Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: shipdesign analysis

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

Default shipdesign analysis

ive been thinking of this for a little while, and want to share my viewpoints on the ships in WO-HD estetically (or however its spelled). i will fokus on overall shipdesign and liverydesign foremost.

FEISAR:
    overall it is a sleek and streamlined craft, and compared to the bodysize it has quite large wings and airbrakes, which support its immage of THE handling machine of wipeout. it is a mixture in design between angular and curvy, the front end is totally angular up to after the cockpit and after the cockpit its round and curvy. although its front end is so drastically different compared to the back, the design works and looks pleasing to the eye.the feisar has many air-intakes the most prominent ones being the huge semi cirkles in the middle of the side. the entire front of the nose is an intake, and it has a medium sized intake each side of the nosetip to. along the entire ridge of the nose up until the cabin is another wide intake( its easiest to spot on the #3 livery). and there is a intake directly to the engine sticking up behind the cabin.
    the exhaust looks like you would expect from the feisar, not overwhelming and impressive, but rather a modest rectangular followed by two small circular exhausts, it does not look like the most powerfull of engines but then again its not supposed to, considering the feisars low speed. the weapons are like most other singlehull ships exposed on the belly near the back in a symetrical layout of a cannon on each wingtip and four identical rocket brackes in the middle each holding four rockets.possible consealed weapons in the nose too, but all you see is two oval pipes sticking out slightly
    livery:
    i never been a fan of the feisars standard livery, its combination of dark blue, turqoise, yellow and white is unfortunate. and i dont think the colours follow the lines of the ship in any pleasing way either.the nose is a solid darkblue smear with a white pinstripe at the bottom. tthe sidepanel looks messy with the turquoise-yellow-grey transition because it doesent follow the lines of the ship well and makes the otherwise cool airintake stick out like a sore thumb. i also think the efisar logos on the wings look a little to dominating.
    it gets pluspoints for the awesome big picture of the cat-mascot
    its the blue and white one, now that the yellow and turquoise is nearly gone it looks much better than the standard one. basically it is the same colourscheme, but the way the colours are balanced works way better than in the standard livery.the overall flow of lines is better to. the nose looks way better. the placements of the different logos, and also the scaling in size suit the ship. unlike the other two liveries this one has black panels surrounding the cockpit instead of light-grey.
    this livery is both in colourscheme and overall layout completely different from the others.
    the dark blue which were the primairy colour of the first two is completely gone and the new main colour is yellow with details in white and turquoise. this is by far my favourite feisar livery, the overall apperance, the placement of the logos, it all comes together like a glove on this one. moving the cat-mascot to right before the main side air intake looks perfect and also the big turquoise section in the nose with the huge "FEISAR" looks amazing. this livery is also the only one following up on the wings with a nice turqouise curving line embraced by a white line on each side.

this is taking way longer than excpected so i will work my way up in twelve posts
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 17th April 2009 at 11:41 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

let me say what i think about your thread

I LOVE IT!

kudos, i wait for the others ship analysis

now this is my analysis of your analysis: i'm in accord with you

on a side note have you noticed that the first livery observed by the side follow the lines of the feisar logo? practically its a big feisar logo print on the side silhouette of the ship model

