Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 NeGcon - Can it be done???

the board is simple actually, all slot ins and no sodering at all. some buttons were on all the time, some were off the dpad was always on. It is NOT set like that, however there is a compatablility issue for what ever reason. The buttons are working fine though in place of the dpad, except it is taking longer. I'll probably need to find better buttons for it at some point. I ripped that dpad out of a motorcycle controller for the ps2. the face button pad as well. I might just try and find another dpad that doesn't create this. The controller is twisting excellent however when I tested it out on tt. Can't wait to get it into working order.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    jan709

A bit off topic here:

I have never touched a neg-con, whats so great about it? (am i asking a stupid question? please dont kill me )

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

In short: Precise steering and pitching at the same time.

mine is done, at least all the wires are connected, and working correctly. I just need to put the negcon back together carefully now. I might wait until tomorrow

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

What?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MAMUTHcz

dont forget to give us photos and maybe some gameplay video, im really curious about this project of yours. i never had the pleassure to try negcon myself, but from what ive seen,that thing must be super cool for racing

COMPLETED. It works incredible, better than I expected when I tested it earlier. I really cannot believe that it works so well. I took it for a spin on chenchou reverse, and all barrel rolls work fantastic, and it makes the turns very smoothly. Hell, that last sharp turn was easy it seemed, even compared to dpad. It felt like it turned sharper for whatever reason, maybe the analog, who knows. One thing I can give is, it made the game feel slow, maybe this is just for me, I don't know, but I hate using a dpad, because it is so imprecise, always tapping maybe. but with this, wow. I'm celebrating with some breyers cookies and cream ice cream.

still to come though:

1) I need to tape these wires together very carefully, then set the base up so it will not be dusturbed by jordan hitting it in the head with a spoon (arnaud)

2) I need to clean this mess that has been in the living room for a week, ugg

3) need to get used to the button setup to use this thing correctly

4) next time I need to use very small gauge wire. At first when I finally had it together, the wires that went from one side of the negcon to the other interfered with the twist, not making it spring back to center. I juried it to work right, but next time I just need to use small wire

5) There are 21 wires coming out of this thing, HEAVY, but will be better when I tape it up. Once again, small wires would be nice

6) The digital microswitches I put under the red buttons work fantastically, very quick reaction time. The original blue buttons also work very well.

7) I need better buttons for the triggers next time, but all the important stuff with the quick tapping can be done on the dpad and the face buttons

The dpad I put in ended up coming from a handheld one dollar controller I found at big lots. It is very responsive, but would like a little better dpad next time. I would almost consider buttons if the were sensitive enough for quick tapping.

My first attempt here is ugly I must admit, but not as ugly as it was going to be with the other face buttons and dpad that did not work. I'll try and get a picture up as soon as I can

Thumbs up

Are you just doing small twists to perform a BR yeah?

I cant wait to see some pics/ videos of this Al

Respect bro

dpad for the barrel rolls. I actually got some barrel rolls by turning the twist, and touching dpad opposite twice, but it wasn't working all the time. They work very nicely. That was the part I was little worried about

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

I'll stand in the queue waiting for videos

Great work Al! Too bad I'm better with a welder than a soldering iron - I'm afraid the NegCon wouldn't survive that

2 thumbs up!

I ended up doing no soldering with what I used, so it worked out great. I could have but it was uneccessary

PSN ID
    GreenPhazon

When can we see pics/gameplay vids?

I don't have the time yet to do that. Hopefully soon.

I just played extreme g3 and fzero gx with it, not bad at all. If it wasn't for the snaking in gx, this thing worked great, very smooth with the setting adjustments. It plays extremely well on chenchou reverse, and felt pretty good on sebenco foward. It is going to take getting used to, but I can tell by the feel of it, It will make an appearance at the next wipeout tourney. If I had left the psp 2 tv together, I could have used it for wipeout pure. I think that would be even better than hd.

sorry xavier, got to get to bed, will try kinetica another time. Does kinetica allow for dpad movement?
    Last edited by JABBERJAW; 15th July 2009 at 03:40 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Here is where the one I've been working on is at, it's pretty much all cosmetic right now as all of the working bits have been sorted out already, just taking my sweet time on it as I had to rewire 98% of it and make up a 17 wire cable from the neGcon.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...neG3con008.jpg

I still have the PS (Home) button and the player LEDs left to install, then wire up the PIC/DAC board and PS3 controller to each other then to the neGcon controller, some final testing to make sure it still works like it did before and that'll be about it. The control box has the PS, Select and Mode buttons installed on it, as well as the LEDs to display which max twisting radius (Default, 90, 75, 45) that it's in, and the miniUSB connector for syncing/charging to the PS3. More pics to come after I get things sorted and all in place.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

I am glad you did it Al, i don't forget what you said 2 years ago : "there's no reason it's not working"
    That is an incredible step ahead
    Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    1) I need to tape these wires together very carefully, then set the base up so it will not be dusturbed by jordan hitting it in the head with a spoon (arnaud)
    If in future SL wants to release a retro weapon pack featuring a deadly wooden spoon , i am sure Jordan will get that trophy very quickly and guess who will be his first casualty ?

RDC your model looks also awesome!

Hope those incredible jobs you did guys will be very inspirating for 3rd parties manufacturers and they will release a controller like this !

RDC, can you post a pic of where you soldered to the main dpad board? or do you have a pic of that?

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    RDC, can you post a pic of where you soldered to the main dpad board? or do you have a pic of that?
    I removed all of the components from the neGcon's board and soldered to the pads where the IC was..

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3.../neGcon033.jpg

It doesn't look quite like this now internally, as all that wiring was removed and redone for the new cable, but it's still pretty much the same and the same spots used. Since it's a Common Ground layout the D-pad connections run right to the IC on the board, so if it's removed ya have access to the one side of them right there, then any Ground spot for the other. You could also trace back a bit and use a Via if ya were so inclined. The Start button has to be isolated, unless your controller also uses a Common Ground type of layout, the PS3 controllers do not as they have a weirdo 3 Common line type of setup.

What size wire are you using on the inside now, what gauge? My next one needs much thinner wire.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Some of it's still the same 30awg Kynar wire (also called Wrapping wire) that's in that pic there, and then some of it is the new cable wire, which is a 28awg stranded type. Ya wouldn't want to use the 30awg wire for the actual cable, even though it would be really great since it's small, but it's a solid wire and will only take so many bends before it breaks, which is why I redid the inside of the controller as I had it run from one side of the neGcon to the other instead of the original cable. So before long it would have given up the ghost from all the twisting, but that's resolved now and the original cable reinstalled for that part with the new changes. That's why using a stranded wire is necessary as it can take more of that kind of abuse before giving out on ya, though eventually it will too.

28awg is what I should use then? I'm not even going to tell you what I used, I'll give you a hint though. Smallest wire at radio shack Can't wait to make another one.