Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Response time

PSN ID
    stever

Default Controller response time and lag

Interesting article on measuring game response time

Makes the fact that I'm stuck at 2 hundredths of a second slower than zico all the more annoying. Wonder what the response time for HD is?
    Last edited by stever; 7th July 2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelled zico correctly ;)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Sort of explains the difficulty in achieving a BR onto the bridge in a ZICO attempt.

But I have found it is ad hoc anyway.

Readings change with the amount of charge left in the controller & what temperature the room is at,cold= slow,warm [24 to 36 degrees C= OK],Hotter= slow.

It might be caused by power supply drain from heating/cooling dropping the voltage to the PS3.

The PS3 will still work,but just not as optimally with regards to picking up the signal from the controllers.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I think the WOHD lag is also tied directly into CPU workload.

I've noticed, since waaaaay before 1.3 even - during Single Races / Campaign Races - it was the BR failure rate was abnormally high. During these races, the PS3 is rendering all ships, controlling the AI and obviously the track. One hell of a workload.

In the pre 1.3 online world - it didn't have to compute AI responses - it merely had to render the environment and what the other ships were doing.

In the post 1.3 world, it now has to wait until the last second, and upon receiving input from the server, render barrel rolls at the last second. (as they are now animated online / for other players) - I think this additional "last second" workload causes the PS3 to be "preoccupied" and it misses your fast input for a BR - which is usually occurring PRECISELY as you're attempting your input.

Further evidence of this: I've noticed in online races, when I'm way ahead or behind the pack - my BRs work - for the most part. But when there is another player - or players - immediately around me, especially directly in front of me - my BR failure rate goes waaaay up. As there my PS3 is now trying to animate their actions / BRs - and compute for inter-ship physics.

I dunno, could be lack of sleep here talking - but it seems to make sense. Also goes a long way in explaining why SL and TT BRs still work fine.

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

Sometimes I go over a weapon pad and it takes literally 2 seconds for it to give me the weapon.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

When i pick up a missile, it takes ages before an opponent be perfectly locked (red target). when i pass a pilot, it's reaaaally faster for me to be hitted by missiles.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Input-lag has spread like an epidemic. Whether it's my TV, my Amp,
    my DS3, or any given game, they all lag to a good portion. The tenor
    today is features, features, features! QA my a$$.

@stever: Welcome on board!

PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE

I've found the DS3 to be a bit of a weight nuisance creating output lag for my hands. So I've taken out the vibration servo's.. Without actually knowing I'd say they combined weigh the same as the rest of the controller

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Sort of explains the difficulty in achieving a BR onto the bridge in a ZICO attempt.

But I have found it is ad hoc anyway.

Readings change with the amount of charge left in the controller & what temperature the room is at,cold= slow,warm [24 to 36 degrees C= OK],Hotter= slow.

It might be caused by power supply drain from heating/cooling dropping the voltage to the PS3.

The PS3 will still work,but just not as optimally with regards to picking up the signal from the controllers.
    I am going to use this one day as an excuse for losing.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    Input-lag has spread like an epidemic. Whether it's my TV, my Amp,
    my DS3, or any given game, they all lag to a good portion. The tenor
    today is features, features, features! QA my a$$.
    Totally second that. Why don't they offer optic fiber connections in the packaging? Welcome here stever.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

One of the biggest factors (arguably the only one) is the television itself. Input Lag and what a manufacturer advertises as "response time" are not the same things. When you see a "response time" of say 4ms on the packaging of your new Samsung 50 inch tv, that is referring to the amount of time it takes one pixel to go from completely off to completely on... Input lag is determined by how long it takes the screen to show what is happening on an incoming signal.

There are a few things you can do to reduce/eliminate input lag:

- Use an HDMI cable whenever the option is available. Component cables are usually fine, but some TVs can't process the information as quickly.
    - Turn on "game mode" if your TV has it.
    - Turn off "Noise reduction"
    - Turn off "Auto-Contrast"
    - play your game in your TV's native resolution; ie 1080p tv? set your PS3/360 to 1080p.
    - adjust the picture size to "Unscaled" or "just fit" or something similar. TVs typically overscan a signal just a bit to compensate for garbage on the outer edge of the picture, but games utilize every pixel of the image. When a TV has to stretch an incoming signal, it adds more processing time to the final display. Picture size is usually accessible on every TV, and an unscaled option exists alongside other options like "stretch" "smart stretch" "4:3" "16:9" "zoom" etc. Also, displaying the picture in unscaled mode gives you just a little bit more of the image in general

Basically, the focus is on making sure the TV is doing the absolute least amount of work/processing to an incoming signal. My TV is so fast that I can actually play even a crappy a composite (yellow RCA cable) 480i signal with nearly imperceptible input lag.

Also, do not use any kind of switchbox/entertainment center to switch between different devices. Some amps have multiple HDMI inputs so it acts as a switcher, but they often add a bit of signal lag as well. Use your TV to switch devices, then run a single optical audio cable from the TV's out-jack to the receiver.