this is the same for the ag-sys first livery but by the top in that case

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

QIREX-RD:
    the qirex is another ship mixing angular design with flowing curves. the dualbodys are quite thick and has a triangular shape to them. this ship is called "the brick" for a reason and that is clearly visible from its solid and dense overall design. it has quite big airbrakes on the top of each dualhull and these are implemented in a way that looks natural to the design as mentioned it has both angular and curving lines but the execution isnt that appealing in the qirex. its dual bodypieces is quite angular the whole way... except for an odd curve that suddenly start halfway and all the way towards the rear where it suddenly goes up into a straight line towards the dualbody engines. this is imo a pointless and ugly way to do it and breaks up the design in a tasteless fashion, a pure angular qirex would still look like a brick but it might have looked cool. this ship hardly have any air-intakes the cockpit has a small one right below the nosetip and thats about it, except for the cooling ducts on the top of each dualhull (possibly to cool of weapons?). also i dont know what those sections without panels resemble but the look cool and unique
    the exhausts of the qirex is composed of only small outlets but my god it has many of them, 7 in totall. two small vertical ovals on top of an octagonal horizontal main exhaust in the middle body. and two small circular in each dualhull functionin as boost engines only. this gives an impression of a craft with high top speed, but the amount of engines is misleading as it is overall rather slow.
    this craft has all weapons hidden in the nosetip of each dualhull. at the outside there is a rocketbracket followed by a cannon and closest to the inside is a rectangular sort of gun (posibly leachbeam,plasma?)
    Livery:
    standard livery is a two-colour, dark purple and white skin. it is mainly purple all over and has white trim along all the edges on the body. it has also rather large decals and the most prominent beeing the qirex logo on the back end of each hull which stands out nicely, but could be just a little bit smaller to fit inside the panel like on livery#3. also the mirrored "Q" on the cockpit stands out.
    i like this livery rather much it is a nice execution and the layout is clean, besides it underlines the hardcore badass image of the russian brick. its one of my favourite standard skins by far.
    second skin adds a thitd colour to the scheme, magenta. and this scheme resembles the dark purple ship robed in a white-magenta-white halo. now its also symetrical on each side having "qirex-rd" written inside of the halo. the huge qirex logo on the back has shrunk down and is now also three coloured, personally i liked the larger logo of the standard skin. overall... i dont like it. the halo graphics dont match with the ships lines imo.
    this skin is a whole new aproach to the layout than the other two. still three colours but main colour is offwhite. the purple and magenta is now featured as pinstripes following in the race direction of the ship down the ship. again the "qirex-rd" is mirrored and this time its embeded in a sleak manner in the pinstripes. the really big qirex logo is once again back to the back end of the hulls, and this time it looks awesome in purple and magenta, perfectly fitted to match the panel. i also like the small qirex logos on each airbrake, its a nice touch only the #3 skin has. its a close race with the standard livery, but this one is my favourite for this russian craft ( might be because i seem to be the only one who like it )

this sums up my views of the qirex.
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 18th April 2009 at 03:47 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

whats this, i went to far into micro detail to look at the big picture on th feisar? O.0 omg
    i didnt notice that the ship is one big logo thnx for the info *kicking myself*, still i dont like the standard liverydesign though

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

PIRANHA:
    ahh the pirahna, first impression i got of this craft is that it really looked front heavy but that is countered by the mounting of the AG-generator off center and towards the front.
    this one of the ships that feature an all curvy line design. this gives it a really sleak and streamlined look and ive grown to like the look of it. its long flowing lines and huge nose makes it look like an offshore racing boat, which is a nice indication that this thing is built for speed (it even have parts of the engine bursting out). it has quite big wings, but that is not compared to the massive bulk of the main hull, and also it has small airbrakes, so according to the stats it looks really well designed
    it doesent have many airducts and the biggest ones are well hidden on the belly of the beast. the most obvious one is on the top of the nose, its a narrow duct that runs all the way to the cockpit. second one is in the front and it covers a quite big portion of the underside of the nosetip. the third one is a huge duct flowing all the way from the AG-generator directly into the engine. it also has cooling ribs running alongside the nose on both sides. i must also note the awesome ribs on the side of the engine, emiting a blue glow.
    exhaust on the piranha is in a league of its own. almost in full body height rectangular vertical shaped it got one hell of a main exhaust. and further states that the piranha is built for speed. its boost engines is hardly noticable when not in use and consists of three tiny engines mounted in a black box underneath each wing (when in use only two jetstreams visible from each side though.)
    weaponbays? what weaponbays? oh yeah theres these small pipes on the end of each wingtip xD . (sidenote: after i had this pointed out to me i realized, if this came in a flesh coloured skin it would be obscene, you can probably guess why lol.)
    livery:
    this is my least favourite standard livery, and except from silver skin its my least favourite in the game.
    its yellow with red decor, it follows the lines of the ship quite well but i am afraid its just to dull for a sharp teethed fish like this. awesome detail though is the four tiny piranha logos underneath the window, those resemble AG-crafts devoured by this ship and is a really cool detail also found in the #2 livery.
    main focus shifted from yellow to red. and this time the whole ship is made to look like a piranha when seen directly from the front ( probably to scare the **** out of pilots seeing it in the rearwiev mirror. after all it is made to get a bad start then catch up and soar past.) this is an awesome idea that would only work with the piranha team and i love it. also the tailfins are made to look this way, so if seen at the right angle it looks like three piranhas charging at you teeth first. this livery looks good appart from the fact that if you drive it in chase cam the piranha logos on the wings look... i dunno kinda off.
    this one has yet again shifted the colour focus, this time primary colour is white whith an yellow belly (hmm yellow bellied piranha lol) with a red zig-zag line in between. the only piranha logo is this time on the right wing, and the "with added BITE" written on the other.
    at first i didnt care to much for this livery and i usually raced with #2, but as time went by i couldnt take the logos on the wings of the #2 anymore and switched to this one.
    now i love this livery more every time i race it. its by far my favourite for the piranha now
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 18th April 2009 at 03:48 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

heeheh if quirex is the " brick " the goteki what it is ? " UBER-BRICK "

