Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SL: Please fix WO2097/XL HUD in Fury update [Large Images]

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

A customizable HUD would have been awesome as well. So you could place your prefered objects at prefered corners.

But we're going off topic here

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quote Originally Posted by Sausehuhn View Post
    What I like about the WO3-HUD in WOHD is the use of the pit-arrow. It works pretty well as a contender indicator.

(If I'm wrong about the arrow, then I probably played the game far too long ago and I mixed things up)
    It was already there. The pit arrow went in the top left - ish corner.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

yeah, in WO3, there were two arrows... the one at the bottom beside your total race time which would tell you when and where someone was behind you, and then the pit arrow was on the top of the screen next to the weapon slot.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Quote Originally Posted by mdhay View Post
    It was already there.
    Well… then I didn't play WO3 for too long

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

My problem with that WO3 HUD concept: You can't see the numbers for speed and energy because of the ion trail.

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

A possibility would be to either put a black border around the white numbers, or make them a darker grey color. Just a thought.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

The trail is a problem, but it might be down to the photo mode settings I had on and that I was flying over a white arrow that got in the way. I'd rather keep the HUD white, after all the entire point was to make a HUD more close to the original Wip3out HUD. Trails weren't so much of a problem in Wip3out with them being a bit darker and multi-coloured.

The best thing to do I think would be to move them over slightly so they are not directly over the trail and are then visible most of the time.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

but the ion trail never posed a problem in the original WO3, that's why I don't understand why it looks so terrible in HD.

I need to have time to sit down and really analyze the WO3 hud... I was originally only starting this thread for the sake of the XL/2097 HUD because that one is egregiously wrong, but WO3's had enough errors that it bothered me too.

I'm very busy this week; financial aid papers for school, finishing some housework after we installed tile flooring in our downstairs hallway, and last minute practice and preparation for the WO tournament at Al's this weekend... but I'm gonna sit down and do some work on this article when i get the chance.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

WO3's colors a lot more toned down, not that bringt and shiny. WOHD features very bright colors in general, and then there are of course the light effects of explosions, bright track surfaces and the ion trail which is a lot brighter in WOHD than it is in WO3 (actually, besides the different colors, it looked very odd in WO3 - IMO).
    A very slight, soft shaddow could directly solve the problem. It would not change the design of the HUD in any way, as a slight shadow won't be noticable on neutral and dark backgrounds but add legibility on bright ones.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

I think the other problem with HD's version, aside from the text/information not being large enough, is that the white letters are a blinding/piercing white... in the original game, they were slightly duller/darker... when a HUD is extremely bright, your eyes can't discern information because it all looks just washed out... it's like watching TV with windows on the wall behind it... the bright light coming in makes it hard to see what's on the tv; your eyes kinda function like the automatic contrast setting on a camera See attached image for example.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AG-wolf; 15th June 2009 at 05:03 PM.