Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: shipdesign analysis

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

HARIMAU:Part II
    Liveries:
    Before I start I would like to point out that the harimau is the only craft having three completely different liveries both in composition and colour scheme. They share some common details, but all in all I think its great to have this much variety to choose from in one ship.
    This livery is without doubt the brightest and most colourful livery in the game, the palette consists of orange, a couple of shades of yellow, white, light blue and turquoise.
    And the design is an interesting mix of symmetric and un-symmetric. The front hull is symmetric all the way in front of the cockpit, with a huge harimau logo formed out of the all orange nose tip and two triangular fields in two different shades of yellow further down the side. On top of this huge logo is “harimau” written in big blue letters followed by the harimau logo. This writing is repeated underneath the decal in a turquoise shadow effect. This logo is also found on the ridge running on the top of the ship, only slightly smaller. When the cockpit starts the white background is changed to orange with a blue, which is flat on the right side and jagged across the cockpit and left side. On this orange background the left side has the harimau slogan “a force of nature” in white followed by a small harimau logo (this is btw the only place on any of the liveries that the slogan is portrayed). The barcode is located just underneath this decal. On the back end of this hull there is a blue harimau logo with turquoise underlying shadow. The right side has a HUGE 1/3 of the harimau logo in yellow covering most of this side. In the middle of this yellow piece there is a quite big blue harimau logo. And the rear end has the same small blue logo with turquoise shadow as the left side.
    (I just noticed, this livery has the Xios logo underneath the cockpit, and so does the feisars #1 livery. Wtf? I can understand the eg-x having this, and I can also see kinda why e-unity would show their respect to the former Swedish (or was it Finnish) team. But how come the Asian hippie conglomerate have this beats me totally. )
    The tail section is totally symmetrical and is composed of the lower wing panel which is in one piece all the way. This is all covered in two shades of yellow lain down in diagonal stripe pattern, on the side of each wing there is a white and blue logo of an ag-craft (probably feisar.) with a blue ship on a white circle with blue trim ( quite cool logo imo.). the top wings have orange as the base colour, with blue wingtips and a yellow harimau logo. The right airbrake has a Japanese writing running along the whole thing (I cant read Japanese and would love it if anyone could interpret it, probably a major sponsor as this is one of the few logos that stay on every livery.)
    All in all this livery look truly unique but I have mixed feelings about it, some days I love it and some days I don’t. But it has some really nice touches like the huge harimau logo on the nose, so I give it a
    This one is made out of three shades of yellow and black entirely. The nose tip is all black, and so are the panels surrounding the cockpit. The “harimau” on the nose along with the logo is still on the same place on the front, this time in black on solid yellow, however now the shadowing is REALLY diffuse, with just a tiny bit lighter yellow to shadow it on a yellow background. This delicate ghost painting can also be seen on the left side of the cockpit where it lies big transparent harimau logo, in yellow on yellow background. Just beautiful and something you have no chance in hell spotting without photo mode, and btw it is also invisible if looked at from an angle. The left side harimau logo is also semi transparent but being painted solid yellow on a 2-yellow shades stripe pattern far more easier to spot. On top of this logo is a mirrored version of the Japanese signs on the airbrake. The two shade stripe pattern is located on the two triangular panels on the back of the front hull and on the right big right side panel beside the cockpit. The tail is one solid yellow, with the blue ag-craft on white circle logo inflated to fill the entire lower wing section.
    What do I think of this livery? I am fully aware that the majority of people out there prefer this livery, that said my summary is this. At first it was my favorite for this ship, the use of only black and various shades of yellow is a nice touch to make subtle details while still maintaining a clean and consistent appearance, but after I while I got tired of it. The lack of contrast in colour when raced in a chase cam, made it become too much of a sore spot in the end. I still like it very much for all its subtle ingenious touches but I never race with this myself anymore.
    This ship has blue as its base colour on the top of the ship, and orange as base colour at the bottom. On the front hull these are divided by a thin white line. Running from the tip of the nose to where the hull starts to narrow. To start it of whit the nose again it has a big harimau logo (in the original colour scheme of two shades of pink and one orange) covering half the nose. Three replicates of this logo is found spiraling backwards on the right side decreasing in size the further back they get ( last aprox 1/4 the size of the first one on the nose.) the entire right side after the main top airintake is striped in two shades of blue with harimau in black written on it. The left side however has only the black “harimau” written under the cockpit, and an orange “ignition” decal next to the nosetip logo. The panels surrounding the cockpit is still black, like the #2 livery.
    The rear section has some features from the #2 livery. The lower section is one solid colour, but now orange to match the scheme with blue on top and orange at the bottom. The logo on the lower wings is identical but imo it stands out better on orange compared to white. The top wings are solid blue, but this time they are not symmetrical. The right side has a big harimau logo covering the entire top, while the right side only has a ΒΌ size one, they both are aligned with the orange part facing center though.
    My judgment on this livery. It is without doubt one of my favorites in the entire game, the contrasts, the way the colours play against each other is just phenomenal. In the colour table blue and orange are complete opposites and this make it stand out on any race grid, and in a good way. The way the orange and yellow logo look on this ship is like a fireworks display, and the unsymmetrical layout just adds to the playful overall look. So what the #2 livery lacked in contrast, this is completely opposite when raced in chase cam, and is my favorite view on the tracks (the harimau got a great ass ) compared to the standard livery it is a little more extreme because of the use of opposite colours, and stronger colours to, the tone is much paler in the standard livery.

