Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: boost-select-boost, things to know about it !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by pirahpac View Post
    cuz i like this little batpac and for support my batmate leungbok
    Huuh, mate don't call me "robin", please !

PSN ID
    pirhapac

(sorry for the bears ) i cant do this awesome trick found by my mate leungbok ( cuz with stick is very hard ) so im looking for other trick..other comments ? no ..just say GGGGGG leungbok http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLrOADuxIiA

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

heated discussion going on

i thought id keep quiet until i tested the b-s-b trick myself, for anyone whos interestd, heres what i found ----

* i decided to do a venom speed lap, on a track i thought the b-s-b trick wouldnt help due to a winding first few corners - chenghou project.
    * within 5 laps, i beat the current top lap time 31.34 with a 30.89.
    * I then remembered that you can pause the game, and turn auto pilot on/off MID LAP!!
    * A few tests using the b-s-b trick, pausing, turning on auto-pilot for the first corner (as im flying stupidly fast into a wall, making it near impossible to steer round the corner), then turning it off again for the remainder of the lap could have brought me a low 30sec, maybe ever 29.....

food for thought.....

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

oO
    Very interesting find obh !
    But here it can broke the game to me, where's the skills in using auto-assist for turns (not for you of course, but i imagine what can become the speedlap boards).
    I just hope that a good pilot is still able to go faster than the auto-assist BS even on hard turns
    Thx 4 sharing.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

I gave up with speed laps, was thinking of getting back into it just for the shiggles but now with this whole b-s-b thing I don't even wanna try. I'm not going to use a bug to gain a better time, it should be patched out and the leader boards reset.
    Bugs are not to be abused by the community; joining a server for 99% of shooting games on the market and using bugs results in an automatic kick if not ban because it is annoying and unfair to the general community. Regardless of how much "training" it takes to use the BSB, it still a bug and should not be abused.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I don't think it can be called a bug. It doesn't seem like an error in the programming of the game. The select button works exactly as intended. When I realised it could be used more than once per lap I was surprised, and I can't help but think maybe this type of thing was seen coming. That said, perhaps it's more realistic to assume that the b-s-b move is an unintended use. But if it is a bug, then it's a bug in leungbok's brain, and that bug has already existed for a long time .

Redscar - I can't do these tricks, but I still enjoyed improving my time the old fashioned way and climbing up the rankings a bit. So I think you can still have your 'shiggles'. Unless you were aiming solely for number one on phantom anulpha pass reverse.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by RedScar View Post
    it should be patched out and the leader boards reset.
    Why, because you don't like it ?
    The only times that deserve to be reseting are the time obtained with a cheat, or with an unvoluntary glitch. If this trick is not a glitch, so i must be a cheater !!
    And i also must be banned, like the users of bugs on fps, it's exactly what i understand, thank you very much for your expertise !!

@ haydn. Fortunately, it seems that pausing the game to activate the pilot-assist is still slower than without
    But did you improve your phantom time doing that (the pilot-assist stuff) ? Because it would be an awesome time using this, and i worry a little about that !
    Last edited by leungbok; 29th May 2009 at 09:50 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

^It may not be a cheat, but the fact that you get one boost per lap gotta mean something. With stuff like this, the leaderboards will just be a game of cat and mouse with skills ending where the bsb starts. If two people are equal skill wise without the beb trick, and then they start using this, it will just be trial and error - nothing wrong with is, but it is VERY much useless imho.

As I said, they gave us one boost per lap.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

heavymetal please, read all the thread, and look at the video and you'll learn that you NEED skills to perform that trick !
    Okay guys it becomes boring to me, my intention was to share with you a discover i found fun and efficient, i had not anticipated that everybody, even those that they don't do speedlaps will have so negative reactions and often without even a look at what the trick is !
    Okay i surrender, you don't like my videos, i'll remove them all.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Leungbok....please don't remove your videos. Yes this is an exploit to the game but so are the many many shortcuts that people have found. This is no different and IMO equally awesome. This is just like anything new in Wipeout...it always causes a stir but it will die and soon everybody will be doing it. Just wait and see

You have my support! For what it's worth lol

PSN ID
    pirhapac

very weird ..why talk about a br boost with select BEFORE the start line?..if he can go more fast BEFORE the start line and do after a regular lap.where is the probleme?i think SL in all wipeout dont do boost in speed lap for boost just before no?but all people do it..i br with the first boost ( without select ) on sebenco,chengou, chengou reverse and sol reverse (my video show all that tricks) ..its a bug ? a cheat ?no its just a hard difficulty for do it and after do a good lap .. so if SL put a " select " in a patch ( with invalid lap if 2 )i think we can use this AWESOME trick BEFORE the line start ..like just the boost .;why people blame leungbok with this? i showed this video on ubermall http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttdyi7WPYpU ..why no problem here with same trick? and people like redscar who say " i stop speed lap" ok try tt ..and we ll see ...( nice philosophy: i can t so its a cheat or bug so no need speed lap)

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Leungbok, what I said was not meant as an angry post. I just meant that speed lap has it's rules, and while this trick is not cheating or even close to it, it is not within the rules imo. I am not aaginst this, but this trick is not like shortcuts in a race - there are consequences to a faild shortcut - this trick just gives you a faster start. It is however not worth the effort I think because if speed is everything in sl, then why do we get a single boosr per lap?

