Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: boost-select-boost, things to know about it !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Cat, Saturn, Yeldar, Pirah, thanks for support. You see that new trick with fun, as it must be

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I haven't been reading this thread till today, and to be honest,I had thought of doing [trying] to do the same thing myself when the turbo reset first became available.

I just haven't been motivated enough to try it.

I don't have a problem with this, as it only adds one more difficult maneuver at the start of a lap.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    Cat, Saturn, Yeldar, Pirah, thanks for support. You see that new trick with fun, as it must be
    I support you as well matey

The buzz of Wipeout for me has always been the speed - the adrenalin rush...if people find new ways to maximise this buzz - WOW

Massive respect to anyone who can pull this off - As I said to do this trick at the start and then to fly a great lap is stuff of legend for me, and I have nothing but respect for leungbok and pirahpac

Those videos are great - please dont remove them matey

I have no problem with this at all - just like I have no problem with Asa's shortcut mastery in Wipeout 2097. I have only respect

Timezone
    GMT + 1

First of all; I was scared that the discussion between Leungbok and Darkdrium would result in a big fight within the whole community. We are all different yet so much alike, we share the same passion for Wipeout. We can not agree on everything, but as long as there is respect for eachothers' opinion than it's cool!

We should always share with eachother how we can go faster and that is what Leungbok has done. That is most important! Eventhough I do not like the trick, I would use the trick. If only I had the time.

Also respect to Darkdrium who did a good job to stay cool in this heated discussion. The trick is there, it is open for everyone to use it or not!

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Quote Originally Posted by stinkleroy View Post
    @ H3avyM3tal - Read the post above yours if your issue is about only one boost per lap. Pirahpac pointed out that we all use the boost from the previous lap to start the next...doesn't that then make it 2 boosts per lap? BSB is no different to a shortcut as it certainly takes skill to pull off successfully
    No, that is actually two boosts per two laps.

Eidt:
    I don't do sl, because I have time to play only on weekends, and even that time I would rather spend online. I do acknowledge this trick, I just like when there are a set of rules a bit better ^^;
    Last edited by H3avyM3tal; 30th May 2009 at 09:24 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Thanks Mad-Ice, you're right we're all different. Fortunately !!
    Everyone can have his opinion about this trick, but i didn't expected that some here will suggest that records made with it are invalid (wich just imply that i'm an unfair competitor, nothing less ! And of course some other pilots !).
    So if i'm usually happy to share my find, i'll wait and see a little before giving access again to my videos. Even if i regret that you, Blackwiggle, Mu5 and few others can't see it, i just don't want atm that some people could learn and use some of the tricks i'm showing on my videos. About that, where are their videos about the "fair" tricks we can use to go faster ? Can't they share with the community something else than their criticisms ?
    Otherwise mate, we miss you for the fight on the sl/tt contest, hope you, and master Asa, will find soon some time to come back and k*ck some a*s

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

@ haydn. Fortunately, it seems that pausing the game to activate the pilot-assist is still slower than without
    But did you improve your phantom time doing that (the pilot-assist stuff) ? Because it would be an awesome time using this, and i worry a little about that !
    My current Chenghou SL phantom time uses soley BSB, no autopilot. Though id be lying if i said i wasnt tempted to really have a stab at it... would be nice to try and knock icaras off another throne If i make any progress mate, ill be sure to let you know!!

Id also like to take the time to apologise (again) for having a winge to leungbok, wotan and pirahpac a week ago because of all this stuff, before having even attempted it myself ---- i have to be honest, its actually pretty good fun

PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    It's the exploitation of a feature implemented in a recent patch in a technique for which said feature was not made for.
    That is why I've called it a bug. No it does not appear to be a programming fault but an unexpected side effect. If a feature does not do what the design intended then it's something in the design that's flawed. Equals a bug.

