Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which side of the split do you take?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BlochNWhitey

Default Which side of the split do you take?

Which side of the Ubermall split do you usually default to? The reason I ask is because i've been noticing that people that drive (in real life) on the right or left side of the road, automatically default to the opposite side of the Ubermall split. I'm an American so I default to the left side, but drive on the right.

So yeah, which side of the split do you take and which side of the road do you drive on? (Even if you can't legally drive yet/don't drive. )

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I don't drive, but I did pass my test. If I were to drive it would be on the left. I indeed take the right side of the split on ubermall forward, but the left side on reverse, until recently. I changed to the right side to get the weapon. I think on ubermall forward you can get a speed pad and a weapon on the left so it should be better.

An interesting observation that anyway

PSN ID
    MAXIMUS-eB-

same!i drive on the left but take the right side!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

I drive on the right (mostly...), and always take the left at split. Both forward and reverse. On forward you get a boost+weapon, on reverse there's 3 speed pads to get in in front of the guy going right, picking up rockets and killing you on the straight...

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Identical, I always go right

What an interesting observation!

PSN ID
    Axellink

I drive on the left and take the left. TBH it felt more natural taking the left

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

on forward i used to go to the right because it felt more natural (norwegians drive on the right side.) but now i always go to the left because of the speedpad+ weapon combo. on reverse it depends on how close i am to the guy in front. if im up to 5 shiplengths behind i go to the right, if less i go to the left. so it depends on my chances of getting a weapon.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BlochNWhitey

It's interesting to see what the results are but I have one more question.

For those of you (or anyone that wants to answer as well) who don't go the opposite way, are you left handed or right handed?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    zeeZinator

I drive right, always take the left one. But on forward I think it's because the right of the split seems so dark, and I can't see dark stuff very well on my tv. That's probably the reason for me not going beyond zone 60 aswell

I am... left handed, I think. I do write with left, but can do pretty much everything else with either hand

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

interesting question, although im not sure what impact it would have
    but anyways im around 60% righthanded 40% lefthanded. so im semi ambidextrous

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

yeldar2097:
    • Ambidextrous
    • Drives on left
    • Defaults to left (situation depending of course)

I've come up with a reason for taking the left : I'm dutch so I was born to drive on the right hand side, hence taking the left split

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I always take the right part of the split on forward and reverse. On the reverse track there's a weapon pad on the right which I always go for, but for the forward track I have no real reason.

Being British I drive (if I could drive) on the left and I'm right handed. I'm guessing it's because I'm right handed and the weapon pad is easier to get.

The same thing could be applied to other games, too. On any Street Fighter game I'm more comfortable fighting on the left and attacking to the right; I find it more natural pulling off hadoukens that way. Just for the fun of it I drive on the left sometimes in GTA, but I think that's just me being a bit silly .

PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE

Interesting thread!

I'm driving right side, am right handed.

On fwd I take the left side because it has always felt like the right cornering manoeuvre. My guess it is because it appears to have the best perspective taking the opposite side providing with the best view going into it. Although it's probably an illusion it makes sense because of the accustomed layout you're acquanted with.

On rev I've always taken the same side though, meaning turning right. I've thought about it before because it seemed to be non-sensical.. Both sides are most likely equal in shape but mirrored. In my case I'm thinking it's because of the order of the turns following eachother. In my way I'm making right, left (at the split), right moves; on rev I'm taking left, right (at the split), left moves. This means my hands never need to itterate taking sides at the split so the chance I confuse myself is minimal, and this frequently happens when I'm forced to choose different sides by situations during races..

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BlochNWhitey

I'll be honest, on Reverse i never even knew there was a weapon pad on the right side. >>

It's also funny to note that the Autopilot even defaults to the right side of the split, SL being in England and all.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DividedXZero

Well i'm sure they are identical in length, but i always take Left on fwd and right on reverse.

A lot of it has to do with the illusion (i guess) in which this particular side IMO always appears as the shortest distance because it's visually seen. Also another reason is having given this some thought in the past...to me it always seems that where the intial split is located on fwd is dead center equal split BUT where they conjoin back together the right side (going fwd) looks like it's more of an angle (not a large one though) and the left side (still going fwd) allows for a more straight line. For this reason is why i also veer to the right going reverse.

Keep in mind this is merely how i see it and my mind interprets it, logically it makes sense SL would make the track equal in length on both sides.

*I'm American and drive on the right side of the road because those are our traffic laws, but i use left and right lanes as needed to pass traffic. (yeah speed, but where i live it's safer to speed a little than to drive along with traffic. People here don't pay attention and are usually oblivious to their surroundings behind the wheel...scary stuff)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KomatosRecords

Live in US, drive on right, right handed (mostly; slightly ambidextrous), and on Ubermall forward I take the left side, for three reasons:
    1) the speed & weapon pads
    2) seems (psychologically) shorter & easier for me to make those turn combinations for the following section
    3) which is me trying to pull off a semi-clean barrel roll at the top of that hill where the speed pad is.

Whenever I try to take the right I usually bump walls more often and can't pull off the following BR.

Another factor for me that happens in any Wipeout, going way back to the original. Because of the way the controllers and my hands/brain work, doing airbraking with the left airbrake is always easier than doing airbraking with the right airbrake. I always tend to corner left chicanes much better than right ones, because I get better drift when applying the left airbrake while turning left and having inertia slide my ship to the right. Too much wall scraping the opposite direction. I think it has to do (yet again) with living in the US, driving a car on the right side of the road, but the steering wheel being on the left side of the car.
    Last edited by komatos; 29th April 2009 at 09:30 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

I drive on the right and I'm right-handed.

On Ubermall Forward I go left and on Ubermall Reverse I go right.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Drive on the right but always take the left. Every time I hit the split with AP on it takes the right and I always freak out.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Usaually right on both,but recently on Ubermall forward the weapon pad on the right side has not be functioning in a lot of races so I've been going left.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    boo4ever

i take the left side on forward and reverse. i drive on the right and i am left-handed.