    Wow thats pathetic. They should patch the game so any racer whose craft dosnt move for 20 seconds gets booted off.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

bottom line, wipeout is NOT a sissy game, it's a highly competitive format, even in single player/offline... If you aint got the beans then you'll just give up.

I'm sure there are gamers out there who are bored with the current trend of games out there - too repetitive, been there, done that, oh look its CoD4, no wait, 5, oh look, Rainbow Six, no seven... lol...

If these gamers are looking for a real challenge, this is where they need to be, playing a wipeout...

With wipeout, the franchise really is evolving, the games are hard, they're pretty unforgiving, and the format is playable and addictive at the same time... as well as truly challenging!

With the advent of HD, it took the format to a whole new level, and now, with Fury... well, to prove a point, the amopunt of work gone into this latest installation to the franchise just makes us all think "WOW, they did it again, and they doing it better"

Each time a new wipeout comes out, the challenge of unlocking everything quickly takes me to another level of consciousness... I need to unlock as quickly as I can so I will miss meals, appointments, even sleep sometimes.

I only play pulse at the moment, y'all probably know that anyway... But with Fury on the brink of release, I need to get me a PS3, just for this game!!! Carnage FTW.

I know I'm gonna suck online for a while, but once I find my lines, I won't suck as bad!!! It's time I left the PSP anyway, the small screen just aggravates me!!!

EDIT: not leaving pulse, not yet... not when I'm getting messages from female members telling me they got Pulse, this I gotta see... A female pilot out for a kill - ****ing awesome!!!! - Go Jasmine-Jade... Pulse rocks!!!
    Last edited by ACE-FLO; 10th July 2009 at 09:31 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    NightArh

Great words bik3rluke! People are often asking me what video game I play... I answer Wipeout and they don't know what is it! They are playing different GTA's, COD's, WoW's and other popular games and cannot understand "how can I play this sht like wipeout" This game has very tight community (maybe like F1 or less) and that is great! I am happy developers are still working on this project! It has a great future

♥ wipEout!

I really want to buy PS3 Wipeout Fury Limited Edition

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

WipEout games always had a steep learning curve that demands dedication and determination to fully enjoy what's its all about. Not a lot of games allow this feature nowadays...

People who don't invest in practicing and improving reaction time and reflexes will never grab the awesomeness of its gameplay. And for me, that's a good thing. I find it so ridiculous that cry-babies beg to have SL tone down the difficulty... Pilot-Assist is already there for those narrow-minded people to have the possibility to foresee how good the game is when they give it a chance. If you're still not happy about that, then good ridance! WipEout games always sustained such hardcore challenge and everybody who adapted and practiced can acknowledge without hesitation that its where the real fun is.

Its hard so you can be BETTER. So you have a chance to become an elite. All ships are balanced, tracks mostly well designed (perhaps not the blind turn on top of the vertical maglock portion on Metropia Reverse). I even surprised myself that i've been able to compete with the "sluggish" Auricom! I never gave up, that's where i am now and WipEout is my drug.

Please send money now for my therapy.

Fury therapy?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

I'll agree it's competitive, but I admire the people that don't give up over the ones that win. Or I should say I'm looking forward to seeing more of them, and how they progress, over the ones that are already almost perfect. Because when get completely stomped on by every weapon all in the same lap or fall off multiple times or blow up multiple times, it takes a lot of guts (pretty word, I'll just a more realistic one: tolerance) to keep at it.

If you're having a bad streak and you just leave a race or tournament, I just don't like that. That's like saying you only play this game when you're winning. : (