Thread: How do you handle THAT corner on Chengou Project

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Default How do you handle THAT corner on Chengou Project

I was wondering what you guys and girls think is the best way to handle the hairpin corner on Chengou Project (forward and reverse). I go from the outside of the corner in, and just rely on my airbrakes without letting go of the accelerator. It does involve bumping into the outside of the track on the other side of the corner, but I find theres hardly any speed loss. I assume theres a better way to do it (and I cant get the hang of side shifting round corners).

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Swing over to the right after the speed pad, then immediately hard left and brake to skim the apex, and finally sideshift left as much as possible to finish. May lift off a tad if I undercook it. Works 4 times out of 5 for me, the other time I twat the apex and grind to a halt, but that's life

This video illustrates it well, Lap 4 is probably the best example
    http://www.wegame.com/watch/Wipeout_...ound_2_Race_4/
    Last edited by Hellfire_WZ; 20th June 2009 at 10:53 PM.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

I use the wall going forwards. Sideshifting left off it onto the speed pad. Hitting the speed pads priority no.1 though, as hitting the ledge on the way downs just nasty, over sideshifting and missing the pad can be a bugger.

Reverse, ill let go of accelerator for a split second. Id rather lose a teeny tiny bit of time going round that corner, and have the line bang on to sideshift left and br off the next speed pad. Many races won and lost on that section.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BlochNWhitey

Well, I'll typically hang to the right side of the course, instead of going over the speedpad just to make it easier to line up, with Mirage and Qirex I've been able to cut the corner tight enough and not hit the outside wall, staying on the accelerator the whole time.

The reverse turn is however a piece of cake really.. Just cut it tight from the left wall beforehand and sideshift to the right when necessary.

PSN ID
    Reezellthia

I take the wall hit on the right, then get over to hit the speed pad and pitch up so I can fly over the middle ramp.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I tend to hit the wall, or at least try not to hit the wall too badly, then side shift into the middle of the track. It's best to go to the outside and take it as tight as possible. This is quite an issue as I'm a Piranha pilot, other heavy ship users I'm guessing find it difficult as well.

Here's an old video of mine pre-Piranha that demonstrates it better than words.

PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE

On forward I approach through the inside of the off-camber right-hand bend, taking both speedpads, then sideshift to the right to turn full to the left, let go of the throttle and immediatly reapply it, then sideshift leftwards into the corner clearing the inside wall and flying directly onto the speedpad. At least, that's what I always aim for but manage to succesfully pull of when noone is in the way and when I either am lucky or am feeling lucky

On reverse it's pretty much the same. Approaching from the middle taking the speedpad, sway to the left, turn sharp to the right into the inside of the corner, release the throttle and immediatly push it again and sideshift to the right into it passing right over the rightside speedpad.

I've only been succesfull at that since a few weeks when I've been trying the Harimau. Have been able to pull occasional perfect laps on both in Icaras as well since then. I have throttle set to 30% atm.
    Last edited by AnErare; 21st June 2009 at 06:44 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Alot and alot of ****ing around with the left airbrake and throttle control, ive mastered that bend with Triakis now. Plus left down pitch with the dpad helps as well. A true cunty corner i agree. Thats why i like the Pulse tracks better

Great thread. Here`s my "method"

Forward: cross start/finish, take the weapon pad in a race, speed pad in a TT. Pitch down over the right hand hill crest, see that corner, start to formulate vague idea of how I will take the corner, realise corner will arrive before plan is formulated, and before ship is stable and in a position to attempt corner. Then I apply random braking, sideshift and steering movements with general aim of an immediate left turn, crash into wall or lose speed hopelessly with chicken-release of thrust at apex, then after corner wobble and wait for acceleration to arrive, watch speed pad pass by to left of ship. Go over drop, think about maybe doing a barrel roll, probably too late, if not then fly on side towards wall, crash.... etc and re-apply next lap.

