Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: shipdesign analysis

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

GOTEKI-45:
    first impressions from looking at the goteki is “OMG look at those engines!!” it is basically two huge powerplants strapped to a cockpit and draped with some armour frosting, it looks menacing. Its also the only double hulled ship that looks like it is made from three independent pieces and then bolted together. It has a certain scrapyard look to it that reminds me a bit of the pod-racers. Goteki just simply look like the least professional team of them all. That aside certainly looks fast despite its incredibly boxshaped body.
    its long and angular and the external hulls are quite broad and flat, but the overall ship is surprisingly narrow. In fact despite its huge bulk its one of the narrower ships in the game. Body consists of two trapezoid shaped long dual-hulls fitted to a trapezoid cockpit. So the cross section looks pretty consistent. But the design is far from following just one direction, in fact the cockpit is shaped In a really, curvy egg shape in profile. This helps it look a bit more streamlined, and stop it from being the ultimate brick ( although it is close.).
    The two external hulls are slanted slightly downward towards the outside of the ship so that the slim wedge between them is even narrower. But because of the narrow gap between the hulls the cockpit sticks out quite high and look a bit corny. Luckily the external hulls are sticking down extra much in that section and make the high cockpit less noticeable.
    Although it looks like it welded together on a scrapyard it looks far from flimsy, on the contrary it makes up for exposed engines with cladding the entire top part of the main bodywork in thick armorplating. And the chassis looks almost as solid as it did on the triakis.
    when it comes to handling, the first note is. This ship has NO wings whatsoever, but it salvages some cornering ability due to some of the largest airbrakes in the game. Although beeing huge the airbrakes are fitted perfectly on the top panels on each external hull and fit in with the gotekis image of “make it huge or dont make it at all” nicely. So in design versus statistics the handling look ok.
    Now on to the main portion of the ship, the external boost engines, they are huge. The gotekis external hulls are the biggest in the game, but still there is no empty space on them the entire length from tip to rear is filled with the boost engines. The main engine isn`t small either but it does`nt look to effective considering the fact that it receives very little air, the only intake is a small one underneath the cockpit, and a tiny one in the nose. There is also a small airintake right under the window but thats probably to suply air to the pilot. On the booster engines on the other hand, the entire front end with its cooling ribs in the front of the intake, is a massive duct to supply air. And to top it off on top of the back end of the external hulls there is a ram air intake directly to the engine itself.
    Exhaust vents consists of two sections, the wedge shaped main exhaust on the center hull. And the four huge ovals on the two external hulls. So my conclusion on appearance compared to speed stats it looks pretty consistent, it has huge boosters and a medium sized main thruster, but because of its heavy bulk and poor aerodynamics, its impossible for this craft to reach a high top speed.
    The weapons on this craft is hidden on each side of the front airintake on the external hulls. The outer ones function as cannons but all four is of the same vertical rectangular shaped gun
    Livery:
    is a white and yellow design with pink detailing. It has a rather industrial look and has “GOTEKI 45” written in bigg letters diagonally across the front end, it features a big “GOTEKI 45” along with the “G” logo diagonally on top of the left ram-air intake, and a huge “G” logo on the right airbrake. All in all the design works like a glove with the design of this craft, and complements its boxy body with the diagonal lines and industrial feel. Its my favorite for this ship although I hated it when I first started out racing the goteki
    focus in colour shifted to white and pink. Its now white on the top, and pink on the bottom with yellow pinstriping. It now features logos and slogans in a way that goes naturally with the lines of the ship. It now says “future proof” on the left body, and “GOTEKI 45” in the right one perfectly fitted to the elevated boxes the huge goteki logos at the back are now gone and replaced with equal goteki “G”s and “GOTEKI 45” written on the ram air and airbrakes. Although this design follows the lines of the ship perfectly I prefer the standard skin, I think the white and pink focus isn`t suiting to this ship very well. still not bad though.
    this livery still has all the logos as the #2 livery in the same place and size, but now the main colour is a dirty, stale yellow and all writing is in black, it certanly looks more hardcore now than any other ship in the game. This design is truly suiting for the goteki, It would look horrible on any other ship but this livery brings out the essence of the industrial gritty goteki. I like it very much.

This about sums up my views on the goteki.

