Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: PS3 NeGcon - Can it be done???

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Pictures please, it's exciting The first one was pretty cool, so if the second one is better... !!!

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    Maybe Ih8you or RDC can help me here

engadget.com/2006/10/10/how-to-analog-control-stick-for-your-sony-psp

this site shows the pin layout of the psp vs a regular analog stick, and how to connect an analog stick to the psp. Since the negcon has only three pins for the turn, where would these three wires be connected to from the negcon potentiometer?
    It's the same as a Stick, the neGcon just has the X-Axis (left/right) where the Stick has and X-Axis (left/right) and Y-Axis (up/down), so you'd just connect it to the spots the X-axis of the Stick are using, which going by that diagram is A/B/C, with B being the Wiper (center pin) then A and C being power/ground, and if ya get the power/ground backwards it'll just work backwards is all and swapping them will fix it.

thanks, I'll give it a try soon.

xavier, I'll post the pics after I finish my xbox version

xbox negcon now is a reality. I wish I had the thrustmaster wheel for it, but I ended up just using the yamaha motorcycle wheel that was made for it (kinda). The yamaha wheel comes with a controller converter for xbox/gamecube, and has sensitivity settings, although with this game, I would rather have it perform like it does on the other wheel, set at 45 degrees. Anyway, I think this will work well when I get used to it.

IH8you, I was wondering how the one you were making was working out?

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

Default Oh yeah!

I've just succeeded in building a microcontroller-based circuit that allows me to use an unmodified negcon on the ps3. I'm pretty pleased as I've spent practically every spare moment for the last three weeks trying to figure this out!

At the moment it only works on full sensitivity. This should be trivial to code a solution for, but I'd like to use a potentiometer to calibrate sensitivity so as I have to learn ADC routines for the controller it might take a little while to get right! Also, only the twist is analog. I think I should be able to get the other buttons analog but it's not a priority as I've never used them that way. Likewise the lack of home button.

quick picture: (my camera is ) http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/alb...pictureid=2081

more details to follow!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

That sounds very promising. An analogue option would be good, but I'm not sure about analogue buttons for WipEout HD. With the sideshifts and barrel rolls, I think digital would work better. So perhaps full analogue is not a necessity for HD but may be for the other games.

PSN ID
    PHO-KU

lovely!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

You guys are genius ! You should use Webex and cooperate among all of you and maybe this could be financed one day?
    I had chance to get into my hands Al's HD Neg V1.0, i sent it back to him to get the new V2.0

Special greetings to you Element42, Mister Mo(lybdenum). great to see back an old Neggie lover

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

I'll buy 2!!!

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

More progress, have successfully added potentiometer for calibration, as well as some push switches to map the buttons not on the negcon (L2, L3, R2, R3 & select). I have attempted the home button and analog buttons but no success... actually, I could use a little help here.
    I need to see some HID reports for other PS3 devices. An HID report is a little chunk of code that tells a host device exactly what a USB peripheral is and can do. I managed to get my adaptor working after essentially copying the report from a standard PSX -> USB adaptor. If I'm going to get the home and analog buttons working, I think I'm going to need to see the HID report of something else with a home button and analog buttons! The Sixaxis/dualshock3 has a report that is very complicated so ideally what I want is a report from a steering wheel with analog throttle & brake (like the Arno-con! which presumably maps the analog buttons), and a PS3 adaptor something like this:
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/alb...pictureid=2084
    That's a PS3 adaptor that will take a PSX controller and a PSX memory card. Unfortunately mine doesn't work! But importantly it has a home button.

So, how do you find out the HID report?
    1. Install USBlyzer (trial version) from http://www.usblyzer.com/download.htm
    2. plug in the gamepad to the computer.
    3. Install & open the program
    4. In the top-left panel (device tree) click on the port that is directly above the gamepad (should say something like Port x: USB human interface device)
    5. In the bottom-left panel, scroll down to the bottom section (Interface x: HID report descriptor). This should begin with something like "Usage Page (generic desktop) 05 01'. Select to the bottom, copy and paste into notepad or something.
    6. It would also be useful if you could go to Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Properties and find out which button number lights up when your press the home button.
    7. Shoot me a PM with the info!
    Right, that's all for now. The home & analog buttons are really just a software issue so I can get on with some stripboard soldering to properly 'make' this thing...
    Last edited by element42; 25th March 2010 at 05:03 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I'm not sure I fully understood that but....

I have a PS2 controller and a PS3/PC adapter which maps the home button to the analog button for use on PS3. The only thing is that when plugged into a PC, I don't know what the analog button will actually do. But the PS2 buttons are all analogue I think, so I can record the HID report if you think it might be useful.

EDIT: OK, now I'm not so sure. My firewall/anti-virus says the uninstaller is a virus.
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 7th March 2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: .

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    EDIT: OK, now I'm not so sure. My firewall/anti-virus says the uninstaller is a virus.
    Do you mean the uninstaller for the device monitor software?
    Hmmm. That could be a problem. I used it okay, but I've only got AVG installed on my Windows partition (I use linux mostly ). I expect there's other stuff out there that'll do the job, I'll investigate.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Yup, the uninstaller for the HDD USB Monitor. It says, "heur.suspicious@25132460". I use COMODO firewall and anti-virus. Maybe it's just being paranoid, but I'd obviously rather not install it if there's any risk that the uninstaller is going to be unavailable when I come to use it.

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

I agree, better to be safe. I've edited my post. I have found three alternatives but it'll have to wait until tomorrow for me to check how to use them as my laptop with Windows on is at work...
    Last edited by element42; 7th March 2010 at 05:57 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    afatsuoM

Thumbs up Wow!

First of all, element42... YOU ROCK!

Second, now I'm really happy I bought a NeGcon.

And last. I used to have a little program to use my sixaxis controller in Windows. I'll look into it, maybe it can make some HID reports.

[edit]
    Maybe this and this helps?
    Last edited by afatsuoM; 8th March 2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added links

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

Thanks afatsuoM, but I've already seen those... the sixaxis HID is very complicated - I've tried using the appropriate parts but failed. I might still be able to use it if all else fails, though.

I've found another USB analyzer program that to the best of my knowledge is not malware. It's called USBlyzer. I've adjusted the details in my previous post. Please let me know if any security suites detect any issues

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

This one comes up clean for me. Will try it later tonight when I finish working.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    wichetael

@element42 What kind of controller do you use? and what do you code it with? Assembly or higher level? What do you use to interface with USB, is USB integrated into the controller or do you just bit bang the USB protocol?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I did as per the instructions for my Dualshock2. File is attached with the HID report, but in the game controller menu nothing is shown when I hit the analog button (which on PS3 works as the home button with this adapter). All it does is decrease the two bars for the stick input for a split second as the analog light flickers off and on quickly. So I guess the home button thing only works on the PS3 and does nothing on a PC. Maybe the HID report is the same anyway? I have no clue, but it's there in case it helps at all.
    Attached Files Attached Files

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

That looks like it might be very useful, thanks a lot SaturnReturn! The report is very similar to what I'm using, but with an additional undefined axis (this might be the home button), four more buttons (perhaps d-pad double definition), and a further section on the end which I'm pretty sure governs the analog button responses...

@wich - I'm using an AVR ATMega8 - see http://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/index.html for details. I've no real idea how it does its magic. In particular, my project is adapted from the PS2USB project by Primož Kranjec which uses the serial interface on the AVR chip to communicate with the PS controller. I'm coding in c, which I've never used before and am having to learn as I go!
    I'm putting together a web page with details which will hopefully be ready by the end of the week for anyone who wants to try making one...