Test different TVs in stores before you buy them; drag your 360 or ps3 with you and just say you want to demo it yourself. Make sure they give you the remote, too, because some options and menus can't be accessed with out it (for example, game mode is only available through a button on my remote).
    Last edited by AG-wolf; 7th July 2009 at 04:30 AM.

PSN ID
    stever

@ProblemSolver/Kanar: thanks for the welcomes. I'm a long time WipEout veteran but have only just found the site and started getting into HD again after a long stint concentrating on Burnout Paradise. Really looking forward to Fury as well now though.

@AG-wolf: thanks the for comprehensive response. I think I've got most of my set-up to match that but will check when I get home this evening. In order to keep Dolby Digital sound I take the optical audio straight to the amp rather than going via the TV and switch sources on the amp and the TV separately, which is a bit of a faff but does keep the amp from introducing lag as you suggest. I'd be quite interested to try the test in the article though to see how much lag I am getting, as with games that run at the speed of wipEout any lag will have a big knock on effect on performance.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Quote Originally Posted by AG-wolf View Post
    Also, do not use any kind of switchbox/entertainment center to switch between different devices. Some amps have multiple HDMI inputs so it acts as a switcher, but they often add a bit of signal lag as well. Use your TV to switch devices, then run a single optical audio cable from the TV's out-jack to the receiver.
    Thanks for this tip, AG-wolf. Currently, I'm running all my HDMI cables directly into my receiver which, as you said, is acting a switcher. Right when I get home today, I'm going to change things, per your advice. Positive rep is on it's way to you!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Digital Foundry and Gamasutra have made some tests on measuring
    responsiveness in video games, i.e. controller lag. It seem that the XMB lags
    at least 3 frames (50ms = 3/60fps) behind, which can be read off from the
    Gamasutra article linked in the first post. Whether the PS3 can to 2/60s or
    even 1/60s is, up to my knowledge, unknown. The Hypervisor may take its time.

In Feb 2010 Digital Foundry has tested some 60fps games and their
    responsiveness, like

Ridge Racer 7 - 66ms,
    Street Fighter IV - 66ms, and
    WipEout HD - 84ms.

[Ref] Digital Foundry vs. Console Lag: Round Two
    (page 3 includes the material about WipEout HD)

In essence, we lag 5 frames (~84ms) behind, and one frame behind Ridge
    Racer 7 and Street Fighter IV (4 frames, ~66ms). I'm questioned about why
    WipEout HD looses an additional frame? It seems unnecessary. Could be an SPE
    synchronization issue. And from my experience I can tell that WipEout HD's
    responsiveness isn't constant over time. On slowdowns / framedrops the input
    takes much longer. This won't be a big issue for normal races, but in ZONE it
    can kill you. Anyways. I think that some wipeeps playing Ridge Racer 7 or
    Street Fighter IV will tell that these games feel a bit more responsive than
    WipEout HD.
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 24th May 2010 at 12:00 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

really interesting find PS. not sure how noticeable this is to mere mortals. but whether we realize it or not response time can be crucial in all games. and more so in games like wipeout where just the slightest lag can throw you off a BR, or SS input

The lag really kills you when the game does not respond, so you keep turning because you ship does not respond, then into a wall (multiplayer that is). for me anyway, I love playing TT, but when I play multiplayer right after, it feels terrible.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

I've always been notorious for playing online a helluva lot more than offline, infact, I'm of the view that for active competition - if you wanna improve, just go online. Yes, there is lag, frame drops and all sorts of bugs that hinder pilots - but I take that as a given, and try my best to adjust accordingly.

Though offline makes for a much more smoother gaming experience, I find that I cannot sit there and play for more than two races before I go online for like 3 or 4... maybe 5 hours to race. I guess TT and SL would help me to improve alot more but I cant be bothered really lol

I've already optimized my HDTV settings to minimize lag (Game mode), and am using an expensive HDMI cable for connection - I found this helped slightly, but lag is still apparent, though nowhere as much as before when I used scart lead.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

@Ace: no need for an "expensive" HDMI cable... I've never paid more than a dollar per foot and they work just fine lol

I still question this website's measure of "response time" in games, because they make no mention of whether or not they've optimized their displays before executing their tests... their TV could have 80ms input lag on top of whatever "frames" they're measuring with their cameras... or they could simply be measuring their own setup's input lag and nothing else lol

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

meh, i paid 60 squids, deep fried with batter for it... i coulda just paid a portion of chips? i'm such a dick

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

http://www.newegg.com

the dollar per foot is a bit of an exaggeration, but really, I have three 6ft cables and I don't think I paid more than 10 bucks each.

You do have to realize, some of the ludicrously cheap Hong-Kong discount brands CAN be pretty crappy... if the gauge of the wire they use is too small, it may not be able to transmit a full 1080p signal with full surround-sound without a degradation in quality. I've seen some cables no thicker than an old game controller cord, and I wouldn't waste my time with those, but the ones I picked up are substantially thicker and have better insulation, and I've never had any issues

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

mine is wrapped in nylon kevlar type windy bitch hard strong stuff, and is only 1.5 metres long, with gold plated bits, made by Cambridge Audio.

Was told, "the shorter the cable, the better the response time" - so I chose the most expensive one with the shortest available cable.

Oh well, I guess i'm a mug then...