Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Zone Zeus

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    diddymal

Well I've managed to break zone 70 on Syncopia after sitting on 63-64 for the last couple of days.. I know I can make zone 75, I was going along just great but I had to pause at zone 67 when the sun came through my windows and blinded me as soon as i started up again I ping ponged around and lost almost all my shield. I'll give it a break for today and come back tomrrow.

*edit* scratch that I just got to 75 on my first try this arvo, I only lasted like 2 seconds after supersonic though, I might try get to 80 tonight. Zone mode is aesome fun.
    Last edited by diddymal; 2nd September 2009 at 09:42 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Kurlija

I finally reached Supersonic tonight...and crashed a couple of seconds after that.

What I saw of the colors was beautiful, though.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Mark this day somehow.

PSN ID
    Reezellthia

One problem with barrel rolling is you're forever looking up at your shield to see if you can do one or if you should save it up a bit. This can make you crash!
    Now I look at the lights on my ship (only just worked out what they're for today :O), and get distracted less.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sh1kamaru-

I did that too but that's worse for me but with the custom wip3out hud everything's just fine

2097 hud is nice too, not too much information, only meaningful ones

Timezone
    GMT + 1

after finally beating zico today i guess its time for me to go after the zone zeus.
    2nd attempt of the day took me to zone 70 on syncopia.. we'll see how many weeks i need to push it those 5 zones further xD

Timezone
    GMT + 1

zone 75.2 reached
    i'm fully pumped on adrenaline now xD
    i had 95% shield at zone 70 then the phone rang and all my concentration was gone, luckily i managed to get zone zeus, otherwise i would have had to kill whoever called me

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Zix-Xer

settings how i fly,
    hud effects off
    hud 2097, because it is clean
    no vibration
    no motion pitch
    d-pad
    cockpit, because it looks allot faster and nicer if you can fly that way.
    put tv contrast lower, beter for eyes.

i take a small tv breake after every zone game, 10 + min, makes my brain not overload XD

I want to get the zone zeus on Vineta K, i know there are alot more easy tracks, but i just want to do it on that track.

i now am at zone 70, i can already do perfect laps on mach 1, but i always crach at the tunnel and lose 50% of my HP and then it is over pretty fast,

ill do barrol rols till around zone 35, after 35 it is hard to get only perfects, but it is getting beter.

hope to get it this week.

here a vid of me getting to spot 28 of the world on vineta k (now i am 17e spot) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btHU2FEQ0Wc

psn Zix-Xer

PSN ID
    dieeeeee

I've hit the wall on moa therma Can't get past 66 and keep getting dumb scrapes in the early speeds. I'm determined to get to supersonic on this track since I can't seem to put a good run in on any of the other tracks. Not got fury yet but even when I do I'll still be trying to get this probably.

To ProblemSolver: After discovering who you were when I last looked at the leaderboards, I can see why my name is funny to you . Got any tips to get those last few zones?

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Does anyone else feel the magic of the supersonic colour scheme has been diminished
    slightly due being able to see it for (pretty much) as long as one likes in Zone Battle?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@Subsonic Retinal Burn: It's difficult to judge from here what you need to
    finally get to Supersonic on Moa Therma, but judging from your actual record
    of 66/37 it seems like that you aren't able to handle the ZONE craft's dynamics
    just yet, because you lack perfect zones with respect to your total zones.
    You need to work on you precision to incease your perfect zones. Doing more
    perfect zones will gave you more shield to enter into higher zones. However,
    Moa Therma isn't the best track to work on one's precision. Go over to Anulpha
    Pass and do some zone 90+ runs and try to do as many perfect zones as possible.
    Anulpha Pass has some interesting sections where you will learn how to stabilize
    the craft using only some slight touches to the airbrakes, which is of utmost
    importance on the mag stripes on Moa Therma once the speed goes up.

@yeldar2097: I feel the same. I think SL stepped back, with the advent of Fury,
    from giving 'some' people something special another one can't get as easily.
    The (HD-) supersonic color scheme was once something worth to go for on its
    very own. But today it's just another scheme when playing Zone Battle. And
    even the Fury supersonic color scheme isn't something special within this
    regard, because it's far too easy to get there (on Syncopia for example). They
    didn't even implemented some new color schemes for zone 100+. They may have
    thought that it's not worth considering because only a 'few' people can enjoy
    it. But I always thought that WipEout has something to offer for those who are
    really looking out for a serious challenge, which obviously isn't the case with
    Fury. I mean look at all the added Fury trophies, they are so boring. I didn't
    even played the Fury campaign to get them all and I won't do so anytime soon if
    ever. Up to my point of view it was a bad decision to not include any
    challenging silver or gold trophy within Fury. Who needs all those bronze
    trophies? There are already enough bronze trophies within WipEout HD. Would be
    cool if they had spent their Fury-trophy-budget for only some challenging
    silver and gold trophies. Well, there is a trend in the gaming industry in
    making games too easy such that every player can see all the content without
    any effort. And secondly, most games today do depend on the rating system of
    some well known magazines, i.e. a hard game is likely to get a lower score for
    no reasons or gets bad publicity once it is known that this game isn't an easy
    one. Keeping the balance is key, and I think WipEout HD got it just right
    whereas Fury doesn't. Fury even took away the challenge with respect to the
    leaderboards, because they are not updating for ages. *sigh*

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    AppleJack052570

Well, I'm slowly getting there...but I'm still a ways away from Zone Zeus (been trying for it on Anulpha foward)

Juist made it to Zone 68 with 45 perfects, and 17 perfect laps out of 34 total laps, total score of 189,027. I did barrel rolls off the shortcut until about Zone 35. Probably just need to practice more, try to get even better at controlling the Zone ship.

yea, I thought it was just me but the leaderboards haven't updated in who knows how long. According to the leaderboard, my high score on Anulpha is 99,392 with 45 zones, and I've just nearly doubled that.

