Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: boost-select-boost, things to know about it !

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    Hmm, so what is he doing? This?:

1) Turbo w/ pitch up
    2) Barrel Roll
    3) Select to invalidate lap
    4) Turbo again
    5) Pass start/finish line, ; get new turbo with lap start
    6) receive boost from barrel roll

If you ask me, that's f***ing awesome and at the same time totally difficult. The concept of "speed lap" is to get the fastest lap... there's a reason it is separate from the full 3/4/5 laps of "Time Trial" mode.

I understand what Al's saying with turning around at the beginning of races in the older games, but as far as this is concerned, I have no issue with it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by AG-wolf View Post
    Hmm, so what is he doing? This?:1) Turbo w/ pitch up
    2) Barrel Roll
    3) Select to invalidate lap
    4) Turbo again
    5) Pass start/finish line, ; get new turbo with lap start
    6) receive boost from barrel roll
    Correct, but you must place the "2)" after the "5)"

Wow - that is incredible skill

Cant see how you could do all that - physically - on the standard PS3 Dual Shock pad. If you could re-map select to a different button ...then maybe

Im thinking he is using a 'custom' pad - to allow for select to be mapped to a normal button / sensible position?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

G'Kyl - I think I know the point you're making. However, then you compare this trick to using a cheat code in the menu. This trick is nothing like that. Other people consider it in the same category as shortcuts. I don't, as it can't be used in races or time trial like shortcuts can, so it creates a fundmental difference between the modes. However, if you had to categorise this trick, then it would be far more at home in a category along with shortcuts than it would with a category that included cheat codes or hacks.

Also, you say, "These craft have a boost", but they "don't have a select button". Well, surely, as it's a game, they have whatever they are programmed to have. They seem to magically regain this boost ability after each lap. There's no reason, as far as I can see, that they shouldn't have a button in the ship which is precisely equivalent to the select button.

Mu5 - I don't think leungbok would be using a custom pad. As he is a pioneer of all these SL techniques, and knowing the crazy stuff he's pulled off in the past, I think (hope) he has to much "SL honour" () for that kind of thing.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    Mu5 - I don't think leungbok would be using a custom pad. As he is a pioneer of all these SL techniques, and knowing the crazy stuff he's pulled off in the past, I think (hope) he has to much "SL honour" () for that kind of thing.
    Ha ha, thanks mate ! No, no custom paddle for me
    But if someone like the obstinate jabberjaw find a way of using a neggie on wohd, i'll probably give it a try

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I've already expressed myself on the first video of pirhapac:
    it is an unforeseen exploit of something added inside the game to make it more convenient.
    Takes skill to do it? Sure. It doesn't make it any more valid.
    There are plenty of examples in plenty of games where performing something takes skills, yet it's not considered a valid way of beating the game. Look at speedruns of mario for example, they skip entire levels. It takes skill to do it, was the game designed with that in mind? No. Is it valid? No, it's an exploit.

What we've got to ask ourselves here is: "Why was cancelling your lap and regaining your turbo added?"
    100% sure it has nothing to do with performing a barrel roll at the start of the race.
    It was so you didn't have to run two laps to make a record attempt, only one. That's it, nothing else.

If not: I found a way to make a faster time than Wotan on Sebenco. It's part of the game, so surely I can use it and gain first place on the leaderboard? The answer is no. Because it has nothing to do with finding the race line, it's about exploiting something inside the game.
    Which is why I erased my time.
    And if I remember leungbok you were interested in finding it to make that faster time. This is where we disagree completely.

PSN ID
    pirhapac

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

MrPacman your back, thought you dont post on the zone anymore

PSN ID
    pirhapac

cuz i like this little batpac and for support my batmate leungbok

: perversely adhering to an opinion, purpose, or course in spite of reason, arguments, or persuasion

I don't agree with perversely, or reason

I never said it was illegal. I said I don't like it. the developers didn't add that for that pupose, but to make you be able to use a turbo at the start of a lap, so you wouldn't have to do another full lap before getting a good start. All I said, is I think that technique sucks, like I think snaking in fzero sucks. Neither are illegal, and if I go for best times in lap mode, I will certainly use that technique. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

OH, one second. so does that mean if I press start, then set myself up for a barrel roll better, by pitching and tapping like a nut, to make sure I get every barrel roll as I hit start again, that those records would be fine for time trial mode?