Well that’s it. My precious harimau synthezised.
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 28th April 2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: prrof reding is a bitch, and the "a" button is faulty :P

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

Default how to live the Auricom way...

read inside article for all do`s and dont`s

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsagmannen View Post
    i dont think triakis ****ed them over so to speak. and as you said, without the composite alloy shield, i would probably rate is a 5 in shield
    heeheh it was to put some humor touch, altought i think triakis are indeed MOFO anyway! haahahaha

First impressions on the harimau is, wow this is a really sexy craft. Second thoughts hmmm, looks like a fish.
    ok, after i have read this phrase i'm officialy convinced that you share your mind with mine

The top wings also house the coolest looking airbrakes in the game (imo).
    so they are, i was so curious to know what are the coolest game airbrakes for you!
    Last edited by darkfaerytales; 28th April 2009 at 10:04 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

thnx for the feedback, and for some reason my little analysis are getting longer each time (mirage-harimau = 1000 digits more, and 3-4000 over the 10000 limit in one post lol.)
    i might be mental but at least im not alone lol

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

i'm pretty shocked these are indeed the first things that came in my mind when first i've seen harimau
    how in the earth it is possible! ahahahah

p.s. your analysis aren't " so little " heheheehe

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

i dont think its that uncommon to see the harimau as a sexy fish, come on... just look at it, it fits perfectly lol. in fact ironically it looks more like fish than the pirahna

edit: @DD777: it seems we talked by each other when discussing vectoring nozzles, yes i agree what you thouth i ws talking about indeed is this. and somehow this slipped my attention when writing the damned thing. but to my defence i was talking about something completely different
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 28th April 2009 at 10:45 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

urghh this is the same thing i think as well!!! more fish than piranha

i begin to fear you seriuosly

ahahah just kiddin'

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    JaceMc

Maybe you should add some images to the start of every new livery. It would help a lot if you could compare the image to your analysis.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

not a badi idea, but im fundamentally lazy. taking the photos itself would be fairly easy, since its only going to be for rough reference. but i have no clue to how it is best to transfer and post them. well i might consider it if i get a little crash course. just pm me if you have some basic prosedures for it.
    @darkfaerytales, ever heard of a book called 1984? lol jk

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

@ Motor: On closer inspection Harimau does have booster engines, they're just really, really thin. Harimau is the F-117 of the AG race circuit

Secondly, I believe the writing is supposed to say "Wipeout". Not sure tho, maybe Aka-sho, or Hisho would know.

