Thread: shipdesign analysis

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

GOTEKI-45:
    first impressions from looking at the goteki is “OMG look at those engines!!” it is basically two huge powerplants strapped to a cockpit and draped with some armour frosting, it looks menacing. Its also the only double hulled ship that looks like it is made from three independent pieces and then bolted together. It has a certain scrapyard look to it that reminds me a bit of the pod-racers. Goteki just simply look like the least professional team of them all. That aside certainly looks fast despite its incredibly boxshaped body.
    its long and angular and the external hulls are quite broad and flat, but the overall ship is surprisingly narrow. In fact despite its huge bulk its one of the narrower ships in the game. Body consists of two trapezoid shaped long dual-hulls fitted to a trapezoid cockpit. So the cross section looks pretty consistent. But the design is far from following just one direction, in fact the cockpit is shaped In a really, curvy egg shape in profile. This helps it look a bit more streamlined, and stop it from being the ultimate brick ( although it is close.).
    The two external hulls are slanted slightly downward towards the outside of the ship so that the slim wedge between them is even narrower. But because of the narrow gap between the hulls the cockpit sticks out quite high and look a bit corny. Luckily the external hulls are sticking down extra much in that section and make the high cockpit less noticeable.
    Although it looks like it welded together on a scrapyard it looks far from flimsy, on the contrary it makes up for exposed engines with cladding the entire top part of the main bodywork in thick armorplating. And the chassis looks almost as solid as it did on the triakis.
    when it comes to handling, the first note is. This ship has NO wings whatsoever, but it salvages some cornering ability due to some of the largest airbrakes in the game. Although beeing huge the airbrakes are fitted perfectly on the top panels on each external hull and fit in with the gotekis image of “make it huge or dont make it at all” nicely. So in design versus statistics the handling look ok.
    Now on to the main portion of the ship, the external boost engines, they are huge. The gotekis external hulls are the biggest in the game, but still there is no empty space on them the entire length from tip to rear is filled with the boost engines. The main engine isn`t small either but it does`nt look to effective considering the fact that it receives very little air, the only intake is a small one underneath the cockpit, and a tiny one in the nose. There is also a small airintake right under the window but thats probably to suply air to the pilot. On the booster engines on the other hand, the entire front end with its cooling ribs in the front of the intake, is a massive duct to supply air. And to top it off on top of the back end of the external hulls there is a ram air intake directly to the engine itself.
    Exhaust vents consists of two sections, the wedge shaped main exhaust on the center hull. And the four huge ovals on the two external hulls. So my conclusion on appearance compared to speed stats it looks pretty consistent, it has huge boosters and a medium sized main thruster, but because of its heavy bulk and poor aerodynamics, its impossible for this craft to reach a high top speed.
    The weapons on this craft is hidden on each side of the front airintake on the external hulls. The outer ones function as cannons but all four is of the same vertical rectangular shaped gun
    Livery:
    is a white and yellow design with pink detailing. It has a rather industrial look and has “GOTEKI 45” written in bigg letters diagonally across the front end, it features a big “GOTEKI 45” along with the “G” logo diagonally on top of the left ram-air intake, and a huge “G” logo on the right airbrake. All in all the design works like a glove with the design of this craft, and complements its boxy body with the diagonal lines and industrial feel. Its my favorite for this ship although I hated it when I first started out racing the goteki
    focus in colour shifted to white and pink. Its now white on the top, and pink on the bottom with yellow pinstriping. It now features logos and slogans in a way that goes naturally with the lines of the ship. It now says “future proof” on the left body, and “GOTEKI 45” in the right one perfectly fitted to the elevated boxes the huge goteki logos at the back are now gone and replaced with equal goteki “G”s and “GOTEKI 45” written on the ram air and airbrakes. Although this design follows the lines of the ship perfectly I prefer the standard skin, I think the white and pink focus isn`t suiting to this ship very well. still not bad though.
    this livery still has all the logos as the #2 livery in the same place and size, but now the main colour is a dirty, stale yellow and all writing is in black, it certanly looks more hardcore now than any other ship in the game. This design is truly suiting for the goteki, It would look horrible on any other ship but this livery brings out the essence of the industrial gritty goteki. I like it very much.

This about sums up my views on the goteki.

(sidenote: hmmm looks like these are getting longer each time, mabye I should do the first ones over again and publish it in a book )
    btw: the radioactive symbol is on the airintake right after the ribs in the front end of the external hull
    Last edited by Motorsagmannen; 19th April 2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: typo fiesta