Thread: The NeGcon

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    JuiceStickers

Default The NeGcon

I heard that the negcon controller for the playstation doesn't have 2, R and L buttons. Wouldn't that mean that the controller would be pointless for time trials since that means there is no acess to the hyperthrust?

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

Thumbs up

lol you know you can change the control layout in the options menu?
    anyway the way the neGcon is mapped out I think you only loose view change and maybe rear view(if that option is available) I'm not sure its been to long since I played with a DualShock/DualAnalog
    I think my Hyperthrust is mapped to the 'I' button & I'd guess the A or B button in the standard settings

I like the neGcon, but many stick to the D-Pad after trying it, I'd say its at least worth a go as if you do end up liking it you'll probably never want to race with anything else ever

-zershen

There is access to hyperthrust. In fact, the control layout is more convenient for Time Trial than for Single Race. The layout can be very thoroughly remapped.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

I have a black Negcon and actually prefer the regular controller for WO3. I like to assign L1 to "fire" and R1 to "hyperthrust", which you can't do with a Neggie unless you move the airbrakes somewhere else (which is unthinkable).

Lance, IIRC, it's not quite as thorough as it could be. I can't remember now, but it wouldn't let me do a certain layout I wanted to try -- maybe II and I for thrust and fire, B and A for hyperthrust and drop? I'd have to try plugging the Negcon in again and seeing.

In any case, I loved the Negcon in the original Wipeout -- it gave me a quantum-leap boost in my game -- but not in WO3 or Fusion.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    unless you move the airbrakes somewhere else (which is unthinkable).
    Sorry to lol cause i had the same feeling ( unthinkable) before meeting the famous Al Sartwell who can use his Negcon that way... I can tell you that is something to watch :O

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    ~snip~Lance, IIRC, it's not quite as thorough as it could be. I can't remember now, but it wouldn't let me do a certain layout I wanted to try -- maybe II and I for thrust and fire, B and A for hyperthrust and drop? I'd have to try plugging the Negcon in again and seeing.~snip~
    I was always able to change the assignments for everything on WO3, which is what Wolfkill is asking about. I don't at the moment recall what I did on WO1.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

'unthinkable'
    had to also LOL, the only reason I don't play WO1 is because I can't get the Air Breaks off L/R
    for 2097, W3O and 3SE(which I finally acquired last week yay! me) I have my Air Breaks on A & B as they aren't squishy analogue Buttons with L Accel/R Fire
    as for Fusion the neGcon didn't really work for me either so I gave it to a mate

And yes all the buttons on the neGcon are mapable in W3O though I had a few issues with the game freezing a bit or taking to long to respond when changing them around(it got really bad with the UltraRacer), maybe my disc is scratched I dunno, but no troubles thus far in 3SE

good day
    -zershen

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

Quote Originally Posted by zer0shen View Post
    I had a few issues with the game freezing a bit or taking to long to respond when changing them around
    I'm pretty sure that's a common issue

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    JuiceStickers

I completely forgot about controller configuration. Boy I feel like an idiot.

I have never heaed of lag with negcon config switches, nor experienced them. It screws up link mode though if you take gas off an analog button.