But maybe it was intended to make this possible. We don't design the game

@Pirahpac, thanks for calling me a Rare Donkey in that video. I don't like you though so stop being frivolous about me
    Last edited by AnErare; 30th May 2009 at 10:56 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by stinkleroy View Post
    What's with all the Leungbok bashing?
    BAHAHA don't make me laugh. If anything leungbok was the one who posted personal attacks.
    In the interest of the community I'm ready to "forget" it, but if you seriously look at this quote and can't see the problem well there is something wrong somewhere.
    Are you the official referee ? Or the supreme expert of speedlaps and how it must be played ?
    [...]
    You're kinda young to give me lessons, you know !
    Go ahead and read me, find ONE place where I "bash" leungbok or attack him. Again, it doesn't exist, don't bother looking. The only thing I've said is that I think leungbok got "carried away" in his search for the fastest time, but this is not bashing. I'm just saying I think he made a mistake in using this technique, that's it, and only my opinion.
    Because I post long stuff for an opposing view point doesn't mean I'm bashing, attacking, or get out your thesaurus for other synonyms.
    It's disappointing to see that merely stating your opinion about a technique and it's use can have such an effect. Again, this gif pretty much sums my feelings up when I read such disappointing things.

One last time:
    -I personally, myself, think, believe that: the boost select boost is an exploit
    -I have tried to convey my views on why it should not be used: we have lost "normal function" of the speed lap mode if we use it, we are getting faster times than previously achievable on 1.26

Objectively:
    -It's in the game, so people will eventually use it until (if) it is removed
    -The time is valid according to version 1.40 code.

If that is too hard to understand... Well stop posting about this matter.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I wasn't targeting you Darkdrium, you already share at least a ubermall reverse TT video. That's sufficient for me ! Don't become as paranoïd as i me !
    Last edited by leungbok; 30th May 2009 at 12:07 PM.

I didn't see darkdrium attack anyone, only defend his opinion. Nor did I attack anyone. I never said they were invalid, just that I do not like it at all, and then stated my reasons that I do not like it. I am just happy that it doesn't exist in time trial, or multiplayer.

Here is a question though:

1) IF you could hit start, pause the game in mid air, barrel roll while paused, then have it work when you unpaused, would you use that technique?

2) What is your opinion in pulse about taping the analog stick foward

3) What is your opinion of using a custom controller? Keep in mind, there are many styles of controllers out there

4) What is your opinion on a ps3 sanctioned controller that has macros on it, meaning the push of a button gives you a barrel roll?

PSN ID
    pirhapac

Quote Originally Posted by AnErare View Post
    @Pirahpac, thanks for calling me a Rare Donkey in that video. I don't like you though so stop being frivolous about me
    lol dont worry im a donkey too ( but not rare me ) and i love u too

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    Here is a question though
    A question?

1) Err... that's an odd question really. I don't really have an answer. Currently in WipEout HD that would mean there would be a glitch in the pause menu, and therefore no I would not be using it. But it it was programmed in, documented in the controls, then it's part of the normal gameplay and yes. But there's yet to be a game that comes out with that glitch or programmed feature.

2) You know it. I don't like it either. Use human hands, human skills.

3) It's the man who controls the ship, not the controller (joins my idea about jaytech, where it would be the controller controlling pitch down in that case)

4) Again, no go. It's enabling "lazy mode", barrel roll is left right left or right left right, not one button. Do it yourself or don't do it. Having the controller do it is imo not an option. It's like turbo controllers really, that debate has been going on since the dawn of time. And AFAIK turbos are considered cheats in other games...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I'm not sure if pause can be considered part of normal gameplay. After all, you are pausing the game. The clue's in the name people.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thanks Mad-Ice, you're right we're all different. Fortunately !!
    Everyone can have his opinion about this trick, but i didn't expected that some here will suggest that records made with it are invalid (wich just imply that i'm an unfair competitor, nothing less ! And of course some other pilots !).
    So if i'm usually happy to share my find, i'll wait and see a little before giving access again to my videos. Even if i regret that you, Blackwiggle, Mu5 and few others can't see it, i just don't want atm that some people could learn and use some of the tricks i'm showing on my videos. About that, where are their videos about the "fair" tricks we can use to go faster ? Can't they share with the community something else than their criticisms ?
    Otherwise mate, we miss you for the fight on the sl/tt contest, hope you, and master Asa, will find soon some time to come back and k*ck some a*s
    As long as you are telling people what you are doing and how you are doing it, people will have an opinion about that! You know you are not a cheater, so forget about this! You are an honest person and you should keep on sharing your ideas, strategies and videos. Do not change this mate! Keep on being positive.

