Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An idea...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by chboing View Post
    lol come on darkdrium, be serious...
    I am serious. I'm a big FPS player and if ever we had the precision of WipEout HD's prediction code in any of those FPS games it would simply be unplayable online (See: The Darkness). There's no excuse like "oh it's only a racing game so it doesn't need to be as precise"... yes it does! Motorstorm, a launch title for the PS3, has better prediction code than this... I'm telling you, make the prediction code better and more precise and you wouldn't have any problems at all with ship lag.
    It was fine on the PSP because it's a small console, but for the PS3 I find it's absolutely ridiculous. WipEout deserves better.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    It was fine on the PSP because it's a small console, but for the PS3 I find it's absolutely ridiculous. WipEout deserves better.
    And it will be on the actual Wipeout game for ps3 that comes out on disc. I'm sure. This is just something to wet our whistles with, I think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipeout_PS3

If there are no such plans for a game, and they are just going to keep playing with this game for several more years, well then isn't that a shame.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

Quote Originally Posted by Handmadelion View Post
    And it will be on the actual Wipeout game for ps3 that comes out on disc. I'm sure.
    Is there really going to be a disc version?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I wouldn't believe everything written on Wikipedia.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't believe anything written on Wikipedia.

And I am 99% sure that there are no plans whatsoever for a 'next' WipEout game (which is not an expansion to HD) as of yet.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Well the best solution is to FIX the netcode ... maybe ask the Resistance guys.
    I wouldn't like the game without collisions, I mean it's part of the intensity
    of a race, otherwise let's just play TT.
    What they can also do is decrease the ramming effect.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    ... I wouldn't believe anything written on Wikipedia.
    Fully signed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    afatsuoM

Default Speculative?

This article contains information about an unreleased video game, and may change substantially as more information becomes available. Please do not add speculation to this article, and remember to cite a published source when adding information.
    Seems to me the entire page is speculative.

PSN ID
    PLazarou

That Wikipedia entry was created back when HD was just a proof of concept (a bit like Gran Turismo HD Concept - the free download before Prologue) but it turned into a much more significant project.

The amount of time SL have put into HD and the upcoming DLC indicates that HD has become the major Wipeout title for PS3.

It's highly unlikely that this is just a taster for a larger retail product.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Back to topic: Just one more thought here. Am I the only one who'd like to turn collisions off for the sole reason that the respective physics model seems inappropriate to begin with? I mean those ships are, what, 15 meters long? Then why do they feel like 10 grams toys?

Apart from that: Yes, I totally wanna turn it off, because I think even a weapons on race against ghosts would feel more "right" than it does now.

Ben
    Last edited by G'Kyl; 8th July 2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: grammar ;|

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Quote Originally Posted by nexusc View Post
    to me, racing without collisions kinda defeats the purpose.. when you are racing, the best line is not always the best option!
    Errm... Actually, it is. I got lot of experience in WipEout games and i can adopt a fairly decent racing line in WOHD most of the time, which can give someone a hard time catching up to me, even with Turbos and A-P. But i've been racing against players who use a far better line than me, they can literally shave whole seconds off me in a finger snap. So it is the best option, like most of any racing games out there!

Secondly, i agree with you, collisions in racing games are an important part of the gameplay. But in WOHD, its screwed up!!! This crap makes me go angrier than a set of Mines and Bombs dropped right into my face, and that's saying a lot xD The minute someones barely contacts my ship, i go drifting into a wall, just like cops when you see them trying to make lose control to a fugitive on the street...

So the best solution remains to be an option to turn collisions off, unless SL is able in some unexplained way to correct the situation and lag...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Quote Originally Posted by G'Kyl View Post
    Back to topic: Just one more thought here. Am I the only one who'd like to turn collisions off for the sole reason that the respective physics model seem unappropriate to begin with? I mean those ships are, what, 15 meters long? Then why do they feel like 10 grams toys?
    That was exactly my thoughts about this issue.

Let's say you take Auricom. This ship has a low coefficient of turning ability, its feels heavy. So if it has a lot of weight and mass to move around, it should actually be considered a heavy ship in WOHD physics, and having it ramming you with such mass and consequently gathering lots of velocity should send you disintegrating in a wall nearby.

Take this concept in account and apply it to Feisar. Being so swift would mean that the Feisar is the lightest ship around, no? It would be build taking in account that most materials should be light-weight to assure quick navigation when racing, right? It also means that Feisar cannot logically gather as much velocity as Auricom can, right? If all of this makes sense, at the best of my knowledge, THEN WHY THE HELL A FEISAR CAN RAM ME INTO A WALL LIKE IT WEIGHTS 50 TONS AND MY AURICOM IS MADE OUT OF PAPER?!?!?? >=(

PSN ID
    Mister_Mateo

@GKyl: I don't think they're that long, compare it to the pilot or the cockpit-cupola (don't know if it's called like this).

I'm not a fan of ghost races. This would take out much of the intense of races (at least from weapons on races). A much better solution would be to improve the code for online races.