Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An idea...

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

Exclamation An idea...

Has anyone ever suggested having a normal WipEout race but without contact? Many racing games have this option and I think it'd work well in WipEout.

I am sick and tired of taking the correct line around a corner, only for someone else to pile drive into me whilst the other 6 ships zoom past me and then all proceed to lay mines and bombs directly after.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone is aware, but the contact system is NOT accurate. I was racing with my step-dad (xTHORGODx) side-by-side on holiday and we were purposely avoiding contact with each other. On my screen I had flown past him and wasn't touching him what-so-ever, but on his screen I was next to him and was contentiously colliding with him. A lot of the contact with other ships won't actually be on purpose.

So, how about an option to turn collides off?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Exactly the thing i hate the most online (f****g ramming !).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Well the only way to avoid contact is to set your region settings to korea or Australia for example, when you're living in europe. Something of this kind happened to us last saturday; I joined kyoto, then after a bunch of races he let me the host. I kept it & hosted laggy ghost races lol. Definitely not a good solution though. I agree with you, I would be glad to turn the collisions off, regarding the PING differences we all have, and the way the predictive code handle these collisions. Most of the ramming is not on purpose.
    Last edited by kanar; 6th July 2009 at 09:50 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

I was just mentioning this yesterday in the online chat with Kanar, Zor, etc., etc.

Collusions are the bane of my existence and I am sure it happens more because I'm in Canada racing mostly Euro's. I don't know, but I would friggin' LOVE to see that option in the game.

Thumbs up

A 'hologram' race mode would be well cool

PSN ID
    silverfoxy

But these races wouldn't be the same without bumping, ramming and lag.

Would they ?? ................

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

The weapons would still work in this mode yes?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

Posted this in the "Small Changes" thread in the WO Future, but ya I am completely behind this.

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    The weapons would still work in this mode yes?
    Yep, I can't see any reason why not.

PSN ID
    PLazarou

I was going to make a new topic about this but my query is fairly relevant here...

Why is it that more often than not, if someone contacts me going at a similar speed, we get sort of stuck together until I'm rammed into wall and the other person gets ahead? (Along with several others usually)

It seems to happen far too often with me. I'm comfortably in the top three, and then suddenly I'm last because I've just become stuck to someone else. It's so frustrating. How does everyone else deal with it? Am I using a weak ship? Am I supposed to side-shift out of the stickyness? Maybe the game favours the ship with the more stable internet connection?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

I doubt it's glitching, but when a ****ing harimau sideshifts into you and it takes your health from full to zero and eliminates you, it kinda kills the fun of the race. This ship-raping in WOHD, for me, has given me the most accurate prison-life experience I'm likely to get.

I definitely support this idea if the ramming problems can`t be improved. I like to think that ships should actually be able to hit other ships because that is more realistic and challenging, but nothing takes the fun away from the game more than flying the most efficient line only to be banged off the course, or to be serially wall slammed into elimination by other pilots

I don`t believe that the situation can`t be made better though, with keeping collisions in. On Xlink Kai, which was a completely unnoficial and bodged way of playing online with Pure, the ramming was never this bad. I`m sure there must be a way to make it less of a pain without resorting to hologram ships, but if not then I think we definitely need it.

And why not have the option anyway? Pure had it for the TT races, but I would prefer to have (less damaging) collisions on for a more full-blooded race generally.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I've said this since the beginning. There needs to be an option for all ships to be ghosts, because the predictive code used is the worst I've seen in a game so far (Bar The Darkness.) Ship ramming is the reason I don't play online so much, physics and handling seem to be screwed around with once you hit online races.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

to me, racing without collisions kinda defeats the purpose.. when you are racing, the best line is not always the best option!

however i do think they should reduce the amount of "ram" damage that's done, and make it occur to both craft (if it doesn't already work that way) - "nose kills" are a bit of a joke...

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

Yes, I'd agree, but there's so much lag that the person doesn't even know he's colliding with you... So in that sense, it's completely luck and no skill. It should be removed if it cannot be fixed/improved.

For the record, I'm on 20mB Virgin Media cable in London. xTHORGODx is on 8mB ADSL and his is a LOT worse.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Virgin Media and their cable broadband products don't have a good reputation in this area. I've also experience first hand how poor they are.

PSN ID
    chboing

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    because the predictive code used is the worst I've seen in a game so far
    lol come on darkdrium, be serious...

i sometimes have some ramming problems but nothing really awful
    and once you understood the inside of a turn is the place to be when there are many people, you have no problems at all.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox073 View Post
    But these races wouldn't be the same without bumping, ramming and lag.
    WRC04 had online play where although you started at the exact same time as the other players, you played against their ghosts. It was intense - I really liked it.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

OutRun Online Arcade has an option to turn collisions off and it works very well, if not better with them off, although OutRun was always meant to be a single player game. If you do play with collisions on then it really messes it up if for instance one player has terrible lag and takes you out with one big swipe due to the lack of position prediction.

I'd say it's similar for WipEout HD. Even though the other ships are meant to be able to ram and collide the lag ruins it. The option to turn collisions off would really help a few people. I'd still race with collisions in a weapons race but without weapons I'd almost certainly turn collisions off most of the time.

As Rapier Racer mentioned, I also dislike Virgin Media's internet services. A bit of a whinge from me but I used to use Virgin Media's ADSL service, it was the most pitiful connection feasible. Their 20 kilobytes a second speeds were worse than the dial up I used to use. Their staff weren't very helpful either. I'd rather not use their services again .

PSN ID
    silverfoxy

I was trying to be sarcastic about the ramming before. I think Amorbis has summed it up perfectly IMO.

With regards to Virgin I use them but we were previously Blue Yonder then NTL. Connection here is always pretty decent. I'm on the L package. I don't know if it makes any difference or not but most people round here use Cable broadband as they made a real effort a few years back with their services (BlueYonder).

Another avenue I explored with the ramming issue was opening my ports and enabling my DMZ. The only game I absolutely have to do this for to be able to play online is PES (if you don't enable DMZ it won't let you connect). Tried this the other night on Wipeout (during Avalon) and if anything it made it worse and BRs were less responsive.

There do seem to be more and more people online lately and maybe all this extra demand is making collisions worse.

I'm no expert on all of this but thought I would put my views forward more explicitly than previously.