Ohh, I am seeing it! Just like you; I like the search of fastest ways, so in the end I will use it, eventhough I don't like this possibility. I am seeing it from both sides and I can understand both sides too.

Yes, I miss myself too in the crazy fight in SL/TT! My life has changed so much since I became a dad and I just can't find the time to play Wipeout HD enough to keep up with you guys. But taking good care of my son is more important.

Greetz Mad-Ice

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

There are a few games where "pause" is part of the gameplay. I know of Oblivion (Elder's Scroll). When you pause the game, you can take up to five potions to buff yourself, then resume play. And you can also take these potions without pausing. Obviously pausing therefore has the advantage...
    There surely are other games where in pause menu you can affect gameplay.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

Final Fantasy XII
    in "pause" (in fact it's triangle bue nevermind) menu, you can change characters who fight, during a fight, whenever you want and then use his ability, the character taht you remove from the battlefield has just not to be attacked.
    there are glitches, unsing this ability to make monsters disapear. Therefor, that's not because i can make monsters disapear to pass a zone without fighting that i will do it.

Lets back to Jabberjaw post, i think a single button to make a barrel roll enables you to make barel rolls so easyly that you can make one just when you leave the ground, and not the little time after that is required to push 3 buttons
    that sounds really bad, and that would be used online too
    IMO, it would go with jaytech and taping the stick...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Point taken, but I still feel that the Oblivion example is outside of gameplay, whereas something like the b-s-b thing is fully incorporated into it, because it's added to all the normal stuff, e.g. pitching steering etc. It's another example for me of why the difficulty involved does matter. All the things JABBERJAW mentions take skill out of the game, so are things I wouldn't use.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JJPAP

Tried the BSB-trick on Ubermall Forward (for me, the most obvious track to try it out, as I´m definately no BR-Wizard).
    All speedclasses: New PB´s - and by quite a lot - because of the BSB.
    Do I like it being a part of the game: NO.
    Do I have to use it to be competetive: YES.
    Just to make it clear: I think Leungbok shows an enormous amount of fairness by showing us the trick - thanks, man

To satisfy all, WO might needs to have more differentiated record-tables.
    Just a few examples:
    Multiplayer:
    1. As now
    2. For Weapons Off-races
    3. Races w/ BR´s off
    4. 10, 15 and 20 lap record-tables
    SL + TT:
    1. As now
    2. Time trials w/o BR´s or Boost
    Etcetera ...

All would have their own personal and preferred playground to compete in
    Last edited by JJPAP; 30th May 2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Grammar

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

4) What is your opinion on a ps3 sanctioned controller that has macros on it, meaning the push of a button gives you a barrel roll?
    In that case, i'd prefer to see the br removed from the game (and you know that i love br ).
    The bonus boost must be a reward, obtained because you have the ability of doing the finger combo (this combo is not that, hard if we compare with the crazy sequences required for some fighting game like SF with half circle with joystick and and several buttons to hit, or the "stars" combos of tobal 2 with a surhuman timing needed, lol).

1) IF you could hit start, pause the game in mid air, barrel roll while paused, then have it work when you unpaused, would you use that technique?

No, never. I like all the tricks that requires skills, it's an achievement to master a game as difficult and fantastic than wipeout, i personaly don't want it become a total casual game. Ok for autoassist and some of other stuff but no more, please

Because of the kind words of Mad-Ice i will make my videos public again (and also because it's too much work to give access at each friend on all the videos, lol).
    This guy rules