Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: boost-select-boost, things to know about it !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Pierre Belmondo would be proud of you mate. Fantastic Find!

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    @Jabberjaw. I don't think it's possible to have enough air on a totally flat section, but it can works with very lightly bumpy straights as the start of tracks.
    if you can get air before the start of metropia id love to see it cos i sure cant.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I'll try to record that soon

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

You are crazy. To be able to find such tricks is amazing. I am truly at a loss of words here. I am so glad I found out about this place

leungbok, my deepest honors goes to you with this one! You are a master of tricks. SL should include a stunt mode in this game I say!!! I respect you for what you tried to show with the bsb trick, I don't agree with it, but I respect and understand it. But this is the way to go man! Find new tricks, and with your pace we are going to hear about something new every week

A true pilot!

@haydn - I think it is possible to get air in each track right before the finish line - they all have boost pads right?

Edit:
    Nose up and down, and very soon leungbok will have a pimpin' craft

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

Why, because you don't like it ?
    The only times that deserve to be reseting are the time obtained with a cheat, or with an unvoluntary glitch. If this trick is not a glitch, so i must be a cheater !!
    And i also must be banned, like the users of bugs on fps, it's exactly what i understand, thank you very much for your expertise !!
    !
    Sheesh Dark is right with the attacks, your response slanders every part of mine and all you say back is what I interpret (it may or may not be, text is purely subject to the reader) as sarcasm. Not the best way to win people over if you ask me, I support Dark's view of logically presenting an argument more..

No, they should be reset to pre-BSB because any times obtained with BSB are using a glitch/exploit. Regardless how hard it is to pull off it does not make it fair or even in anyway, shape, or form. It is as I bolded above, an "unvoluntary glitch".

I make the comparison to FPS games and the use of glitches not to say you are a cheater, but to show that the use of them is highly frowned apron and considered unfair. I know most of the user possible glitches in both Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 from experiment in private servers with friends. I do not use them in real matches though, because it

A) Detracts from the intended game play thought out by the developers.
    B) Give me an unfair advantage, some even to the point of making me impossible to kill.
    C) Generally results in rage quits from a game with an already small community (PC version).

I guess my post is a bit of an attack on you as a cheater, but that was not my intention. There is no doubt that you are an amazing wiper who is dedicated to the series.

Finding glitches like this is very common thanks to the less time developer has to play test game. I consider anyone who finds, reports and helps fix a glitch a good player. However, using them in ranked play to gain an advantage, I (and what I'd like to hope most FPS players) consider cheating. Racing games are different from FPS since its more based on time rather then another human opponent directly (for time trail and speed laps at least), so you aren't directly detracting from another's gaming experience. This may make them a bit more open to argument on the issue at stake here. However the idea that I have to use this to compete and do well in SL makes me not want to play SL so it does detract from the experience.

Ok, guys, i found a new trick as fast as the b-s-b that i hope will be considered more fair
    I call that the NDU-boost for nose down-up boost, lol. The trick is to nose down and after up and to boost. If you do it well, you should be able to perform a br like with the b-s-b. It works with my settings, pad+pitch motion at 100%. I don't know with the stick. It's not easier than the b-s-b (and less fun on my opinion^^) but i only use here the normal gameplay, no ?
    Maybe another debate will start, lol. Anyway you'll be able to take part again on the competition Redscar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWl8tAdQI5A

Oh, i made the attempt at rapier speed but it works on phantom too ^^
    lol
    This I have no problem with, it is fair and uses all the mechanics that were originally put in the game. Looks like I'm going to have to practice this one. That said I prefer flash SL so I don't know if I will get a chance to use it.