(sidenote: hmmm looks like these are getting longer each time, mabye I should do the first ones over again and publish it in a book )
    btw: the radioactive symbol is on the airintake right after the ribs in the front end of the external hull
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 19th April 2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: typo fiesta

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

@darkfaerytale omg O.o you really have an eye for detail, mabye you should write something like this yourself? lol
    but for your input:
    -i have been noticing the different on board displays and cockpit layout, the grade of detail is stupefying on all ships, SL really did an amazing masterpiece with this game
    -yes some ships have headlights, i dunno either lol
    - actually the ag-s changes colour on the belly to, but only on the weaponguard. last skin makes it red.
    edit: i missed you point alltogether, yes ive seen that on the pirahna, and triakis, but not in the harimau
    -feisar is the european collaboration team, and the icaras is british so i would guess that they have some sort of r&d together, that might explain it, but im a little rusty with all background info, nice job noticing the subte similarities though.
    -and the warning signs, labels etc are awesome, but just to damn many to recite lol. but i have been seeing them and i love SL for putting them on and in that number.
    -the airducts on the triakis is probably airducts, the triakis have its guns mounted close to the cockpit. speaking of guns have you seen the armament on the auricom holy **** funny sidenote, when the ag-s fires its cannon, it glitches. because it only have one gatling cannon to the right side and none to the left, it generates a flash where the left cannon should be. aøso the icaras doesent fire from its weapons at all but form the air intakes on its wings
    ive taking photos of every ship firing cannon to see where its active weapons are btw xD

and always nice to see there are more people around to marvel at the crafts close up, i knew i wasnt alone
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 19th April 2009 at 02:37 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

Default how will the linked technology of EG-R and Xios work out?

find out next november in the thrilling blockbuster, or check this site tomorrow.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

heeheh the LCD on mirage is the best! sincerelly one strange thing is that they are on the 23 century and still uses monitors...anyway cool ones...

for underside tone changes under piranha and harimau i mean the raw chassis exposed metals part, the conponent of mechanics etcera, actually that part of ag-sys you refering still part of the " up " livery, like in the case of triakis for another ex. the underpart of its BIG exhaust still coloured camo like all the " up " of the ship...
    ( on a side note, have U noticed how DAMNED BLACK is the underside of 3rd skin harimau! )

yes i guess icaras was ever been such small and niche wise racing team, since its born, this was ever been very clear as premised in the bios, more like a whim of a wealthy magnate than a " serious " team run by a big corporate, so it's not unlikely that feisar pass some of its products/construction parts as a BIG supplier - i like how such things instill a sense of realism...

i have noticed with a bit of delusion how the cannon shots do not coincide to the actual position of the gutling cannon on some ( actually few fortunately ) of the ships, but i can understand it is for obvious reasons.
    i've past an entire afternoon observing for each ship where the cannon shot fires and taking photoshots,
    this is a list:
    -FEISAR right, it shots from where it is supposed to be, the guns on the wings
    -QUIREX right , from the top of the hulls
    -PIRANHA same as feisar
    -AG-SYS one right one not
    -TRIAKIS right
    -GOTEKI right place
    -EG-X right place...but i think it have 2 in excess as it seems, the 2, one each side of the hull, aren't supposed to be gatling guns then...
    -ASSEGAI it fires from the sides " airducts like " holes one each side
    -MIRAGE right, it fires from right places
    -HARIMAU quite not, it fires from where are positioned the rockets/ missiles
    -AURICOM same as harimau
    -ICARAS it fires from within the front grating on the wings

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsagmannen View Post
    GOTEKI-45:
    btw: the radioactive symbol is on the airintake right after the ribs in the front end of the external hull
    YOU WIN!!!!

p.s.
    PLEASE CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN ME THE BAR-CODES ???!!
    Last edited by darkfaerytales; 19th April 2009 at 02:49 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

Cool haha

i wondered about the barcodes myself. and i cant beliveve someone else here cared enough to check the firing of every ship ( i have the pictures to prove it lol). and your list is nicely done

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

About bar-codes: I would think these barcodes are direct result of "ship delivery" for the teams. Due to the fact that they are NOT civic-minded in any sense. They'll never be driven to the next track, but delivered by the team for the next event.

As to their placement, well that could be just integration into the designs of the skins. Since the teams of Wipeout seem to be bursting at the seams with style.

Also a bit off-topic(sorry): Do you guys think that the pit areas for each team could be their containers for delivery? Lifted out after each race, and re-inserted into the next course in time for the next race? I don't really see it as being impossible, but I wouldn't know either way.