Really it`s very interesting for me to read all this and fascinating that there are so many methods. Despite going round this corner over a million times in Pure and HD I still don`t really have a "method." I play Chenghou least of all HD tracks and should work on it.

On Reverse I find it a lot easier. I have to be feeling it, but if I am I just sense the braking point, brake hard and turn right. Easy, but only if I`m in the mood.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

LOL Stephen!

While there are many techniques that work, I would definitely try to swerve away from the turn just before it, and then directly into the apex. Gets your rear swinging out a bit and helps with the turn. Also, sideshift near the middle/end of the turn is crucial if you are in a heavier ship and don't want to break off your nose.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Nuff said from mr wotan

my methods
    method 1: turn in --> smack wall --> get overtaken --> start swearing - 99% success rate
    method 2: BR onto the speedpad airbraking right while doing so (so you head over to the right when you land) --> jam the steering left + left airbrake --> sideshift timing depends on what ship you're using really - 1% success rate

edit: this is just for the forward version
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 21st June 2009 at 11:01 AM.

@ method 1 Yeldar. Glad to see we all have our tried and trusted techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    I would definitely try to swerve away from the turn just before it, and then directly into the apex. Gets your rear swinging out a bit and helps with the turn.
    In all seriousness, I think that`s a great description of a technique that I have seen Mad-Ice do in his videos and which does work in a lot of places. It works a charm on the Chenghou hairpin in the reverse direction. I noticed in a video that Mad-Ice approaches it by flying on the right side of the straight before the turn, which results in some rear end swinging action that helps with the corner. If I approach this corner from wide left I find that I am doomed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    In all seriousness, I think that`s a great description of a technique that I have seen Mad-Ice do in his videos and which does work in a lot of places. ...
    This technique is even used by racecar drivers to build up grip (alas to
    put load) on the outside tyres whereas in WipEout HD we only profit from
    the momentum shift. Another (big) advantage is that the corner entry point
    is smoothed out because one drives a little arc with curvature adjusted
    by the airbrakes. Well, that's how I do it in ZONE. I was very close to
    get through that turn at zone 30 without a scratch! And I will do so next
    time, if someone kicks me off from place 1. xD
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 21st June 2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Chenghou forward

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

Saw hellfire's link to video.
    and i think Autopilot own, ship is almost going backwards!!!

anyway, that's how i "try" to do... Ok with Harimau, almost with Qirex, but it often finished as a fail...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sny83

Quote Originally Posted by Reezy View Post
    I take the wall hit on the right, then get over to hit the speed pad and pitch up so I can fly over the middle ramp.
    I do the same for now, since I couldn't find anything faster so far... then again, I just got the hang of sideshifting while grinding out the elite phantom gold on Sebenco Climb, so I should revisit that corner after the Elite Campaign Legend trophy is done.

On a side note, I really like how elite phantom tracks force me into learning or mastering new moves and controls... whereas you can beat all of them on novice without pitching or sideshifting, I found Chenghou forward impossible to beat without pitching up after that corner to hover over the middle platform, and Sebenco forward equally impossible without sideshifting at the very first corner... I wonder what new tricks Ubermall and Sol 2 elite phantom will force on me, those are the only two I'm missing now.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BlochNWhitey

As a side note on this, I happen to deeply despise the long reverse-banked turn after the sharp corner on chenghou. I almost find it the hardest turn, always feel like i'm going way too slow during it.

PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE

That probably is because of it's camber. Visually it is supposed to go the other way, which tricks your mind into thinking what you see is slowing you down. But it doesn't and slightly it isn't That corner is not fast because of this, you could try to pitch your nose into the track to compensate but it will always seem to be a slow bend. Also sideshifting into it halfway down makes it possible to realign your barrel to maintain momentum and makes it easier to barrelroll between 1/2 / 3/4 on both rev and fwd At least that is my experience.

I just close my eyes , works most of the time, but sometimes

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BlochNWhitey

Well, I do have pitch on SixAxis, and I point my nose down and can get the turn quite good 90% of the time. Still doesn't stop me from hating it though. D: