Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitching mechanics (?)

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Lightbulb Pitching mechanics (?)

I didn't find any thread about pitch in the game, so here it is I hope.

I never gave pitching much thought when I raced (or when I race even now), but I know about it so little. Maybe I am stretching it too much here, but is there any point to it besides not hitting the ground or evading the obstacle at the end of the AP overpass? Whenever I race on SC it becomes so obvious that pitch should be used; if it's just when you reach the first jump, or when you take the hard bowl right turn inside the tunnel (even so when racing backwards) - it is impossible to avoid hitting the ground if I am not pitch (or trying to).

The other thing I was interested in knowing about is if affects the craft in any way - handling (I really wanna see a change to the way a craft feels if it take a bomb when you pitch up or down, for example), or speed (mostly interested in this).

Those are just examples. Of course pitching is number 1 aid when concerning barrel rolls, but I would like to here from you ace zone pilots about your thoughts on the matter, and share with up pitching tactics on the various tracks.

or , if you want there is some as well.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

ah pitching, you'll be getting many answers for this i'm sure

yeldar + pitching goes as follows: i don't really pitch at all when i'm racing unless i'm pitching up to make sure i can make a barrel roll. my lack of pitching is almost certainly the reason why there are many pilots faster than myself (amongst other things of course)
    pitching doesn't affect your speed in the slightest, unlike in pulse.
    pitching up while going round sharp corners can help you cut them a little. this is especially true for the first corner on sebenco.

I can't really think of much else to say at the moment because i'm quite tired but i'll be sure to edit my post if i do

Edit: that didn't take long... I'll include BR pitching as well but not BRs that can be aquired without pitching...they're pretty obvious

Vineta K
    • Pitch up: for BR in first tunnel, off the 2nd speed pad on the mini straight, off the 2nd ledge, exiting the tunnel (for 2BRs).
    • Pitch down: if you use a turbo so that you minimise the time spent in the air, if you don't want to BR: off both the ledges so that you catch the speedpads, on the crest exiting the final tunnel.

Anulpha Pass
    • Pitch up: (slightly) when using a turbo after the first tunnel, when turning left onto the three pads (arrowhead) for a BR, the 'zico' roll
    • Pitch down: off the crest in the 2nd tunnel if you don't want to/can't BR (thanks mic-dk )

Moa Therma
    • Pitch up: for the left hander after the 1st mag, you can skip some of the track this way; if you have a turbo you can skip even more (both methods can get you a BR). the final chicane+BR, stay right before the 2nd mag and turbo + BR
    • Pitch down: err..... perhaps after the turbo shortcut if you have too much air, if you don't want to BR: in the last chicane so that you don't catch air off the first speedpad

Chenghou Project
    • Pitch up: off the first ledge if you hit the speed pad so that you miss the middle section, at the end of the loooong left hander to get a BR (not always necessary, it depends how you take the corner (sideshift etc...)). finishing straight + turbo will get you a BR
    • Pitch down: AROUND THE BANKED LEFT HANDER, off the final ledge before the finish. If you can't BR; at the start before the hairpin, all the way around the banked turn.

Metropia
    • Pitch up: at the first crest to get a BR; at the end of the mag strip for a BR; at the left hander just after the mag strip for a BR onto the speed pad (onto the straight before the final sharp right-hander); the final turn (it helps you cut the corner)
    • Pitch down: if you can't BR: at the first crest, leaving the mag strip, onto the speedpad at the exit of the left-hander after the magstrip

Sebenco Climb
    • Pitch up: Around the first corner (to cut it), on the 1st speedpad inside the tunnel for a BR (before you turn right), exiting the tunnel for a BR (2 is quite easy if you miss the speedpad), off the ledge before the last corner for a BR, on bump in the last corner + turbo for a BR.
    • Pitch down: the bump after the 1st corner, after the crest after the speedpad on the 2nd corner until the 4th corner (the final hairpin), the crest after the weapon pads if you BR before the crest. if you can't BR: the crest after the weapon pads at the top of the hill, exiting the tunnel.