@Motorsagmannen: Brilliantly done with the design analysis. Look forward to the rest!
    Last edited by Avenger2197; 19th April 2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: added a bit

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

both your theory on the barcodes, and the possibility of the pit doors to also be the doors of the freight containers of the ships, seems plausible. never thought of the transportation to that extent, but it makes perfect sense that they wont travel by their own propultion.

and thanks for the kind words

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

You know I was re-reading through and you guys mentioned headlights on ships. TBH, I don't think they are. If I'm not mistaken it was stated somewhere that EG-X uses some sort of friction-diffuser on the front of it's ship. I would think it would be the same with all ships these "lights" were visible. Especially since they "move contents" the same way that the AG generators do.(i.e. change in light patterns)

Would definitely make sense since all ships that have them visible, would greatly benefit for their movement around the track. And, since the AG race commission hates night racing it seems.
    Last edited by Avenger2197; 19th April 2009 at 04:09 AM. Reason: grammer, clarity

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Cerbis

As for the racing league management hating night races... isn't the FX350 racing league fast enough without racing in decreased-visibility conditions?

Also, here's some more half-assed thinking about the barcodes...
    What if they're used by the track control computers for faster craft identification?
    Not all the craft have as big and visible barcodes as others though, do they?
    Perhaps... it's just Studio Liverpool liking the visuals of the barcode.
    I just know that I love the barcode down the nose of the Piranha!

Aaaalso... isn't it possible that, if the Icaras team is the whim of a multi-billionaire, that FEISAR provides staff,
    R&D and components in exchange for (much needed?) funding? I'm not too well-versed with the backstory, but if it's anything like current EU projects?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Goteki's are headlights, no doubt.

They're not shiny like on Harimau or EG-X

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

yes reading this i was thinking the same thing dd777.
    some ships have what is unmistakeably headlights, it could be to tackle an unforeseen downpour, or blizzard during a race, or maybe its for endurance racing, like le`mans 24H race. its not unthinkable that they would still have endurance races like that in the future.
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 19th April 2009 at 01:49 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

getting back to topic i will have my views on the EG-R/Xios collaboration coming up sometime today/night so stay tuned

