Thread: HD with FURY expansion questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Default HD with FURY expansion questions

I started a new thread because I think the questions I'm about to ask might get lost in the FURY announcement post,and I think some others might like the answer to these questions as well.

I've been wondering how much is FURY a expansion pack and how much of it a game in it's own right.

So if Paul Tweedle ,Colin Berry or any other SL staff could answer some of them it would be appreciated.

FURY has been announced as an expansion pack for HD ,the graphics look considerably different to HD ,which begs the question, can a mixture of HD & FURY tracks be selected to be in the one online tournament? ,as it would seem that you would of wanted to keep the general look of the series the same.
    This is what is what originally got me wondering how much of a separate entity FURY is.

If they can be mixed ,how will the current online work for those who don't have FURY installed yet?

Will there be online board icons telling people that the FURY pack is required to play in a particular tournament/race?

Or will the tournament/race not appear on the online board to those that have yet to install it?

Can eliminator mode be used on the HD tracks ?

It was announce that there are new trophies to get,if this is an expansion on HD wouldn't that effect the attainment of the Transcendence Trophy with it having the perquisite of attaining all other trophies?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Graphics are not different from HD... You're just seeing the illusion of new material shaders and textures developed specifically for the expansion. As far as I've seen, nothing but the lamp posts from Ubermall has been re-used in the tracks of Fury (And the lamps are probably new too, just very similar). It's entirely new content, and I applaud SL for that (And that's why it took so long to come out most likely).

Presumably it will separate the games, as there is also a patch coming out along with Fury, so this most likely will add features such as highlighting games that are "waiting" and games with DLC content.

Eliminator on HD tracks: I certainly hope so and I'm 99.9% sure it will. It's stupid for just eight tracks.

Platinum is not affected by DLC content, get the 38 trophies of the default game and you will have Transcendence, the bar just won't show 100% completion.

I think that`s a very useful bunch of questions, Blackwiggle. I think it will all be revealed in the download method. Some possibilities are:

1. Fury could be just a "plug in" for HD. You launch HD to play it. Everyone has to download the Fury content even if they don`t buy it. This way they can still "see" and play the content when hosted by others online, but they can`t host it or do it single player. Maybe this is unlikely if the DLC update is very big. It`s a very common way with PSN games. It works with Everybodys Golf very well, but does lead to some big update downloads.

2. The Fury DLC could be Pulse style. You just download the content it if you want to buy it. If you don`t buy it you are locked out of online games and you can`t join if you haven`t bought the DLC. You launch it through HD the normal way. This method would be weak, I think, as online would be a dog`s dinner of haves and have nots.

3. You launch Fury seperately to HD by launching a seperate game called Wipeout HD Fury. This is bought and downloaded seperately. It has no connection with HD and is played seperately. Very unlikely!

4. Like 3, you launch Fury seperately to "old" HD by launching a seperate game called Wipeout HD Fury. This is bought and downloaded seperately. You can also access "old" HD through this game. Fury has seperate online servers to "old" HD. This way only people who have bought the Fury content appear on this server and there is no confusion, but old HD content can still be played.

I think it`s really unlikely that we will end up with a situation of people being locked out of online races on the server because they don`t have new content. It would lead to so much confusion and bitterness I can`t imagine Sony would think that is a good idea or acceptable at all. I think it will be 1, but think 4 might be the best as it could possibly allow a great big bug fixing patch and broken PSN id`s to return if we were effectively playing a new game. I`m sure I missed a lot of possibilities, but speculation over!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

We just need servers (running games, lobbys) with FURY content to be
    filtered out for HD-only players.

That way, nobody will notice anything, you just launch the wipeout HD game
    normally, that's it. Yeah HD only gamers will notice less games online,
    will only be able to see the lobbys/games when they're compatible with
    their settings, like a single race on Vineta-K (which will happen)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

That would mean two different servers servicing,basically the same game.

If that were to happen they would need a separate facility to store the records.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing as the online records have become shambolic since the 1.30 & 1.40 updates.

But that would take $$,and just by the way the PR has been handled for the release of FURY [very little, a BLOG mention,that's it,nothing in the 171 minute SONY E3 presentation] that is just not going to happen.

Or even if it is,it will be left for solely software caretaker to tend it,as seems the case for HD as it stands now.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

i think that the two contents (HD and Fury) will be separated like Track Mania Nations Forever and United are.
    i explain :

Fury owners will be able to see and play all games, wheter HD or Fury.
    HD-only players will not see Fury games in the list of games.

and a little icon can inform Fury players wether a hosted game is hosted with Fury, or only HD.

that's how it should work imo.

so no download for those who do not want to pay Fury, they just play the same game they had, without beeing disturbed by fury.
    And if Fury player enters a HD-only game, he still can select a Fury skin, but other players (that are HD-only) will see the default team skin.
    nothing complicated
    i hope this is how it works.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    I think that`s a very useful bunch of questions, Blackwiggle. I think it will all be revealed in the download method. Some possibilities are:

1. Fury could be just a "plug in" for HD. You launch HD to play it. Everyone has to download the Fury content even if they don`t buy it. This way they can still "see" and play the content when hosted by others online, but they can`t host it or do it single player. ...
    Considering the lifetime of the PS3, it is very likely that the current
    WipEout HD DLC, Fury, isn't the last one. So keeping DLCs consistent
    is rather important to not split up the community.

I would do it as follows; For all those who bought WipEout HD there will
    be an upgrade option (for a given price tag) to upgrade to WipEout HD
    Fury! That is to say, there will be no plain WipEout HD any longer.
    Hence, WipEout HD Fury will replace WipEout HD and will be sold at a
    slightly higher price tag than the current version. The advantage doing
    this is of utmost importance. It doesn't split the community! And only a
    healthy community continues to buy further DLCs -- keeping the game
    alive! So if you are new to WipEout you will be up-to-date on buying
    WipEout HD Fury.

Pricing scheme
    upgrade to WipEout HD Fury: 7.99 EUR
    WipEout HD Fury full game: 22.99 EUR
    (note: the pricing scheme is an example! do not copy)

WipEout HD is priced at 17.99 EUR over here in germany. A simple calculation
    (based upon the given pricing scheme from above) yields that those who
    bought WipEout HD are paying an additional amount of about 5 EUR compared
    to those who will buy WipEout HD Fury straight away. Fair? Well, consider that
    WipEout HD gets dated to some degree. And to win new fans for the franchise
    you have to offer them a good deal. So if you look at it, it is a win-win
    situation for everyone.

... Maybe this is unlikely if the DLC update is very big. It`s a very common way with PSN games. It works with Everybodys Golf very well, but does lead to some big update downloads. ...
    Judging from what I've seen so far, SL is very efficient on storage space if
    you compare them to other companies. Patches are also very small. Look!
    People do download demos of about 1.5 - 2GB.
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 4th June 2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: I adapted the pricing somewhat.

Sounds like some clues to Sony`s plans in this link Zeez posted. It suggests there will be an all in one version where you can buy HD and Fury in one go.

"Sony are also planning to release a version of wipEout HD that comes with Fury and the updates that have been released for the game in one nice package"

What this means exactly.... I don`t know!

No release date, but seeing that "Summer 09" is games industry code for "Autumn 2011" I will set my heart on before Christmas then I shouldn`t be disapointed I think.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Why does it says in that link that there are 4 new tracks and not 8?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Sounds like some clues to Sony`s plans in this link Zeez posted. It suggests there will be an all in one version where you can buy HD and Fury in one go.
    Makes sense to me.