Ubermall
    • Pitch up: + sideshift right on the first speedpad to cut the corner + BR, after the BR on the bump after the split so that you can cut the corner before the final chicane (+BR), at the crest just before the finish for a BR (or 2 if you keep pitching), at the start/finish line + turbo for a BR, just before the split for a BR.
    • Pitch down: after the hill after the split, after the turbo-shortcut (from the hill after split), after you cut the corner after the hill, if you turbo on the last crest, if you can't BR: at the top of the hill on the finishing straight

Sol 2
    • Pitch up: on the 3rd speedpad (before the long turns) for a BR (you can also do this without hittin the speedpad so that you get a weapon instead), around the first long turn, at the end of the 2nd long turn for a BR --- with turbo: after the 1st speedpad you can cut the corner (stay inside the blue wing thingy or you'll respawn), at the end of the 2nd long turn for a BR, exiting the final corner for a BR over the line (you still get the weapon which is helpful).
    • Pitch down: if you can't BR: at the 3rd speedpad, at the end of the 2nd long corner.

Reverse Tracks coming soon...maybe

(if i have made any mistakes or missed anything out then feel free to let me know (especially the pilots who are faster than me, you know you you are ))

hope this helps
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 4th October 2009 at 12:19 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I think I'm the same as yeldar. I don't pitch much, but really should. I just find it throws me off course as I suck at it with the d-pad.

If you go over a small jump then you are likely to pitch up to pull off a barrel roll. However, there are some where you may actually want to pitch down. For example, the one near the end of Sol2 reverse, and also Anulpha reverse. I think those are two where you can do the barrel roll and stay very low, which should help you go a little faster. I don't expect the difference is huge, and not doing the barrel roll at all is certainly not as fast, so pitching up to make sure you get the roll is perhaps the best option. But as you learn more about individual tracks I think cases like these become more important to compete with the very best.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

Anulpha Pass
    Pitch down: When you don't want to BR off the hill at the end of the straight (just before the tracks narrows)

In fact pitch down whenever you don't want airtime. Much usefull. Sebenco Forward comes to mind.

cheers mic-dk, i'll add that to the list. I forgot that sometimes people don't want to/can't BR

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Pitch as such does not matter as much as previous versions of the game.

Pitch DOWN is only needed on Sebenco [if only to stop flying upwards unnecessarily ] and is nowhere needed as must as previous wipeouts,if at all.

I think the physics of HD were explained many moons ago in comparison to previous wipeout games.

Basically saying PITCH DOWN had been made redundant.

Others will post counter claiming this,but for the most part I think it's true.

With HD for certain.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Make sure to pitch down if you boost before the line on Ubermall Reverse.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

It probably is largely redundant in the average online game. But when trying to eke out tenths of a second in speed lap, for example, I think it becomes very improtant. Does no-one else use it one the banked left-hander on chenghou project? Surely you couldn't make that turn to well without it?

Let's not forget after the hill on Ubermall, both forward and reverse. You still get the barrel roll and also get back to the track mroe quickly. The more I think about it, the more places there are when pitching down will make you faster. It's not a case of only doing it if you don't want to barrel roll. It's still not a huge deal if you don't pitch down, but I can almost guarantee that the best of the best will pitch down more than most of us realise.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

Aye, Chengou F came to my mind as well. Without pitching down, you're all over the place.

Edit:@Yeldar Usually I only get one chance at that BR. The rest of the race I'm to shredded to try, so better keep that nose down
    Last edited by mic-dk; 25th May 2009 at 02:07 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I agree.
    But for the most part HD pitch down is very tolerant in comparison to previous incantations of wipeout.

I'm pretty sure we had that confirmed by one of the SL staff.

i think i probably pitch a lot more than i think i do but i thought i'd make a list just for the hell of it.
    i do agree with saturn that during online races it not all that crucial unless you are going for records (as with tt/sl). if you do happen to practice in tt/sl you're probably find yourself doing it subsonsciously in races which is no bad thing...

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

I don't use pitch as much and I can or should, but I never pitch on that one specific left bender on CP forward - I just try to stay in the middle and hold left down, and even without use air breaks I somehow manage to keep my ship stable - although I think this is because I race more on Rapier then on Phantom speed. That is probably it now that I think about it. However I think using pitch down there is only needed if you come in too hard on the air breaks, and I DO remember on occasion not using pd (pitch down) and still surviving the turn well.

On SC I use pd only after the first turn, but maybe I should too on the third, blind right, hill corner. I think all other turns require pu to help avoid grinding the groud, no?

