Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD FAQ

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Well I frequently ask myself why I do that. Does that count?

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

please delete this post
    Last edited by OBH; 8th April 2010 at 08:26 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    "Little_Piranha", of course!

Thanks a lot!
    Nice tutorials, just the thing I need!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    FlintFandango or RennFlint or Flint Fandango (PS4)

Excellent work! Such a well elaborated assistance is worth gold!
    Thank you very much!

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Right then, now we're getting an influx of new players to the game thanks to the PSN outage, I've decided to resurrect my idea of a basics tutorial video. This would be literally explaining the absolute basic mechanics and workings of the game. So far I've got the following to work on:

- Basic controls
    - Controlling the craft
    - Handling and thrust differences between craft
    - Racing lines
    - Using airbrakes
    - Using sideshift
    - Pitching
    - Barrel rolling
    - Shield energy
    - Weapon usage
    - Speed class

Any other suggestions would be welcome. I've already recorded stuff for about half of this.

Maybe a brief sort of article or addendum about what to expect on online races, and some explanation of lag-ramming and the like so new pilots won't feel so abused when they get on the receiving end of it.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

I'll see if I can tag that on the end, but it'll probably be too difficult to get some footage for.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Great work Hellfire!

I think I have some footage of lag in one of my vids on youtube. Showing the start of an online race where everyone shoots away from the start with a long trail from the exhaust and me starting last and finishing first without seeing one single ship during the race.

If you want to use it, just let me know.

Greetz Mad-Ice

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Saturn has the best video of lag I have seen, had a look but I can't find it. Vineta K reverse. I wonder if he has removed it?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

How about a explanation more than a tutorial on control adjustments and remapping.
    Nobody seems to include this, yet it can make a huge difference.
    Especially that in HD/FURY a lower % is actually more sensitive, which seems counter intuitive when you think about it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Actually, higher sensitivity is more sensitive - it corresponds to how much the accelerator is pressed down, so you will be at only 99% thrust if the button is 99% down, which is stupid because nobody wants to actively force their thumb down all the time like that.

Low sensitivity divides the sensitivity into brackets, i.e. holding the button down 13%, 3%, etc. will equal 20% thrust, so there's about 19% extra leeway if you're not holding the button down all the way down, so you'll still get 100% thrust. (I'm just guessing at the brackets, they're probably more likely to be divided in 10ths than 5ths, maybe more)

High sensitivity doesn't mean you only have to hold the button down a little bit to get full thrust.

It's only counter-intuitive at face value, but when you think about it, sensitivity can be looked at in more than one way.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
    Right then, now we're getting an influx of new players to the game thanks to the PSN outage, I've decided to resurrect my idea of a basics tutorial video. This would be literally explaining the absolute basic mechanics and workings of the game. So far I've got the following to work on:

- Basic controls
    - Controlling the craft
    - Handling and thrust differences between craft
    - Racing lines
    - Using airbrakes
    - Using sideshift
    - Pitching
    - Barrel rolling
    - Shield energy
    - Weapon usage
    - Speed class

Any other suggestions would be welcome. I've already recorded stuff for about half of this.
    Thanks for the FAQ Hellfire, the tutorial videos are some of the best I have seen for a video game, well put together should honestly be in game.

If you have videos already for the some of the things in the above quote, I would love to view them. Using the video tutorials to improve lap time for venom-rapier is great, but Phantom is a different beast in itself (so much fun though).

I have seen countless videos with amazing pilots (you, woopzilla, yeldar, etc) that utilize air-brake and side shift techniques that are borderline insane at the speeds they are going. Anyways thanks again for the help sir.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Some of you guys may be able to help me out with this as I'm a little puzzled.

Is there actually any advantage to picking a high speed craft? I've just done two side-by-side comparisons of a sprint between HD FEISAR and Fury Icaras over short distances at full speed on Venom and Phantom, and both times were almost dead heats with the Icaras winning by only a fraction of a nose!

I assume the stat takes other factors into account beyond just top speed? As even over the course of a whole race I can't see this making any real impact

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

picking a fast craft (let's say icaras ^^) is interesting regarding the boost effect. I mean icaras is made to fly high and fast, as an example i don't see a very significant difference (there's a little one however) when i fly feisar or icaras on modesto forward for phantom speedlaps, except when i try my crazy boost before the big bump, it's significantly faster with icaras. At slow speed i find icaras clearly faster on the flat, but it can be psychological !

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

It just seemed really strange. I recorded both craft at top speed covering the same distance on flat track, and in a split screen side-by-side comparison there was almost no difference! That's on both Venom and Phantom.

You're probably right, it may be something to do with the turbo and speed pads. I'll give it a shot

EDIT: Very interesting! Just done a couple more comparisons:

1 - I repeated the speed test around the Moa Therma loop. The difference is more pronounced this time due to the longer distance but still less than I would have expected considering the speed difference between the two craft

2 - Speed pads and turbos are unaffected by any stat. I did the Moa Therma loop again with the Icaras and FEISAR, but this time hitting a few speed pads along the way. Icaras won by exactly the same margin as it did without them. i also compared FEISAR with Goteki45 as they have the same top speed but different thrust stats. It was a dead heat.
    Last edited by Hellfire_WZ; 6th June 2011 at 07:10 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Chet_BG

I've never done any real test between vehicles, but I played 2 hours speed lap on Vineta K to make a certain lap time with Goteki. I made a perfect lap and near perfect lines to achieve it. Then I tried with Icaras and I've beaten my time with 5-6 mistakes in the 3rd lap. So, yeah, I think it makes difference if you choose a fast ship... I still prefer Goteki, though. Nothing can compare to the awesome handling and starting boost

Timezone
    GMT -5

I tested something myself today without even realizing this was going on but here's how top speed works.

Icaras Fury (100) = 792 km/h
    Piranha Fury (100) = 792 km/h
    Piranha HD (100) = 792 km/h
    Triakis Fury (95) = 791 km/h
    Auricom Fury (90) = 789 km/h
    Harimau Fury (90) = 789 km/h
    Mirage Fury (85) = 788 km/h
    Assegai Fury (85) = 788 km/h
    Mirage HD (80) = 786 km/h
    Assegai HD (80) = 786 km/h
    (75 doesn't exist)
    AG Systems HD (70) = 784 km/h
    Goteki 45 HD (70) = 784 km/h

(They can go above these, but you need a LONG straight without turning.)

I stopped testing the same stat speeds assuming it's the same. If you want to test a specific ship, feel free to. I can't be 100% certain it's the same.
    Last edited by Frailavi; 7th June 2011 at 05:05 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I remember having trouble getting first place on Moa Therma while going for Arcade Perfect using AG-S, I switched to Icuras and got it almost straight away.
    Maybe the specs for a crafts Top Speed only really come into play when racing against the AI.
    When racing online or 2 player split screen these supposed speed differences might actually be compressed to a smaller difference in speed, or negated all together, it's just the handling that remains different.

I suppose Colin Berry could answer this one.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

That doesn't make sense.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Yes it does.