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsagmannen View Post
    O.0 omg
    i didnt notice that the ship is one big logo thnx for the info
    actually there are many, the " halo " you refering describing the 2nd livery of quirex is actually the big logo from the top

another one is the 1st livery of icaras from a strange perspective, another is the right side of 1st mirage livery, the second livery of piranha spot the logo clearly printed from the front...
    Last edited by darkfaerytales; 18th April 2009 at 04:19 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Qirex is no longer a brick. The handling has changed since the old Wipeouts. And Goteki turns better, so it's even less than a brick (brick = square shaped and bad handling).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

its still the brick in my eyes but ok i can see your points.
    @darkfaerytales: yes i did actually try to see the qirex logo on the #2 livery, but just couldnt.( this was acctually before i read your feisar post btw) and the piranha im pretty sure i mentioned that the front end looks like a piranha logo, but i might have been a bit unclear right there i guess.the mirage one ive seen as well, but i had no chance in hell on the Icaras...hmmm better check it out and see if it makes sense
    but i like your UBER-Brick term i might use it shortly, although i know you where kidding

next up,its the Y-wing bomber, with X-wing-engines, i mean the AG-5Y5
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 18th April 2009 at 03:51 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

AG-5Y5TEMS:
    well what can i say of the ag-s? its of an almost totally angular design, except from the small hemispherical intakes on each side below the cockpit( and a big oval intake in the front), the weapon-guard on the belly and the rounding of at the back end of the nose section.
    the first thing that popped into my head the first time i looked at this was "hmmm, a long nosed Y-wing with a X-wing set of engines strange." so to put it softly its not hard to see where they got there inspiration. if you re-edited the ag-s into one of the episode IV-VI starwars movies few would frown upon it or even notice. that said, i am not crazy for this ships design, i love starwars and to have a h`omage to those movies in a game not related is cool. but it also leaves me with the impression that they didnt work too hard on the design of this ship. it got really clean lines for an angular designed ship and looks fairly aerodynamic. it`s also a really low craft compared to the how broad it is, and combined with a low senter of gravity this gives an impression of the ag-s, as a craft of great stability. i also love the feature of the bridge between the nose and the tail, makes it stand out on its on among the other singlehull ships ( do not mention the harimau and say it also have a bridge, that one is completely different). i also like th weapon-guard its a nice touch that stands out. a detail i dont like though, is the triangular holes with the rotating fans on the backside of the craft, it look out of place and i think the break up the otherwise clean lines of the tail-section.
    compare to its handling stats it has rather small airbrakes and also feature quite small wings, so it isn`t looking agile and manouverable as it feels.
    the exhaust on the ag-s, is as described, nearly identical to those of the X-wing fighter, but that is only for its boost engines, the main engine is mounted directly in the middle of these and is a horizontal medium sized rectangle. ( it seems to be a general rule of thumb, big main engine= good top speed. and big boost engines=good boost,) so this craft has actually bigger and better boost engines than main engine, which is complementary to its stats.
    the weapons on the ag-s is mounted on the belly in the back part of the nose section, it consists of a large missile, a gatling cannon and a large pipe which has three small pipes inside it (could be the ag-s`s version of rockets),
    all in all it looks sleak and stable, but kinda generic.
    Livery:
    primary colour is red with a white huge ag-s logo draped over it from the top. it also have "AG-SYS" written in large bold letters down the nose-ridge just like the #2 livery has. i general the nose section looks excellent and is complementing the ship, but unfortunately the tail-section just does`nt cut it for me. overall it looks quite good, and is one of the better standard liveries.
    this is a whole new aproach, and the colours are switched from red and white, to white with light blue decals. the nose looks quite good and follows the lines nicely and the transition between nose and tail look much more fluent now that the bridge is coloured blue and following the lines of the decals on the tail. also a cool feature is that this design makes the top view od the ag-s look even more like a rocket than before. this is a nice livery, and because the #1 and #3 are so similar in general design, it is nice to have at least one that looks completely different.
    this liver y has shifted back to the red and white colourscheme of the #1 livery. but now its white with red decals. the nosetip is completely red and on the ridge between the red-section and the cockpit it has written "FAST FRIENDS" with the ag-s logo on top, this is different from the other two liveries which hace "AG-SYS" written there.
    the ag-s logos on this craft is more dominating than on the other two, and on this craft it looks good, both the slanted logo, mirrored on each side of the nose. and the logo on each back wing looks amazing, only grief is that the triangular fan-holes are disrupting.
    of all the ships, only the ag-s has three liveries that i use on an almost equal basis, they all look good, but in different ways. if i have to go with just one it would probably be the #1.
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 18th April 2009 at 04:11 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

