Thread: WipEout HD, coming soon to Blu-Ray?

PSN ID
    redstar1993

Talking WipEout HD, coming soon to Blu-Ray?

It has been rumoured recently that WOHD is going to hit Blu-Ray. By the looks of this new evidence and the huge sales potential, there seems only one way this could go...

From the US Playstation Blog Comments on The Fury Pack
    Posted on June 16th, 2009 at 1:18 pm by ImperatorA3
    Nice, when is WipEout coming on BD?

Posted on June 16th, 2009 at 2:20 pm by Joey Payne
    Hi ImperatorA3,
    Sorry I don’t have a date for you on this yet but I’m sure there will be a blog update from the WipEout Product Manager very soon
    So will you guys be buying this again for the shiny new packaging?

I will be.*

*When the price is less than ten pounds on amazon

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

If i remember well, Paul himself told us to not take rumors into account if him or his work mates post somthing here, so...

lets discuss about this, but don't expect too much too fast.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

HD + Fury combo would be nice, with ...
    Blu-ray exclusive: 8 brand new, longer and broader, additional tracks.

Now that would sell a lot, everyone here would buy it!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

If they release a WO HD Fury combo on Blu-ray, then it's an insta-buy for me. Even though I don't own a PS3 yet.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by Spece2goin View Post
    If i remember well, Paul himself told us to not take rumors into account if him or his work mates post somthing here, so... ...
    Yeah debunking rumors takes away valuable time they could spend on fixing up
    the leaderboards. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    I feel like I spend my WOZONE life debunking crap rumours ...
    Have a break....

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

oh well maybe that was Colin Berry, sorry, was to lazy to search the original post.
    anyway, i'm sure we'll be informed in few days

maybe that's what delays Fury DLC, they want to release it at the same time as the BR in stores, but that's pure speculation.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

umm maybe even with the fury pack included it wouldn't be enough to justify a blue ray release at full price

if a blue ray release would include some more content, it would have sense to lead people to buy it and spend further money...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    b4p-

swapping disks is sooooo 2007

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Well the PSN game Pain is confirmed for a BR release soon, so I can't see why WipEout wouldn't, or couldn't rather.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

i prefer to know when this ****ing fury pack comes out, and soon

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by darkfaerytales View Post
    i prefer to know when this ****ing fury pack comes out, and soon
    Here is my guess; In two weeks! I can sleep a lot better if I say this to me
    each day, u know? xD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

2 weeks sounds good.

don't want it before because of exams (rahh, i should be sleeping!)
    in 2 weeks : i go in internship, steal my brother's PS3, get a screen and yeepee!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I'm not too sure if WOHD would work on BluRay sometime soon. It doesn't seem to me like Studio Liverpool will release one more pack and that's it. No, really not. As it seems, there is still the whole team behind WOHD and there's no concrete thought about releasing a "real" new WO for PS3 too soon.

I could even imagine that SL rather expands the WOHD universe for the next months/years with releasing new content and not "only" remaking tracks but making new ones.
    The concept works pretty well and to me it seems like the game has a few really huge benefits from being an online-only title: Patches can be made everytime they're ready. Because there are no costs for marketing and pressing the disks etc. the game can be sold for a lower price without cutting the profit. And because it's cheap, more people buy it. And because those people have to buy it online, they are potential online gamers. And because they're online gamers, there probably is big chance, that those people will actually play the game online. As the game is played online very much, there is much entertainment and challenge in playing. Which is a good thing, as the game does not become boring and do not stop playing it after they "played through". And if the game isn't boring people want more. Tada. There you have it.
    And what's the easiest way to sell more content to the consumer without much trouble? Exactly. Online distribution.

The concept works and a BluRay release in near future will always require to get the most of the game still online by downloading stuff. So where's the use of a BD release then besides having a booklet and a cover and paying more for the same content?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

i'm completely in accord with you

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Having a disk. Something tangible, physical, that YOU own.

Angry

Yeah. I really like owning something that can't be taken away from me. Until I've run out of bullets.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

Exactly!

@Sausehuhn : you don't imagine how much people want to touch what they buy, and how much don't trust online consumering.

even with DLC, patch or everything you said, having the starting package of the game on a physical matter is very important for lots of players, and not only for collecting booklets!

Other thing : a game with such quality will be more sold in a shop than it is on the PSN, where it is already hidden behind new things.
    Believe me, if this game was on BRD, all ressellers will have it on TOP sales for weeks, then in Must have section, then finally on greatest cheaper section.
    That said (and sorry for bad expression), the game will never leave the eyes of custommers arriving in front of all PS3 games.
    it's the same for Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Burnout (wich has incredible DLC too!).
    if i enter the shop, i'm sure to find them in one look!

it could be the same for WO!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I like having a physical disk as well, yes I really do. I only said what I imagine people at Sony think like. I can understand that Sony does not release it on a disk, that's all. Hell (if I own a PS3) I even buy it for more bucks in the store, just to have that booklet and the cover. But I'm an WO fan and I can imagine that there are enough people out there who don't think that way.

But you made a fair point there, Spece2goin. The game will probably have more attention in the "offline world" if it hits the stores.
    In the end, I don't have the bills and numbers Sony has. And I'm pretty sure that if the game can make more profit through a disk release, Sony will go that step when the time has come. I only think the time hasn't come yet. Also not with Fury.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

As I said in the other "BRD release" post, I wouldn't buy a BRD version unless it is a collector one (and it depends on the content ... i would love a ship model).

It seems Pain will been released at 29,9€, so the wipEout HD + Fury combo could be sold at the same price, and people without PSN working credit card could eventually buy the game.

But a BRD release with more tracks than the Fury pack ... get serious ... that would be a big scam for those who purchased the game online.