And still nothing has been done about the glitchers on the Anulpha leaderboard..

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

@Applejack,Leave the barrel rolls till you can actually get to zone zeus. It'll save you more shield energy, then go for score. Concentrate more on the driving side of it

ProblemSolver, the elite always love elitism, the non-elite don't; what is a company to do? Compromise or no? Which action produces the most financial profit to the company?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@Lance: Yeah I know that these two things sometimes contradict each other.
    I tried not to write from an elites-only perspective such that my argument
    holds true even for those not being as addicted to the game like most of us
    here. And I don't think that the decision for including (or not including)
    only bronze trophies or a new color scheme beyond zone 100+ hinders SLs profit.
    It's just not well thought off from my perspective. Fury offers virtually no
    challenge.

Let me be more precise on the challenge thing. It's not like that I wanna
    have a challenge (a gold trophy) just for the sake of it. A good challenge is
    something where one can follow the thoughts of some of the developers while
    trying to beat something which was crafted out very well, like the Zico trophy.
    One of the unspoken things in gaming is to beat those guys who know the game
    inside out, the developers! Back in the days most games had some tough
    (sometimes hidden) challenge posed by one of the developers. And it is always
    pleasing to beat them on their own bits and bytes. But today the story is
    different, almost all trophies of all PS3 games are crap -- 'kill X opponents'
    bla bla bla. Most people got all the Fury trophies in no time. What's the deal?

WipEout offers so many possibilities for crafting very valuable trophies
    and I can't see how those trophies should hinder SLs profit. I know no one
    who bought Fury because of all the bronze trophies.

The problem with the trophy system is that most 'developers' abuse it in one
    way or another, for example to just simply show one's progress in the game
    and similar things. I'm fine with this when we also get something for real,
    but we didn't, because the trophy budget of an DLC is limited and SL has
    decided to spend their budget on only the bronze ones. They did that in favor
    to have as much trophies as possible -- for all the trophy b!tches out there. xD

Elitism? I don't think so.

PSN ID
    dieeeeee

Zone 90+? this could take a while.

However I have been doing some anulpha pass zone time like you suggested and I kind of see what I've been doing wrong (in spite of not being able to break 60 on it). Been way too heavy on the airbrakes when minor taps would be adequate. Now I've been jumping between that and Moa Therma to keep things fresh for myself. Got better zone consistency on Moa Therma but when I lose control now, I really lose it badly for some reason, so I can't seem to get as far up the zones at the moment (current best is 62/41).

I guess it's one thing knowing what you're doing wrong and another thing entirely trying to fix it .

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    keade

I'm playing with the d-pad, not the analog, I'm wondering if that could be a bad idea.
    Whatever, I hate that _ç'éÃ*&@# "thing"attached to the ceiling and it hates me back I guess I've to point down not to hit it, it seems to work...
    (edit : oh actually I've just watched some video and the guy simply jumps earlier, I'll try that)

Damn, I suck ... I usually die at zone 58 or so. Also I hate super zen and Mach I colors :'/ I know the boosts by heart but not seeing them distract me.

My best : 65 zones, 36 perfects zones, 11 (only) perfect laps, 384 boosts. I'm improving very slowly :/ if only there was an option to start at a precise zone
    Last edited by Kaede; 19th September 2009 at 11:37 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mietepiet

sideshift early off that upper lane (after last speedpad)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    keade

I'm stupid. At zone 66 I checked what zone I was at.
    That made me lose ALL my focus and I lose 10 seconds after that.
    I'm noticing I screw up at that upper lane most of the time, falling off into the unknown.

@problemsolver : there are several approaches to trophies. I believe some developers see them as a way to make player try everything in the game. Like, if there is a "kill at least 10 soldiers using weapon X", there are more chance every player will give the weapon "X" a little chance.
    I personnally don't like trophies very much because, many times, they aren't specific enough and two players can obtain the same trophy in different conditions, which makes obtaining it either very easier or very difficult, which the games don't keep track of. I'm not even talking of videos : one player could mimic a video and succeed at obtaining something which could require some reflexion or try and error, but the trophies list won't show that either.
    I'm still trying zone zeus because I just like that speed I probably won't do most of the other trophies though.

edited by Lance for Kaede, to add >

Yeah \o/ I did it.
    Not *that* hard, the hardest is not panicking and not steering too hard when there impacts otherwise it goes left, right, left, right, bee-bee-beeep BOOM

I've read that the game doesn't accelerate after zone 75, is that true ?

edit : oops, sorry, should've edited my post (that's what I wanted to do actually)
    edit 2 : thank you
    Last edited by Kaede; 20th September 2009 at 09:50 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I kept adjusting the sensitivity of the airbrakes, muted SFX, turned rumble off and chose "light" music for my zone playlist. Within about five zone races I got ca. ten zones higher and reached zone 75. All those changes made it way easier for me to focus on the race again when I made a mistake.