coming up.
    its the winner of many design awards such as: "best camo pattern on AG craft", "most likely-craft-to-be-hurled-into-a-store-window-during-a-riot" and last but not least "fastest military barrack"

but does it have three times the power?
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 20th April 2009 at 04:15 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

one great nice touch about piranha design, and liveries ,you have forgot, maybe you do not have noticed, take a look on the base of the cockpit, where the glass are next to the metal, you can spot a set of detailed carves on the glass, customized for each one of the liveries, the first one is simple a set of two horizontal carves, the second is made this way ^^^^^^^^,
    on the third one you can see them made like a lightning shape.
    each one takes up the decals of the respective livery

those touches are pure 100 % GENIUS by SL , KUDOS to the designers !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

Default nice attention for detail

you sir is awesmoe, i never seen that before thnx, this realy shows that SL really dont **** around when making their designs. also have you ever taken a good look at weapons in the game? anthony pointed this out to me and i took some photos. there are handling instructions on the bomb,mines and rockets OMG!!!!
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 18th April 2009 at 06:40 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

yes i have! it's astonishing, i don't remenber what is write on the rockets , but was something cool, i see if i can take a couple of good shots, i have one of the mines already, i will post it

on a side note have you ever noticed the animation of the bomb, to be more specificaly the bomb countdown?! i'ts awesome, resembles a rubik cube but spherical , i will rename it " the rubik sphere "

ALL HAIL TO STUDIO LIVERPOOL!!!!

PSN ID
    GreenPhazon

coming up.
    its the winner of many design awards such as: "best camo pattern on AG craft", "most likely-craft-to-be-hurled-into-a-store-window-during-a-riot" and last but not least "fastest military barrack"
    I think at least 2/3 of those is Triakis.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

the triakis won them all. and its coming up sometime today.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Cerbis

Motorsagmannen, you said you took pictures of the weapons? Would it be possible for you to share them somehow? I'd very much like to see this, myself!

Also, awesome thread, man. Great breakdown of the design of the craft.
    Just don't forget about the teeth on the bottom of the Triakis now, yea?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