Also did anyone else notice the FX-400 logo on the front of Harimau's #1, and #2 liveries? It's right at the tip, very small, but there.
    Last edited by Avenger2197; 29th April 2009 at 04:01 AM. Reason: attempt to answer a question

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Maybe Harimau should be renamed to Ikan, such is its resemblance to a fish.
    Harimau is indonesian for tiger, ikan is indonesian for fish

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

@avenger, i didnt quite catch if you agreed or disagreed with my conclusion, but as long as you are scoping the ships details close up its all good.
    @insertcoin: ooh nice info i didnt know harimau was indonesian for tiger. well it suits the backstory quite well at least. considering it is an organisation cloning tigers to save their population. and racing as a publicity stunt so to speak.
    and Ikan hs a nice ring to it to.
    but during work today i couldnt get "halibut" out of my head, which is a larger large flat fish.( i work selling fish and meat.)
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 29th April 2009 at 08:21 PM.

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

It was a disagreement with what you said about the boosters and the engine being in the same rectangle. They are the same in size to the intakes beside the cockpit, but following the lines of the large top wings.

Keep up the good work, man!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

i was talking about the exhaust of the main engine beeing encased inside the outer rectangle where the boost exhaust is. as far as i could tell from studying the ship i couldnt find any other exhausts. i went back to looking at it today to see if i missed something, and i cant say that i could find any other boost exhausts. if i werent clear enough to avoid a possible misunderstanding i apologize. but i wasnt refering to anything other than the exhaust. but thanks for the feedback, im not at all afraid of beeing proved wrong. as a matter of fact new input to get to the bottom of the facts is enjoyable.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

sry for the long delay, had little time to do this because of school, work e.t.c. but finally the auricom is done
    AURICOM:
    The auricom is a ship in the dual hull category, and have greatest structural resemblance with the triakis and the goteki-45, the overall architecture and layout is almost identical to that of the triakis. They share the same way of linking the exterior hulls to the center hull and their boost engines are remarkably alike in execution (more of that later) . But design wise they are miles apart. Where most of the dual hull crafts are angular or bulky the auricom is quite sleek and elegant with its two narrow hulls. The design of the auricom is also angular based in design. But the edges are all rounded off, thus making it look sleek compared to most other craft. The auricom looks quite modern compared to most of the other crafts, only the mirage, and possibly the assegai looks as advanced in design as this. All in all it looks both streamlined and sturdy. It shares a design feature with the harimau as well, most of the auricom armor panels have machined grooves and dents in them. On the center hull it also have some cool details like the two pipelines (could be power lines.) running parallel right behind the cockpit. These meet on the top with blue connector markings on the left and yellow on the right. from the center point they snake downwards to fill the outline of the black panel on the side, this is also fond towards the back of the hull. I also like the exposed circuitry panel on the middle of the center hull, it is slightly elevated of the rest of the hull, but not in a way that interrupts with the smooth lines of the ship, its ventilated in both the front and rear.

When it comes to the engines of the auricom, the first thing that strikes me is how identical the layout is to the triakis, and how much design that fits with the goteki.
    Talking about the boost engines, they have a few prominent feature shared with the goteki first, it’s the fact that these two ships both have exposed boost engines filling the entire volume of the external hulls, and also the cooling ribs found on the very front of the air-intake is shared by both. The engines first start out with a semi-concealed intake to the first set of cooling ribs, these lead to a rather large, odd, pale-beige bag ( I have no explanation for this bag whatsoever and its purpose bewilders me quite a lot) through a metal pipe. This bag then connects to a tight row of large black boxes through a large oval pipe. The first box is the largest in volume and is shaped in a trapezoid fashion to fit the hull design going from a large in the front and narrowing down in the middle on each side of the box there is a solid metal rail. This seems to be there as a part of locking the craft in place during docking and transport. On the topside there is a small but wide ventilation slit in the armor leading from this box. The second box is the smallest in most ways, being narrower and thinner than any of the other, it is rather long though. As for distinguishing features it doesn’t have a lot except from a set of interlocking metal bars on the transition to the first box and a rather large rounded rectangular box on the middle. The third box is just a black box, being slightly larger in volume due to the change of shape of the hull, making it both wider and taller than the previous one. it is connected to the fourth box through a massive metal hinge, locking them together. So as far as I could tell this is the point where the front end of the hull could be taken apart for easier access during maintenance. The fourth box seems to be a vital part of the engine with 5 horizontal slits ventilating towards the outside and a large vertical grate towards the inside it also has two forward mounted lights, one on each side of the massive hinge. Behind this box is what seems to be the main burner unit, it is composed of a long, slim black box covered in cooling ribs, the traditional blue glow emits from the box from one slit on each side running the entire length of this box. Behind this is a final box detailed by four vertical fins towards the outside and a small white cable towards the back end. This leads to the last section of the boost engines, the exhaust. The boost exhaust on the auricom is second to nothing else, they consist of one massive 2 by 1 meter outlet on each boost engine, and when active they emit the largest solitary boost stream in the game. The main engine is rather more concealed and doesn’t have many or big airintakes, the most obvious is the one on the tip of the center hull, it’s a quite small narrow duct and could just as well be the pilots air supply. The biggest ones are found on the top of the hull directly behind the antennae on top of the cockpit. These are composed of a big grate running the entire width of the center hull and slightly down the side of it. It is divided into to separate sections and share a great resemblance to the main engine air intake of the mirage. The main exhaust itself is fairly above average in size and has the same vent-rib surface as the piranha has. All in all, I would say that the auricom is slightly off when portraying engine capacity compared to its stats, I would put this ship based on looks alone as a 80 speed 90 boost ship. this is because of the huge boost engines and slightly above average main engine.