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

EG-X
    there is a few things that come to mind foremost when looking at the eg-x, one being the strictly angular design, shaped in a tall, thin body. And second being that big sexy main engine ( I will come back to how big it really is later).
    In every aspect the eg-x looks fast, it has a really long sweeping nose, big airintakes, long fins along the whole body, and short wings. This thing is built to move.
    The nose of the eg-x is different from all the other nose I've looked at so far, it is completely filled with what seems to be a second AG-generator pointing forwards, as others have pointed out to me it could very well be part of an impact dampener clearly visible in the nose. But anyway, it doesn't seem to have any intakes in the nose at all, unlike most other crafts. But the eg-x is not made perfectly for this purpose, although it looks fast the rear section looks bulky and not very aerodynamic, mainly because of the thickness in the bodywork surrounding the upper four main airintakes. This make an otherwise streamlined craft look sluggish, so I don't like that one bit. Otherwise the design on the eg-x is superb and it has been one of my aesthetic favorites, all along playing WO-HD
    the engine, it is vast and goes all the way from the firewall off the cockpit, out of the body and ends up in the massive thruster (this means that over a third of the ships length is filled with its main engine), only downside to it seems to be its tendency to overheat, why am I saying this? Simply because, the entire underside of the engine is exposed, there is a cooling rib in a “MMMM” pattern all around the nozzle of the main thruster,and half the top part of the engine is exposed to, and then of course its all the airintakes. it has six really big and, one smaller for the main engine alone. the most obvious be the intakes on each side behind the cockpit, and the big four angled ones on top of the wings (these seem to be there for cooling primarily, because of the venting ribs on top, and leads straight through to a triangular duct on the other side), but the biggest by far is on the belly two huge trapezoid intake on each side of the engine leading directly to the thruster and a small one running he entire length of the engine through the middle of what seems to be fuel injectors. When it comes to the booster engines they are quite small, there is two on each side of the main thruster, these have their own tiny airintakes on top of the main side intake, they really look un-impressing, but with that main engine who cares.
    Now for my conclusion on the handling versus the looks, it has wing although they are quite small, and the airbrakes are quite small to, so it seems to fit its handling stats quite well. As for speed, it has one of the most impressive main engines in the game and certainly its a fast craft, but there is simply no way of it competing with the ginormous boosters of the goteki to match it in acceleration, but because of the significantly larger main engine thats no problem. Why its top speed still is so low I would blame the non aerodynamic shaped rear section, it has the grunt but doesn't cut sharply enough through the air.
    The eg-x`s weapons consists of one gatling cannon on each wingtip. But there is also what looks like energy weapons running alongside of the nose on each side, semi hidden in long ducts
    Livery:
    main colour is yellow, but it has burgundy on all the fins and wings. Also burgundy covering the panels over the engine going all the way up to the cockpit. Its a nice touch with the yellow pinstriping leading to the side airintake on each side and on the wingtips. Also keeping the airbrakes yellow makes the stand out nicely, this skin is very well adjusted for following the lines of the ship. The big “EG-X” logo looks good placed between the cockpit and main side airintake. The big “DNA” thread is opaque and semi hidden under the “EG-X” logo. The blue waving bear is awesome nice touch with the Xios logo on the front of the windscreen to, lets you know they care about heritage(it looks sweet for a standard livery, definitely in the top5 of those)
    in a few ways its identical to the #1 liver but there are some big adjustments. What is the same is the wing section is identical. but now most of the top of the ship is cladded with a mosaic of big black sections, th pinstriping on the fins is now moved up to the side of the ship right below the “linked technology” logo, and the “DNA” thread now stands out in yellow carved out of the big black tiles. The “EG-X” logo is move to the side airintake, which is now half burgundy coloured to match the transition on the wing section better. on the top section the airintakes of the booster engines are far more visible now that the black is covering everything on top of that panel except the groove of the intake, section from the cockpit and back to the engine is now yellow.
    Overall it looks cool, just like the other two skins I like the yellow- burgundy- black colourscheme. Only bad thing about this livery is that the bodywork around the side airintakes are still yellow, this makes them really stand out badly in this livery.
    holy **** its the motherload. This livery is completely different from the two others, it still have yellow as a basis, but the burgundy is gone, and it is now almost completely covered in dark blue ( I thought it was black at first but its blue). All the intakes on the body is now covered in dark blue, and it has diagonal dark blue- yellow zebra stripes on the front fins wings side of main airintake and behind the cockpit. The panels covering the engine is striped to. Fins are now yellow instead of burgundy, and along with the all dark blue nose the stand out nicely. Airbrakes are now dark blue and blend in with the wings totally except from the yellow “EG-X” logo, it now features more colourfull logos than the other liveries including moving the tiny Xios logo to the nose and making it much bigger (and the waving bear is back to )
    this is one of my favorite liveries in the game, this is because it looks totally unique, it has the ability to mask all design defects with the ship along with enhancing all the cool parts of it, this is one of the few liveries to deliver all that.
    That being said all the liveries of the eg-x looks really nice and I could have recaed them all if it hadnt been for the #3 being so dominatingly awesome.

This sums up my views of the EG-X

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

EG-X has a thrust vectoring nozzle on the engine, not a cooling radiator IMHO.

Just some info, you can get more on google.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

hmm. could be, but its not at the end of the nozzle but crowning around it, therefore it looks more like a cooling rib than a vectoring nozzle imo. but i like the way you think and thanks for the input

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Goteki's are headlights, no doubt.

They're not shiny like on Harimau or EG-X
    dark777 you have beat me in time i still for posting clear photoshots
    your shot is more than explanatory, i'm doubtfull about the " headlights " on eg-x and harimau, but goteki and piranha have actual headlight, no doubt

to say what i think about some posts here:
    yes i think is undoubtful likely that ships are transported from event to event, would be too unforgivable stupid let the ship move around by its own propulsion to reach next events, these are racing machines! i think would be too riskful and compromising, however remenber in the old W3O site every team had its own big transport jet, boeing like...and otherwise see F1 cars today...

bar codes are uber cool thank you SL to ALL those godly TOUCHES you give to us, we hope they will never stop to astonish us, and wait for more
    ...and yes bar codes aren't present upon every ship livery...

the multi billionare in question was Burnston Burns,now it's lead by his own son ( or grandson ) i think , Connor Burns ,interesting how just in these days it was open another thread about bios/backstory clarifications

later tonight i see if i will post some weapons/ craft shots

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

Default are you acheaving your destiny?

if not, see how in the next segment.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Cerbis

Thanks, mate!

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

that eject picture is a stroke of genius! how did you even find that?!