Sry for the delay in response, I don't check these forums as often as I should.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post

nuff said
    leungbok
    I agree, problem solved. Anything and everything I said doesn't apply to this.
    Great find

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by RedScar View Post
    lol
    This I have no problem with, it is fair and uses all the mechanics that were originally put in the game. Looks like I'm going to have to practice this one. That said I prefer flash SL so I don't know if I will get a chance to use it..
    It works on all speedclass (on anulpha reverse at least)

PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE

Oeh nifty! And it can be used in online racing as well ;D

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

would you be urged to find that trick if no one complained about the b-s-b one?

just kidding...

but here you have the same result, and all our approval!
    good job!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I remember using a similar sort of move on Colin McRae rally to get air over bumps.
    Jab on the brakes,then accelerate.

I guess also for those of us who don`t think barrel rolls are a welcome part of wipeout the BSB trick is a nail in the coffin for us. We have to admit that.

Anyway I have tried to do the BSB trick now. It seems the hardest thing about it is that my select button does not respond like a normal button. It`s not responsive enough to be relied upon on any of my 3 controllers. Considering that "select to cancel" was put in as a convenience feature, presumably to allow players to attempt a fastest lap on every lap, it has actually ended up as an inconvenience feature in which we will often have much less opportunity to go for fast laps, due to the crapness of the select button for the task in hand and as a consequence of the fact that even the most practiced pilot can`t pull BSB off perfectly every time. Seems to me it has had the opposite effect of what was intended and therefore SL would want to pull it from the game. But that is only my slightly biased take on it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Very good point.
    Agree-o-meter at 100%

Select to cancel a lap and give you an extra boost was put in because, when doing speed lap people would usually save their boost and use it right at the end of a lap, so they were flying super fast over the line, a 'rolling turbo start' effectively getting two boosts on one lap, but you could only do this, every other lap.
    It was debated a lot, several suggestions were talked about and the select to invalidate ended up being chosen

so it was added for convenience, most folk going for the super fast times, knew to use two boosts on one lap, is that an exploit, no of course not, so it went in to aid that

boost, start new lap whilst boosting, fire boost, on for record time... hit wall... frustration as you do another lap and half before you can get an attempt in...

Basically it is a "damn i've ****ed this lap now i need to start next lap flying" button

So thats the 'why'

As for this boost select boost thing

I need to understand it better (I've read all the posts in this thread but its late and I'm tired)

Is it

Boost... Barrel Roll... (Select) ... Boost (in air).... Cross Line ?

If so then, well it wasnt intended for that, does that make it an exploit... I guess some would say yes, I'd say its absolutely ingenious and I applaud the time effort and skill to get it, does that mean I like it.... I'm unsure at the moment really

I'll point this thread out to the designers on HD so they can mull it over (though they have probably seen it) things like this I dont personally think are 'cheats' or 'exploits' sure they arent designed to work this way, but its not breaking any of the games 'rules' not in the way flying through buildings for short cuts in the past have been. its simply using things at your disposal.
    I dont know, its not black and white, it needs consideration.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

Its
    A) Boost (with nose up)
    B) Cancel
    C) Second Boost
    D) Cross Line (while in air)
    E) BR

The first and second boost make plenty of air to obtain a BR, and the BR is done after you cross the line and get the boost for the lap.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhcvU8VPjm4
    Last edited by RedScar; 1st June 2009 at 11:02 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

now we have an official view on the point.

i fact it was (yes it was) boost-select-boost to catch enough Air to make a Barrel Roll while crossing the line.

the point we discussed was that it needs to press select to have 2 boosts.

Now, Leungbok find an ingenious way to obtain the required airtime in only 1 boost.
    it's nose down then up and boost. that allowed him to make the barrel roll right after crossing the line, and i think now every one aggree that this is T3H skilled trick to do!

congrats to him.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

The NDB is A LOT harder, only been able to pull it off once so far.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Really? I never get even close with the bsb, but can at least get a bit of air and half a barrel roll with the nose down thing. Weird!

I gave an official explanation but beyond that, its just my thoughts, and its not my baby anymore

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

Well we will see if SL gives the ok for it or not I guess. Thx for being awesome Colin

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Thanks for your interest, Colin !!
    And yes, Pirahpac is very ingenious
    Last edited by leungbok; 2nd June 2009 at 07:41 AM.