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    It probably is largely redundant in the average online game. But when trying to eke out tenths of a second in speed lap, for example, I think it becomes very improtant. Does no-one else use it one the banked left-hander on chenghou project? Surely you couldn't make that turn to well without it?
    I think it is wrong to assume so, because in high skill races, such as races done by members here, every bit of skill counts no? Correct me if I'm wrong, but many here use pitch when racing online (I think). Would be strange for me if not...
    Last edited by H3avyM3tal; 25th May 2009 at 02:54 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I think that statement still stands. By largely I mean most of the time on most tracks, pitch isn't a necessity. I think the places where it matters are very specific. Also, by average online game, I don't mean one full of zoners. That's definitely an above average game. But obviously, if you get the hang of proper pitching then it will give you an advantage. It just doesn't play as big a role as things like barrel rolls and sideshifting.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

It might come down to two factors.
    Firstly if you use the D-Pad or not - If you DO use the D-Pad then you would most likely notice HAVING to use it.
    If using the stick,well it would not be as noticeable as the movements are less specific.

Secondly is that unless previously known piloting skills are needed regarding this matter,if you don't know it you never had it,sort of situation.

A pure [NEW] ZONER might of picked up on this need for pitch instinctively on certain tracks.

Older zoners would know,but only react by pure intuition.

A small but significant difference .
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 25th May 2009 at 03:47 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

^When it comes down to skills, it starts by nesseccity then becomes intuition. I think that goes for everything in life.

@SaturnReturn: I am aware of what you meant and I agree. I was however refferring to specific cases (ie tracks). For example, how many of you instinctively use pitch when racing CB, and how many use putch when racing AP? The tracks are different, and each one requires different aproach to pitching, but the difference here lies in the fact that if you won't use pu on CB, you will grind the floor alot, which will result in slower times. And that is what I find interesting.

We always use pu to avoid grinding, and always use pd to avoid grinding air - which is a natural reflex of course, when not concerning brs. I just would like to have pitching play a more complex roll in the game (a different issue for a different thread I think).

On the skill matter, one example I find hard to master is using pd on the hill with the weapon pad on UM. You would naturally use pu or no pitch at all, but I find that sometimes it is better to try and go for the pad, esspeccially when the race is close. I always end up grinding the floor or else I will miss that pad.

*Sorry about misspelling words, ff isn't correcting them apperantly...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BlochNWhitey

About.. 100% of the time I have my pitch on SixAxis at about.. 60% if i'm remembering correctly. After realizing that sebenco needed it I pretty much have it turned on all the time. (only to turn it off during zone sessions) With the way I hold the controller, my ship is always pitched down somewhat, I find that it helps me take tighter lines and keeps my ship on the ground, instead of going up in the air when I really prefer to stay on the ground, if I need to pitch up for a BR then I'll use the D-Pad to do so.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    jan709

pitching is like side-shifting for me, i never learnt how to use it and so i dont. But i really should. Im going to try use that pitch in the turns suggested here.

As an off topic question can someone give me a few turns where side-shifting is very important so i can train it there?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

i had to learn pitch for Zico trophy, because it helps for BR

but i didnt know it was so important. i'll leanr it like sideshift, then it will be a second nature...

i'm coming from Wipeout Fusion (in which pitch had no influence cause of Mag tracks), so it was a bit strange for me.
    but now i start to control my ship to make what i want, and go where i want to, i understand what you all are talking about.

and with the pitch down speed mod thing on Pure (or pulse, idk), old zoners are all aware of pitch, which i'm not.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    It might come down to two factors.
    Firstly if you use the D-Pad or not - If you DO use the D-Pad then you would most likely notice HAVING to use it.
    I have to agree with you there, Blackwiggle. I'm a permanent d-pad user and it is necessary to press up and down to pitch. Analogue sticks I'm guessing are different, but I have such little experience with them.

Typically I pitch where I feel necessary. I pitch to change the trajectory of my ship when using boosts, for example pulling up on Anulpha Pass to perform the shortcut on the first straight. Pitching is useful on Sol 2 forward to get more airtime to be able to pull off two barrel rolls on the track that are almost impossible without pitching.

Pitching down is a lot less common for me than pitching up. Like what has been said in the thread, pitching down is only for reducing airtime namely on Sebenco Climb and the murderous turn on Chenghou Project Forward.

Pitching is an important aspect of the game for me, but not as important as in prevois WipEout games. I think it is a good idea to try and master it to reduce lap times. Without it I'm sure some SL/TT times would be a lot slower.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Amorbis, what shortcut on AP first straight are you talking about?