When it comes to handling it is a rather ambiguous ship. It shares the tight and strong architecture as the triakis, but this ship looks like it could handle better, mostly due to the three rather large wings mounted on the belly of the center hull. And one armor panel on each external hull extended to form a wing as well as functioning as weapon guards. it also has larger airbrakes, these are hinged to 3rds towards the back of them, and compared to the body size the are around medium sized so it looks a little better than the stats. But when also considering weight, it looks almost as dense as the triakis, and the armor (although not covering the belly) is quite thick, so all in all it looks more like a midway between 70 and 60 handling ship, maybe even more towards 70. (That said, it definitely looks like a better handling ship compared to the triakis and piranha.).
    The shields on the auricom looks like it would be described as slightly similar to the goteki 45 as they are both ships with sturdy upper armor and non existent lower armor. The coverage is however far better on the transition between the center hull and the two external hulls. Also the general architecture itself looks as rocksolid as the triakis. And although the engines are exposed the look quite durable as few vulnerable parts are found outside of coverage, either from the sturdy boxes composing the engine or the armor. Therefore I would put this ship slightly higher than the goteki, and I think it deserves the 90 shield based on its appearance.

The arsenal of the auricom dwarves everything else in the game, this is the list going from far right to far left: mounted on the outside of the external hull on a bracket connected in between the second last and the last booster engine module is two missile pods mounted on a long box. The outer missile functions as cannon when active. This bracket also holds weapons on the inside between the center hull and the external hull. This part has an energy weapon and a gatling cannon. On the other inside bracket on the left however there is two pods of ten rockets. And the outside bracket on the left is identical as the one on the right with two missiles where the outside functions as cannons.
    So my summary of the auricom in total, is that it looks a bit off compared to the stats and it draws elements in design from many other ag- crafts, but the way all those pieces are put together makes the auricom look unique and by no means mistakable as any other. It is one of my favorite designs because of its smooth lines an sleek hulls.
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 31st May 2009 at 10:00 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Great thread and all, but do try to build your posts into paragraphs. That last post looks like a brick! Can't possibly read it all without having tears coming out of my eyes.

And about those headlights on the Goteki - we need night races.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

