Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The day I lost my job....

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Default The day I lost my job....

...was the 1st of april 2009 (and no, this is no belated april's fool). That was the day the company, which I had joined in january this year, presented me my layoff. I wasn't told the reasons why they fired me even though I asked them twice, but all I was told in a harsh voice was „You know we don't have to tell you, so we are not going to do so!“. After one day of being angry and shocked - I was thinking „how bloody hell am I going to find a new job now, right in the middle of one of the world's biggest financial crises“ - I decided to take my financial fate into my own hands from now on. I decided to start up my own company for private and buisiness financial consulting. I told my lawyer to check the situation concering my old comapany, set up my business plan and handed in all the necessary documents for starting up my own company at the competent government agency in my hometown. I also phoned a lot of my contacts and friends I had made over the last few years and got my first promises for future buisiness partnership almost immediately. On june 3rd my request for starting my own company was finally approved by our government. Since that day I am now officially my own boss and do a job which is really fun doing for me. The first three weeks have started out great and if everyone of my customers is paying their bills to me properly I won't have to think about money for the next few weeks to come. The thing I've learned from this situation is that there will always be friends and people helping you if you just stay true to yourself and focus on creating your future instead of mourning over some bad things that happened to you in the past.

I really don't know for sure why I am telling you all this. I guess that, as a long time member of this site, I just felt like doing so. And I think another reason is to tell you guys to always keep your head up even if life's a real bitch for you sometimes. Never give up, never loose hope! There will always be a way to deal with whatever troubles you might have to face in life and you'll always become stronger when you've sucessfully tackled one of the problems life is throwing into your way.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Good luck being your own boss.
    I am not but my brother is and I know it can be hard sometimes. Just keep up the good work.

BTW you gotta love the way German people use quotation marks.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DividedXZero

Sorry about your job, but the outcome seems great though!
    I hope it all works out for you, especially with the current economy. I got laid off february of '08. Went almost the entire year before i got another "stable" job, but do to a single "mistake" 10yrs ago...my employment options are limited.

Congratulations Tom, it took a lot of guts to start up on your own and it sounds like you made the right decision. I`ve been working like my own boss for years, but the problem with that can be that the work and the responsibility becomes your new boss so you can end up doing crazy hours and all your hair falls out with worry! When you have a personal stake you will do crazy things. However, the good side is that you don`t have to put up with office politics and you don`t have to suffer bastards - and the kind of treatment you got in your old job.

I think you have done bloody well and I`m not sure I would like to start up again all on my own like you have done. Best of luck with it all, but don`t neglect your Time Cop duties.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Congratulations on loosing your job! Well, you know what I mean. Like you said every tough situation can bring a good experience. We talked about these things at the EWC. You really have set your mind to do things you want and therefore you will succeed. Also when your company will only survive for a few years. You tried it, you did it and took the opportunities life gave you. Every day we learn something new and we will grow from it. Tom, you are doing what you want and I think you are one happy man right now. Enjoy it to the fullest, you will. I wish you good luck and a bright future.

Greetz Mad-Ice

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Yeah well done mate becoming your own boss after **** like that Christ what was company like to work for...

You've got the right attitude there.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    arch595esc

Congratz on this achievement. (I already knew you were running something on your own, cause you told me by one chance on msn...yeah, me bugging for Pure lol) From this text we, the younger peeps, can draw some thoughts and ideas and build ourselves with them and get stronger.
    But when you "grown up" guys tell: "Never give up, never loose hope!", that really wakes another bright bit in me. The continual of my optimism.
    Thanks for the words and I wish you all the luck in your work!

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Remember, we had alot of private conversations! and the bottom line is, you WILL get there in the end!

Stick in mate and you WILL prosper!

And lastly, we WILL meet again in near future!!!!!!

stevie

Congratulations, Tom, on taking your fate into your own hands. The administration of a private business is a lot of work and attention to details that don't always make sense because of a high degree of government regulation, but the rewards can be great. Whatever you do and whatever its result, you are controlling your own life. Good luck to you.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Wünderbar mein Freund Thomas
    We did talked about this at ECW, you were very close to start your own business, now i am happy for you , your 1st customers did helped you like they promised to you : there's always trusful people : we only have to find them!
    But there's someone much more closer to you than your customers who did helped you a lot to give you the confidence you deserved to run your business, kudos to her ( ahhh and she got a french 1stname Yvonne,right? )

All my wishes of success for your business Tom

PSN ID
    chboing

congratulation, inspiring !
    best wishes of success !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

Great to hear that you are doing well on your own. Good luck with your business. Cheers!

