Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who uses Pilot Assist?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Unless I happen to have the pilot assist trophy, i don't recall ever using it. The whole concept in general is a joke. If you play wipeout, your only assist is your own ability to not die. There should be no middle-ground between a perfect lap and that splatter on the wall in Talon's Reach.

I did think that asking "who uses pilot assist?" is a bit like asking "who uses incontinence pads?" i.e. not the kind of thing to admit to in polite AG company. But TCK I think your perspective on it is very interesting in that it helped turn you into one of the fastest pilots around. I don`t think PA is a bad thing at all, the way SL have handled it. SL got it absolutely right in not letting it be exploited for records, and hosts can now switch if off online, which I think is quite necessary for Phantom games.

Occasionally you do get stuck behind a PA ship online - I once caught a Goteki and got rammed off Sol2 by him five times in one race But generally it`s not a problem and fast pilots you can never catch at all are a lot more worrying.
    Last edited by lunar; 16th June 2009 at 07:17 AM. Reason: too early in the morning

PSN ID
    Hemicrania

Anywayz, this topic is very usefull for now. Now I can remember the ID's that fly by and use this topic to find you guys online.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

i bet zico uses pilot assist on phantom, he can only handle venom!
    yes i'm a cheeky monkey ask kanar

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

well... out of my personal experience i started out with pilot ass-ist. it was until after a couple of weeks when i first came in contact with vinnymonster and IH8YOU that i finally let it go for good. at first it was demotivating because my handling instantly dropped by a huge degree. only thing instantly improving was my ability to race on zone. but considering the man drawbacks with PA, #1 beeing the cap on throttle input ( 90 or 95%), and #2 you can NEVER take the best racingline beacause you cant skim the apex of any turn close enough. after realizing this first hand and regaining control of the craft. using PA ever again was totally out of the question.
    i only used it one time in the last 4 months, and that was in a offline phantom elite race two weeks ago. i didnt use it to get a good race, i was simply curious about how much my perception of PA had changed after i acctually managed to maintain control on my own. and my impression of the PA race was this::-. every time i tried to cut a corner to get the fastest line i was pinballed to the other side of the track, on the straight i had noticably less speed. on the positive side, even though i pinballed on every atempt to do a quicker corner than allowed, i rarely hit the wall but overall i really dont regret taking the PA out to my back yard and putting it out of its missery

EDIT: and for your info hemicrania, i dont care about other people using PA. i usually host PA off (although somtimes PA on to). as you can see i know about the "security" in having PA enabled, but in the end your simply better of without it
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 21st June 2009 at 02:31 AM.

PSN ID
    madwiperII

I have only ever used PA once, honestly. I did not like the experience myself. If i want to have a computer do something for me, ill use autopilot; should i happen to get it.
    I think its OK for first timers, and beginners to use PA, as it gives them confidence, by stopping them hitting the walls, however i think after a couple of days, people should try with PA disabled from there on.
    I get frustrated in online games, with PA enabled - im in between a contender and the track wall, then all of a sudden im barged into the side of the track, grinding to a near halt; whilst watching the PA contender zig zag ahead.
    I only ever play in online games when PA is disabled, however im fed up of people luring me by disabling it, then suddenly turning it on just before starting the race - and as we all know, once that 3 second timer starts, you have no chance of getting out...

PSN ID
    mchief22

Used to but after playing WO Pulse ive got used to racing without it, so i guess im not a noob anymore!!

PSN ID
    Hemicrania

watch out people, hemi and his girl have dissabled PA and going for gold in the singelplayer and its workin pretty damn good! I think were gonna play Fury without PA, so watch out online for a flying projectile called Hemicrania.

i'm a total noob but i dont use pilot assist. I want to be an elite at wipeout, that will never happen with pilot assist, so i turned it off for good after my first week.
    Bye Bye pilot assist, nice knowing you

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tileon

As a veteran wipeout fan, I am actually hindered by this feature. It's like it's getting in the way of everything!! I crunch on wall from left to right all the way like an idiot.

As far as I'm concerned, it's counterproductive or broken. Plus the thing about a game is, well, playing it? Like yourself?

While hosting a game I don't change settings other than tracks. There used to be idiots who lurred you into 20 lap races on venom though...

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

I like the pic Jasmin! Hemi, its good to see your giving up PA and its going well (I make it sound like some kind of narcotic... lol). The only way your going to get really good is to give it up because like we all know its a hindrance in other areas (mainly speed on Phantom and stopping you getting really good racing lines).