Thread: Weapon Pads Lag, the Solution

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Default Weapon Pads Lag, the Solution

As many of you online Wipeout enthusiasts might know, especially the ones on the Aus servers, there is alot of Weapons Pad Lag and/or non responsiveness over the weapon pads during online races. These unfortunate events during races can ruin the whole online experience, also changing the outcome of the race itself.

In Wipeout Pulse in the Eliminator mode event/s, many of you guys would remember the weapon pads are always ON. If several ships goes over the same weapons pad in the same time frame, they all get the weapon straight away, and most likely all the same one also. This made for a great, better gamining experience. Could this be used in Wipeout HD online, to resolve the weapon pad issue?

The Solution: Weapon Pads are always ON in online races.
    So if multiple racers go over the same Weapon pad at the same time, they all get the weapon off the weapon pad.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I think this is a great idea, it's probably the most logical solution to this annoying problem. I really do hate it when you get stuck in a clump and think you got the pick up only for nothing to appear.

But there is the issue of fairness if this were to be implemented. If you are racing and are behind someone and they get the weapon and you can still pick one up it could mess with the game mechanics. Overall it's a worthwhile idea, but it does create another issue, but a smaller one at that.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

It certainly would add to the carnage on the track, that's for sure.

The downside is that it would eliminate the need to choose between the faster lines with the speed pads vs attempting to pickup a weapon. Also, it'd make getting eliminations even harder since everyone would be able to recharge constantly.

Personally, I think they could solve the whole mess by having it calculated client-side instead of letting the host/server decide if you got the weapon or not. You'd occasionally have situations where multiple people are able to 'use' the same weapon pad, but you wouldn't be removing the mechanic of disabling them temporarily. Plus, it would eliminate the pickup delay entirely. No more waiting upwards of 3 seconds to find out you got robbed.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Exactly. Having it run client side would be much more efficient at the weapon picking, only the "packet" of the weapon effect will have to be sent instead. (Of course it requires more than one packet for the weapon fire, but it's still one less than the pickup weapon packet)

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

This thread is a bit old now, but it still is a bloody good solution to the very common Vista pad issue people experience alot nowdays.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

people are already complaining with "mom, there is too many mines and bombs on the track !! go tell them please because i don't know how to escape !!", so I don't think this solution would be good too.

fixing the online code would be the right solution n_n

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

lol KIGO, you say that because you are an eliminator champion!

i got vista pads many times, and many times i thought i'd rather take the speed pads, but that's all.
    If all pad are always active, then it will be SPAMMY around.
    just imagine 6 rockets coming on you!

anyway, i would like to try eliminator mod!
    and they should give points for tournament races like in wipeout Fusion,
    here +1 for eliminating a contender

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

they should give online ranking point base on achievement (like SF4 or PES 2009). Increasing points when finishing in the fiorst half of the grid or by killing opponents, and decreasing points when finishing in the last half, getting killed, throw off track or when using autopilot.

For now, you can get rank 50 even if you're playing like ****, as long as you play very often.
    Last edited by Sch@dows; 27th May 2009 at 09:18 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

Quote Originally Posted by Sch@dows View Post
    they should give online ranking point base on achievement (like SF4 or PES 2009). Increasing points when finishing in the fiorst half of the grid or by killing opponents, and decreasing points when finishing in the last half, getting killed, throw off track or when using autopilot.
    are you really talking about Autopilot or Pilot Assist?

because autopilot has already been discussed, and it's definetly not noobish to use it, as it is really faster on certain turns, controlling your ship a manner a player can't even do,a tactical use of it can be an advantage, like other weapons.

but i like your other ideas.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

Pilot assist should prevent people from getting over a fixed rank.
    autopilot, well, I admit that it can be usefull on some corners (even if sometimes I take corner like the AI would with sidestep at a good timing ... but it's always pure luck) and it can prevent the ship from loosing speed or getting off track after being touch by a weapon, but since it is not your doing, I think it should decrease point (maybe not the same amount as other decreasing actions).

Well, all that is purely my wish, but I think that king a ranking would add difficulty and lifespan to the game for harcore gamers like some of us.

PS : I'm always disappointed when i meet a 50 rank player (I'm still 26 since I can't play very often) and see him not finishing on the podium (and sometyimes very far).

And also, why can't we see other players badges ? it is a useful information about how the opponents play. Does he use mines often ? is he an aggressive/defensive type ? etc.
    At least, show us the badge they have the most !

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Quote Originally Posted by Sch@dows View Post
    For now, you can get rank 50 even if you're playing like ****, as long as you play very often.
    Exactly, it should fluctuate. Only 1 player should e able to achieve rank 50, with 20 or so rank 49 and all the way down. Then you get an idea of who is currently the best, not "who currently has no job"

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

that's a bit too harsh i think.
    But you shouldn't loose point in order to stay 50.

Obviously, the filters should also be able to filter races with players more/less than a certain rank.

I don't understand the point in the current system. It's just another loyalty system for the online.