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    NightArh

Persistence and struggle for justice must be rewarded! Wish you the best in your business

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thanks for all the kind words and good wishes my friends. I really appreciate that guys!

To be true, I didn't imagine that starting up a company involved THAT MUCH government fees and paperwork only for getting approved by the government. The first week I was literally only running from one government office to the next, then off to the copy shop to copy all the necessary papers and back to the offices again, then off to the office cashier to pay some stupid fees... (rinse and repeat) But I think the worst part of this is now lying behind me and I can concentrate almost fully on my work now.

It's true that being your own boss involves a lot of work, discipline and responsibility. But I assure you it pays off. Like lunar said you don't have to put up with office politics anymore and you can choose with which "bastards" you want to work and with which ones you don't. Also, even though you might have to work far more hours every week than in an employment, you can choose when you want to do your work and don't have to stick to certain office hours. I've already experienced those days where I'm having my first business appointment somwhere around 8 am and come back home from my last customer around 10 pm, but I always know I'll be getting paid for every single hour I invest into my customers (even if it's not in money, but in terms of acknowledgement) and I rather do overtime hours for my own company than for one that doesn't belong to myself. And another thing is that I now do the job I like and I have fun doing, and I don't do the work somebody else feels is fitting me. I cannot put words to the feeling I have right now when I come back home after a long day full of work, but if I look into the mirror after one of those days I can see myself smiling and that's a good thing!

And no, I'll definately not neglect my duties as a time cop here at the Zone. I'm very proud that Rob and all you guys have approved and are respecting me to be WZ's one and only (part) time cop So thank you for that too!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Thomas, what is this new business?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

I only just stumbled across this thread - so cool to hear things are working out as planned, Tom! I remember you telling me about how you wanted to set up your counseling business and I can honestly say: If I were in a position (business-wise and geographically ) I'd be among your first customers. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Btw: I know you were a huge fan - are you still into Monster Hunter?

*waves from up north*,
    Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by RJ O'Connell View Post
    Thomas, what is this new business?
    My company offers financial consulting to private and business clients. That means that for example I'm helping private clients to find the right kind of investment for their money. Because I'm not getting paid provisions or bonuses for selling invesments to customers (like a banker or maybe an investment broker) I can really concentrate on the individual financial needs of every one of my clients (like security, flexibility,...). For business clients I offer services like helping them out with their business plans and creating their financial forecasts. I also can be their helping hand in any banking appointments they have, for example if they have to present themselves and their own companies to the bank to get a new loan. I also know a lot about the government regulations for public funds and help my clients to get money out of those funds for their private and/or business invesments (like renovating their old house or investing in a new machine for their company).
    I'm concentrating on helping the small businesses like the typical one-man carpenter companies and that is where I am different from most other financial consultants here in germany who only want to make fast money by consulting the big companies and business groups.

Quote Originally Posted by G'Kyl View Post
    Btw: I know you were a huge fan - are you still into Monster Hunter
    Yes I am! I've started with Monster Hunter Freedom 2 about two months back and still play the first part of the series sometimes, too. I'm online with kai playing some monster hunter quite often in the later evenings. If you want to join in and do a few hunts together, let me know. I'll be glad to fight at your side against the most evil wyverns and dragons

I was made redundant on 20th March 2009 after 5 years as a self employed consultant. Being your own boss is the way forward.
    Last edited by Norfolk'n'Clue; 25th May 2014 at 06:22 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I'm very glad to read all this Tom!

At the convention I believe you were already saying that you were at a "good period of your life" (don't know how to say this) and it seems like it's getting even better! Congratulations!

I hope that you'll have good stories to tell us about your company at the next convention!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

/offtopic

I just found this - seeing as you like Monster Hunter, you may wanna take a look, Tom