It is incredible to actually find this trick and do it, and I am amazed each time from you zoners

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

As i already said many times, this trick don't give you more speed. It's can only give you enough height to do a br and that br give you speed, and it's harder than most shortcuts.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

@ H3avyM3tal - Read the post above yours if your issue is about only one boost per lap. Pirahpac pointed out that we all use the boost from the previous lap to start the next...doesn't that then make it 2 boosts per lap? BSB is no different to a shortcut as it certainly takes skill to pull off successfully

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

That's actually a good question. Why do we get a single boost per lap? Seems pretty arbitrary now that you mention it. Surely no boosts at all would make more sense? hmmm?!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

very weird ..why talk about a br boost with select BEFORE the start line?..if he can go more fast BEFORE the start line and do after a regular lap.where is the probleme?
    It's the exploitation of a feature implemented in a recent patch in a technique for which said feature was not made for. That's the problem.
    If this feature had not been implemented in patch 1.30, leunbok's or your lap times would have been impossible to achieve.
    Now you have used something to go faster, at the expense of the normal gameplay of the game, and this can effectively be considered an exploit.
    i think SL in all wipeout dont do boost in speed lap for boost just before no?but all people do it..
    I have no idea what you mean here. I am assuming you are talking about Sony Liverpool not boosting before the start line to do the times they used in the game. See "Beat Zico."
    i br with the first boost ( without select ) on sebenco,chengou, chengou reverse and sol reverse (my video show all that tricks) ..its a bug ? a cheat ?
    No, that is part of normal gameplay. You use the previous lap's turbo to perform a barrel roll at the start of the next lap, there is nothing wrong with that.
    so if SL put a " select " in a patch ( with invalid lap if 2 )i think we can use this AWESOME trick BEFORE the line start ..like just the boost .;why people blame leungbok with this?
    Personally I am only blaming leungbok for getting "carried away" in trying to get the fastest time and in the process using a technique which I consider to be an exploit. Seeking to obtain the best time is not objectionable, but I find using this technique is, as I've already said it's using something patched in the game recently to get better times than previously achievable.
    i showed this video on ubermall http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttdyi7WPYpU ..why no problem here with same trick?
    Remember your fist video that you must have deleted by now (why?), I posted at that exact moment that I thought it was exploiting the lap override.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

It's interesting to see the different meanings that the word exploit can have. Especially interesting that it's a French word that seems, first and foremost, to mean achievement. But then in English it generally takes on a more negative meaning. OK, so maybe it's not all that interesting, but it sums up the whole discussion quite nicely for me.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Wow this thread is getting ridiculous. What's with all the Leungbok bashing? He was merely doing what guys like him do...try to find all possible ways to go faster...and not for just for his own gains, but to share with everyone. The fact that these technicques are shared should count for something, whether you consider it to be an exploit or not, because if you're serious enough about SL you will learn it. I personally consider shortcuts to be an exploit, thats just my own view, but that doesn't mean I don't love to watch all the crazy tricks these guys come up with.

People keep moaning about the game not having anything new....here's something new. I like to think the guys at Studio Liverpool relish in this kind of crazy stuff

what would be nice if speed lap was just that, one lap, that is it. This would not make you do a stupid lap before you can start competing for it.

I'm not bashing anyone, and the times should be allowed. All I was stating is I don't like that technique, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't use it to compete. I really don't like brake tapping either (at least the kind on 2097 piranha), but I use it to get faster times. Yes it takes skill even on xl to hit the brake on the speed pad at the correct time, but It's kinda dumb. Instead of tricks like these, I would rather have riding the walls slow you down more, and the turning to be harder. This would separate the top 10 more. Much harder tracks as well. moa therma, are you kidding me? this is not a wipeout track. Although, with more difficult turning, and wall resistance, it would probably be ok for an early track.
    Last edited by JABBERJAW; 30th May 2009 at 12:42 AM.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

moa therma has ruined my life. fair enough, it's a pretty easy track to get around but if you want a decent time (sl/tt) you need serious patience and serious lines (a lot's of controllers to account for inevitable rage blackouts).

i'm not having a go i just thought i'd go slightly offtopic in a no-doubt vain attempt to diffuse the situation.

that said i will give my opinion anyway: leungbok shared this 'exploit' (call it what you will) with good intentions. he could just have well have kept it to himself (and probably some other frenchies) and we'd all have been slightly confused as to how people obtained the times they do. to leungbok for finding/sharing. like stinkleroy said, we're always looking for ways to become faster and expecting the aliens to provide us with tricks that will aid us in our quest. i don't know whther SL know about all of the shortcut we have found and whether they were planned from the beginning but if not then using those shortcuts seems pretty much the same to me. not to mention the fact that BSB isn't goin to magically get you into the top10 (or wherever you're aiming), i think that if you can reach your target with BSB you can probably get pretty close without it, you still need to be able to navigate the track properly. i'm not quite sure how to finish my rant because i'm quite tired at the moment and i'm well aware that most of what i've written is probably bullshit (i just read it and it turns out i'm right, it's a load of bollocks) but i feel like saying something, if only for the hell of it. well at least i've sort of found a way of finishing... here we go: THE END