Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Playing Pulse on PS2 right now

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I found it and enabled it. It's helped a lot but they're still quite long considering the hardware it's running on
    Better than nothing. Now if the shadows could be fixed...

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

I've tried running it on the emulator, but the control lag is really off-putting. Shame really, as upscaled it looks bloody good!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I don't have much lag, but I suspect there is still some yes. Maybe like 50ms.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Interesting, mine is much higher and is very noticeable. Will have to see if there's a way to reduce it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I remember disabling an option to fix that... I had some too before. Don't remember what option though sorry.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

I'll have a play around with it tomorrow. Thanks

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I really hate it that I can't remember, because it's exactly the type of situation I hate when I read old forum threads and the OP comes back with "nvm fixed it" without the actual explanation.

This game plays great on my system. I downloaded it to the hard drive on my ps2, and it loads very fast. The handling is different, like the beta on the psp. Also, the ps2 Negcon I made is pretty cool with it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I made a video of it running on my PC.
    I wish Youtube wasn't so bad with encoding. This was uploaded at 10MBps, double the recommended 5MBps for video... Guess I'm wasting bandwidth. Maybe with a 1080p upload it's different and not so awful?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I thought about searching Ebay for a PS2 copy of this as I've never got around to doing it, but then remembered reading about the loooong loading times.
    As I have a FAT PS2, I looked into buying a network adapter and putting in a old HD to lessen the loading times, but after calculating the overall cost [adapter/PS2 disc/postage] and then reading about the game save problem, started thinking about emulation/PC after viewing your video Darkdrium, which looked very tempting, as it doesn't seem to need a hugely expensive VC to look very good indeed.

While searching for a PS2 version of PULSE, I got a link to a PSP GO! 2nd hand with docking station with AV out, which I've just bought for the same price that the PS2 disc would of cost me with postage [I can't remember ever seeing it released here in Aus, pretty sure it was Europe only]

Next stop after getting the GO! was to buy a component AV out cable for the GO! .....$4.50 free postage

My plan is to have the GO! permanently sitting in the dock, run the AV cable into the new Yamaha surround amp, as it does video upscaling, then depending on how good the results are with that, either run it into the projector [I'm hoping for a lot here I know] or the Sony TV, and run the TV's 3D processing.

I've done the same with the PS2 playing WO FUSION and the results are stunning.
    The only reason I haven't really got stuck into playing FUSION again is because of the horrible loading times, but after reading about the PS2 HD/adapter upgrade [which I was blissfully unaware of, as I have never used the PS2 much], it looks like that will probably happen as well.

The best thing about this GO! setup will be that I can mate a wireless PS3 controller to it and use that, and the whole setup will be neat and take up very little space

I'll keep you posted on how well it turns out.
    I'm not expecting miracles, but it should work out well.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well not too expensive, that's about a 1400$ PC there with a 400$ video card. Of course I'll be playing other stuff on it too though. I guess price depends on perspective? haha.
    The thing I'm wondering about your setup solution is that while you won't get the visual bugs I'm getting, you probably won't get the same level of anti aliasing...

For reference here are the bugs I have currently:
    -dynamic shadows do not work properly, this is the most noticeable one
    -misaligned bloom effect (it's off about 10-20 pixels to the left compared to the lighting source) and none of the PCSX2 options to fix that actually fix it
    -skybox textures seem to have alignment problems, you can see some seams
    -post processing effects (such as color balance, DOF, HDR) do not transition smoothly
    -some Talon's Junction textures with alpha transparency default to a black background, though I've seen this happen for some of them in the PS2 version too. I'm talking about the loop thing there, the whole middle effects are all black for me.
    Last edited by Darkdrium777; 29th August 2012 at 06:51 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Well I got my PSP GO! in the mail a few weeks ago, it had the charger and the charging cradle, but know video out cable.
    I hunted around for one [Trust Sony to make the AV cable for the GO! different to all previous ones] bought one off Ebay from Hong Kong and that took a week to arrive.
    Plugged it in and the GO! wouldn't detect the TV, I wasn't sure if the GO! was faulty or the cable.

I hunted around for a official Sony AV cable for the GO!...they are like hens teeth let me tell you, finally found somebody online in Texas selling old stock from a games outlet...another 2 weeks before I got it
    Tried that one quickly today and it worked straight away...Yee Ha success at last!

I've just re routed in into my surround amp and have it upscaled to 1080p, I still had to use the zoom on the TV's control to fill the screen as much as possible, but PURE looked pretty good considering it's playing back on a 46" TV
    Then I tried the 3D processing with the TV....which doesn't really do much for PURE as there is too many jaggies, plus there is a overall different black level with PURE than with PULSE.
    PULSE is playable in 3D once upscaled, the deeper blacks and higher overall contrast helps it out.
    It's not as good as FUSION upscaled and with 3D processing.....I'd give it 75%- 80% of the quality I can get with FUSION, but then again, both these title were made for a handheld, so I find it quite remarkable that is as good as this.

So if you don't have a PC and using a PSP emulator, then a PSP GO! with component video out cable, even without upscaling direct into a modern flat screen TV, and using a PS3 wireless control is a hell of a lot of fun.
    In fact I think this would have to be the best way to play PURE & PULSE, if like me, you could never get to grips with playing Wipeout on a PSP.

Timezone
    GMT -5

PS2 Network Adapter $10-15, IDE Hard-drive: $5-10 or free if you can find an old computer. Put FreeMcBoot on your memory card, put Wipeout on your hard drive, and then run GS Mode selector.

Enjoy Wipeout Pulse in progressive scan.