Thread: Hallelejah!! My pilot assist prayers have been answered!!

Smile Hallelejah!! My pilot assist prayers have been answered!!

The V1.30 update for WipEout HD will release on April 8, introducing a selection of new multiplayer features

Pilot Assist Allowed on/off.

there is a god!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

OMG is it true? have our prayers been heard by almighty SL?

Timezone
    GMT -5

At first (first couple of months) it drove me insane - but I *think* I've since gotten used to it / accustomed to dealing - but once this update comes out - we'll know for sure.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

I can't tell when other people are using it. I never use it myself.. I don't recall if I've even done the pilot assist trophy yet lol

Timezone
    GMT -5

Surefire way to see if they're using pilot assist - the ships zig-zag left to right insanely fast on the Anulpha Pass upper deck. That's pilot assist doing it's "thing".

Also - when you quake, or missile/rocket someone right next to the edge of the track, or on a corner - they just about never fall from the track. (unlike people without PA on - they almost always fall)

PSN ID
    silverfoxy

Surely its not a major problem anyway as people with pilot assist on can only go at 90% speed anyway ??

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    TaroBarkhan

Quote Originally Posted by IH8YOU View Post
    Surefire way to see if they're using pilot assist - the ships zig-zag left to right insanely fast on the Anulpha Pass upper deck. That's pilot assist doing it's "thing".
    I am doing this without pilot assist
    Well, I can't claim to be an excellent racer.

Anyways, this function is a very good thing. I can't stand racing with people who use PA. It feels like a cheap way of racing to me. I can understand that someone would like to use that in the beginning, but as soon as the skill get's higher, controlling your ship properly should be a part of the learning process.

PSN ID
    MR-RICO84

I really cant see what advantage PA would give you at phantom(Maybe any class) speed? Surley you would be miles of the pace after the first three corners on any track because of your racing line, never mind it being capped at 90% top speed!

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

It's not so much an advantage to the user but a hindrance to others. The constant zig-zagging and the fact that they can slam you into a wall with no ill-effects to them is a real bastard when you're stuck behind them. Many a time I've ended up screwing up a race through being stuck behind a PA user constantly ramming me into the wall or off the track.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Quote Originally Posted by TaroBarkhan View Post
    I am doing this without pilot assist
    LOL! Me too. Last night I was playing and there were three of us that hit the bridge at the same time and we banged around a bit and I started fishtailing back and forth and I thought "I bet they think I've got PA on." Of course I ended up jumping off way before the end trying to hit the weapons/boost pad on the lower level but still.......

PSN ID
    MR-RICO84

Oh I get it now! I was wondering why people used that as a tactic to race (sweeping from side to side of the track) as I always ended up overtaking them, seemed to be counter productive.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KomatosRecords

I'm in there with Taro and a couple others. I can't stand Pilot Assist, and I only used it to get that trophy. But, especially on the higher speed classes, using a DualShock3 or SixAxis controller trying to control Wipeout doesn't give me the same sense of control that the NegCon did on PS1 Wipeouts. So if you're racing against me online and see me fishtailing like crazy it's not because I have pilot assist on but because of my overcompensating steering using the D-pad or stick. Doesn't usually matter anyways in Rapier or Phantom, since I'm near the back on the pack, but on Venom/Flash I can actually win online races sometimes (took me quite a few online races over the last month, but I just recently got the 10 Online Wins trophy hehe).

One of the reasons I can't stand Pilot Assist being on when playing (especially at the higher speed classes where you'd be more likely to need it), whether in single player campaign mode or online, is that I don't tend to steer as much (and overcompensate like I do when PA's off) since I expect PA to keep me near the center of the track. It just feels unnatural. Now if Pilot Assist worked like AutoPilot did, without the bouncing left to right across the track, then it might be halfway decent and worthwhile, even with the 10% speed loss. As it is now, it's only of use to the very young or people who haven't played Wipeout or other racing type games in the past.
    Last edited by komatos; 8th April 2009 at 04:24 PM.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Yeah I've always felt strongly about PA online. Nothing worse than getting stuck between a bunch of PA users in a narrow section of the track.....

PA users -1, my shields - 0 = contender eliminated

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kingadrock311 View Post
    The V1.30 update for WipEout HD will release on April 8, introducing a selection of new multiplayer features

Pilot Assist Allowed on/off.

there is a god!
    Wonder if that god will grace us with a BR on/off feature too

Not that I'm gonna have HD in any near future, I'll probably be there for the next wo game like in 2 years or so ..

May be by then

*making a mental note(noting to do with music) to bump this topic in 2 years time if there's such an online feature in a future wo*

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

zargz, there IS a BR on/off feature in v1.30!!!

PSN ID
    Axellink

Hahahaha this update has been good TBH. It has expanded the gameplay of HD now. Just some niggly bugs to fix, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    zargz, there IS a BR on/off feature in v1.30!!!
    Wow! That's GREAT!! Too bad I don't have HD

I wonder how much a ps3 is in Thailand? May be now I'll make the effort to buy one ..
    I also got some more gigs now so my cash is going up a bit need 4 more hrs a week and I'll be ok. Anyway ..

Race the good old ps1 way! Hell Yeah!!

Good job SL, Good Job!!!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Boy I don't know. Everyone talks a big game about not using PA and I'm not talking about just here but just about everywhere WipeoutHD is discussed. Sure not seeing it online though. I've been online for over 2 hours and found that most of the races are PA ON. Not sure if people don't know that it can be turned off or not but from all the chest thumping I've seen over the last few months I figured there wouldn't be a PA race anywhere. And I'm not talking about just Venom. They're everywhere.

Bogus!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

It's amazing how quick you can empty a room once you turn pilot assist off.

Or how many racers,join a room,see assist is off and bolt out of the room real quick.