auricom pt. II
    livery :
    to start I want to say that the auricom is the ONLY ship in the game where all decals are in the same location, size and execution on all liveries. Only thing different is colour on the base, and some decals to be visible on the different new basecolour.
    This livery is a pretty even dark-blue and white scheme with red details. The white is found on the centerhull on the entire front armorplate, and on top of the rest of the panels towards the main exhaust. The white panels on the top of the hull, has a red pinstriping which makes a nice transition to the all blue lower part of the hull, there is also a tiny “auricom star” located between the two antennae . The lower part is solid blue, including the center one of the three belly-wings, the two other wings are white. The left wing also has two red stars on the side facing the track. The right one has a really transparent ghost image of the auricom logo
    The external hulls are 50-50 white and dark-blue, on the top and inside they are white, with the exception of the inside of the thickest portion of the left hull which is white and light grey in a diagonal zebra pattern, and on the outside they are blue. Because of the shape of the hull, the white and blue meet together on the top of the back end on each hull and the far backside is blue even on the top. It is also a transitin with the blue and whit towards the front making it 50% blue on the top at the very start of the hull, this transition starts right where the slogan starts The decals on the left hull starts with the slogan “THE AURICOM WAY” written in blue on the top of the broadest part of the hull. The center line in the two “A”s are red just like the auricom logo ( I didn’t notice earlier but the xios log is also found right underneath WAY in the slogan odd?). This slogan is under lined by a red stripe running to the end of this panel. On the next panel you have a small blue white and red “auricom star” in front of two red stripes running along the transition of the white and blue base colour. And finally on the end of the hull is a huge “auricom star on the transition between the blue and the white. On the right side, instead of the slogan you have a huge “AURICOM” written along the top of the front panel. And the only other significant change is on the top of the back panel, where it features a huge blue and red “A” outlined in white against the blue background. This a nice standard livery because of its clean look and strong contrasts. All the major logos fit nicely on their designated spots. But its not the one I usually use with the auricom.
    This has a totally different palette, now the primairy colour is red and almost all details are done with white and light grey. On the center hull the white is in the same place but the dark blue is replaced by red, and the red is replaced by light grey. The external hulls are solid red, and the slogan and team name is changed to white,. The pinstripe underneath the slogan and logo is now light grey. The small “auricom star” on the top of the next panel is still blue white and red, but the huge star on the left side is now grey instead of blue making it white-grey-white-red. The two stripes following the small stars are now made by one grey on the outside and one white on the inside instead of two red lines The huge “A” on the right is now red with a white outline, with the center line blue with grey outline. This is my favourite livery of this ship, its very clean and has great contrast in red and white. I also likes the fact that this is the Canadian skin. its by far my favourite for this ship both in total appearance and when raced in chase cam.
    This livery has a white as a base colour but some sections of blue to. On the center hull the nose end is all white, the second panel is all blue with the stripe still in place but white this time. The “auricom-star” between the antennae is now back to blue white and red ( although the blue is feint on the blue background.). the third panel is white on the bottom and blue on the to except from a white line running along the center of the panel around 1/3 of the width making the rest of the blue stand out as two separate lines. These blue lines still has the thinner white line encased inside. The last section around the exhaust is all white. Unlike the other two liveries this one has all the wings on the belly in the same colour, now they are all white. On the left external hull it has the slogan written in blue towards the front with the centerlines of the “A” red, just like the standard livery. The line underneath the slogan is also red, like it was in the first one. On the next panel the colours have changed their position compared to the standard livery, making the inside blue and the outside white, also the two red stripes from the standard is made white. The huge “auricom star” is now two layers of thin white outline one matte and one shiny, followed by red outline of the star, white, and then the small all red center star.
    On the right side it strts out with “AUrICOM” written in red with a red line following underneath. And the huge “A” on the back end now all red, but outlined in white against a white background.
    This livery is my least favourite of this ship, and I can understand why it’s the one I se fewest times online. The #1 and #2 have one thing in common, and that is a rather equal colour balance, this one is mostly white except from a large bulk of blue in the center, and the way the arges logos are made red makes them stick out in a rather un-pleasing way, the way the two major text entries on the external hulls, and the two massive logos are balanced is far better on the other two.
    That’s pretty much it, my views on the auricom.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

@heavy metal, hmm yes paragraphs. i write these in word, then copy paste. it looks better in the original format. so yes ok ill redo the posts a little to avoid bricklike apperance. and nightraces, hell yeah. in fact all kind of enviromental race conditions would be awesome, blizzard on sebenco, hard rain on chenghou... bring it on
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 31st May 2009 at 10:08 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

Default are you frequently flying high? order your AG-parachute now.

yes in the next segment i would turn my binoculars around to the infamous icaras, and also reveal the full web of ironies surrounding this team

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

getting to close to the sun, burn the wings and crash down?

then Sol2 is not a track for icaras