Thread: Best gamepad for WOHD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sh1kamaru-

Got it, now I feel like giving pros and cons about this one :

Pros :
    - as you said the DPad is just fantastic
    - reprogrammable buttons : that's really a great feature, I'm using it right now to switch the triggers with the third pair
    - amazing ergonomy : the DS3 was too small IMHO, this one stick in your hands and the grip is awesome

Cons :
    - rumble does not work, even if it has it, it's not handled for the PS3, I miss it somehow, I liked "feeling" when I hit the walls or go on a boost
    - less precise analog stick : it's a bit smaller, I think I just gotta get used to it, but on the other side BRs can be a bit easier too, if you don't use the DPad
    - the [LR][12] triggers are really bad, hopefully the third pair of trigger is just way better and better than the DS3 triggers

Overall a great alternative to the DS3 assuming you don't mind having a wired pad (the cable is quite long though)

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Question Third-party PS3 controllers?

So I finally figured out what I hate about Wipeout HD's handling - it's the airbrakes. There's actually nothing wrong with the airbrakes themselves, but with those worthless "triggers" on the DualShock 3 controller. They're unresponsive and take real effort to push; it's absolutely horrible. It's like squeezing little marshmallows. The airbrakes require finesse and tight control, and those awful little nubs don't have it at all.

So, I'm here to ask you guys a question: what are the best third-party PS3 controllers? I tried using the R1 and L1 buttons on the DualShock 3, but they're too high up and feel awkward, and I don't do any better. I really want to like this game more, but I can't see myself being very good at it with my current controller.

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

Have you tried using R1 for acceleration and square and triangle for airbrakes? I can't play any other way...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

I never thought of that. I'll try it sometime.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Have you tried adjusting the air brake sensitivity in options>controls,the lower the % the more sensitive.
    Then you also have those little plastic clip on things that make using the triggers easier,I'm sure some here use them already and know what I'm talking about and will supply a link

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I was looking for something recently too, having broken the L1 button on another controller. I didn't want to pay the money for a new one just for WOHD, but in the end I Couldn't find anything I liked the look of, so I bought the Gioteck real triggers. When I tried the trigger buttons without them I was hopeless, but with them I'm reasonable. They still aren't as good as L1/R1 for me but if you prefer more control with something like the triggers anyway then it could be the best option. They're very cheap so worth a try.

After a search, there seem to be a lot of threads about controls and a few that venture into controllers.

Some useful threads:
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...ght=controller
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...ght=controller

As a general thought, you can be good with any control setup. I used to always wonder about d-pad vs. stick, for example, and would sometimes try to blame my setup for not being as good as I wanted to be, but it's really not about the controller at all (for most people), it's just about practice.

The threads for control setups and controllers are so numerous and spread out that, in order to keep it a bit more organised, I've to merged the thread "Third-party PS3 controllers?" with this "Best Gamepad for WOHD" thread.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

I use an original PSX Dual Shock with USB adapter;

+ d-pad has very little travel, so BRs are much easier to pull off in comparison to the DS2/DS3
    + all buttons are digital (not pressure sensitive like DS2/DS3), so if you're pressing them then the machine interprets each press as 100% pressure
    + no mushy triggers

- hard to find one with analog sticks that haven't been used and abused
    - no motion-sensing (though if you don't have games that require it, it's not a big deal)

If I need "Home" access, i just keep a normal DS3 at my side.

The Saturn controller is a good one to look into, both the US/European and the Japanese models.

I dunno, it depends on how you play, too... I keep airbrake and acceleration sensitivity as low as possible so gas and brakes are all or nothing when I use them. Unfortunately it's not exactly easy to try out tons of different controllers without spending a lot of money...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Have you tried adjusting the air brake sensitivity in options>controls,the lower the % the more sensitive.
    Since day one. The problem is that the "triggers" themselves are unresponsive and uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Then you also have those little plastic clip on things that make using the triggers easier,I'm sure some here use them already and know what I'm talking about and will supply a link
    Trigger extensions? No; I'm looking for something closer to a button, or maybe the resistance of the original XBOX's triggers without the travel distance.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Dualshock 2 with USB adapter probs fits that bill the best. Haven't really used any other pads except for GC, N64, xbox on occasion, but I'm too used to playstation Controllers to like anything else very much. Living in a Sony bubble over here

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Tried the DS2+adapter here. It sucks for HD if you want to be fast, due to the full analogue buttons, like AG-wolf mentions. You can't do sideshifts and barrel rolls nearly as well. It could depend on the adapter though, so others' experiences may differ. AG-wolf also advised me about the DS1 and I trust what he says, so if you have one then the adapter is probably worth a try to attempt a solution at low cost. The DS3+Gioteck real triggers is actually better for me than the DS2 as I can just press them very high up/far forward to quickly sideshift, and then if I want a bit more control on a particular corner I can push down further back on the button where there'll be more travel. Again, a potential very low cost option for anyone in the same position to try, if they're not already dead set against triggers altogether.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

You know, after doing a bit of reading, I've come to the conclusion that trigger extensions just might be the thing for me. Now I just need to order them.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Well, I got the trigger extensions, and they were actually worse than the normal triggers. They curved too much, like they were trying to push my thumbs away.

Thankfully, I've developed a light enough touch that I no longer have trouble with the normal triggers. Progress!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

@ Yeldar & Saturn
    you can use a DS1 with the DS2->USB adapter