TRIAKIS:
    the triakis is yet another all angular designed craft. It is a dual-hull ship and the first main aspects that separates the triakis from other crafts in WO-HD is that its a dual-hull ship but it still has a long nose in the middle section, so it could almost be called a triple bodied ship. And also the architecture between the center and the two body-hulls is made far denser than on any other dual-hull (except from the zone craft, but I will get back to that on in the 13th segment of this) . Despite having long and sleek dual-hulls, the way they are built solid instead of hollow like most of the other of this type means that it still look rugged. And the overall bodythickness is quite consistent all over. Covering every surface of the body is a thick riveted armourplating, even covering the engine there is a diamond shaped armourpiece surrounding the exhaust in all directions even underneath. The chassis underneath the armour looks like its made from quite solid steel beams( especially the massive “V”shaped beam connecting all three hulls.) and although it looks rather sleek it also looks extremely heavy.
    It actually has quite an array of airintakes but these are implemented quite discretely. First its one rather big one on the tip of each dual-hull, these without doubt fuel the boost-engines in the far end of their respective hull. On the center body there is three intakes, one small on top of the nose quite easily visible (mainly beacause of the three metal coloured spikes sticking out past it, these spikes are also located on the next airintake). One huge underneath the broadest part of the nose covering 80% of the surface in the width, and one more, behind that sticking out slightly more leading directly into the engine ( it has a slight blue glow emitting from the inside.). It also has plenty of coolingribs to, the most prominent being the big one right underneath the cockpit, it seems to be connected with the big airduct underneath the nose and might work as an intercooler for the engine. These cooling ribs are also visible on each dual-hull, located right after the intakes. So this strengthens my intercooler hypothesis.
    Another quite distinctive detail on this craft is the flashing blue and red lights mounted on the backside of the wide part of the nose, and right above the engine, many ships have these but not in quite an annoying way like the triakis.
    When it comes to make a judgement regarding the triakis`s handling ability I can sum up a couple of things, its a huge and massive ship but the airbrakes are tiny and also it has small or no wings.
    In the exhaust department you could definitely say that the triakis have a huge main exhaust, its big and hexagonal, mounted in th very middle of the craft. It also have quite large rectangular boost engines, mounted far to the back on each dual-hull.
    Its weapons consist of one gatling cannon concealed in each bridge-section between the main hull and the outside-hulls, located safe behind the massive “V” beam.
    (P.S the triakis have no AG-generator underneath it, the same applies to the assegai, the mirage and the auricom to, odd.)
    Livery:
    green camouflage with beige details (woodland)
    left hull tip have the writing “TRIAKIS” right tip has the slogan “THREE TIMES MORE POWER”
    black, white and gray camouflage (urban)
    “TRIAKIS” is moved to the back side of the left hull, right side is the same
    beige, dark brown, and red`ish brown (desert)
    same logos as #1
    I like the #2 one best nuff said, its all camo`s for pete`s sake
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 19th April 2009 at 01:48 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

Default is it future proof?

you will find out in the next segment.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Hooray. That's the one I'm waiting for

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

this thread come better and better at every step

mate, not that i want to steal your work , that is very excellent, and be a know-it-all nipticking but i have some points i have noticed maybe can help you:
    this is what i've gather on mounths of observing

-some ship actually have headlights, in some way like cars have, i do not know if the fuction is the same however, you can easily spot them on piranha, goteki, eg-x, harimau

-you have completely omited to describe the on-board instrumentation and monitors, i think it is a quite important aspect, to describe even what it is into the cockpit since it is the first wipeout where you can see this WELL and DETAILED, and if one noticed it SL have done an excellent work in this as well, every ship have its own monitor and driving diagnostics with light and animation

-the little but relevant script ( i think UBER COOL ) here and there on the ships hulls like in the piranha near exhaust " danger hot exhaust " " danger intake " , on the left side of triakis 1st livery " optical giga sensor.." ," heavy duty alloy " on it and on assegai as well, and so on...

-just to know how many of you know there is a radioactivity simbol on the goteki ship but i will not say where it is hide, the first that will spot it win a prize heheehe

-describing the " anti-gravity generator and what kind it is, circular rotary, or squared
    TRIAKIS:
    (P.S the triakis have no AG-generator underneath it, the same applies to the assegai and th mirage to, odd.)
    some not have it exposed, maybe internal?

-
    TRIAKIS:
    It actually has quite an array of airintakes but these are implemented quite discretely. First its one rather big one on the tip of each dual-hull, these without doubt fuel the boost-engines in the far end of their respective hull.
    i think these big " airducts " are weapons bay actually, every ship should have the same weapons mounted when you observed triakis first thing you noticed is that it haven't any exposed ( as for some others ship ) a part the two gutling guns,this, plus the black& yellow strips on the tips of the hulls just near the holes bring me to the conclusion that " things " come out from there instead of enter

-the " materials " textures, as sure you have noticed every ship have different array of textures underneat " all that is printed over " like livery colours, scripts, sponsors and weathering( UBERCOOL ), this textures still to indicate the kind of material in which the ship's built i think, as an exemple the assegai " honeycomb texture " on a side note this kind of textures very own of assegai is present on mirage too but very very less prominent and you have to look very vey deep

-piranha and harimau are the 2 only ship , from what i have observed, in which the underside/ belly of the ship chage in colour/ tone ( metal tone ) depending by the livery

-feisar and icaras share some construciotn parts/ instruments like on-board main monitor, AG generator, a coulple of " boost "/ support exhaust...i think i have no need to explain why, right?

- the barcodes, sincerely i like the bar-codes on most of the ships liveries BUT SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN THEM TO ME?

i know i'm really maniacal
    Last edited by darkfaerytales; 19th April 2009 at 01:10 AM.