Thread: botched ranking online?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

Default botched ranking online?

just talking to yeldar about your "online rank"....some ppl are 22 plus already...people not from here and what not. not saying they arent good but how in only two days do they move up so fast....i know there are a lot of factors. i may be wrong so im not accusing but i think there could be some people possibly boosting for rank points kinda like doing an "eliminator" mode with their friends in races

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I'm already on rank 20 and I've haven't spent too much time online. I did spend the best part of yesterday racing but no more than I usually would. The people who are the higher ranks will have just been playing a lot, at least that seems to be the most likely case. For all we know they've been racing non stop since the patch launched. Even if you lose a race you get some points so everyone can get to a high rank with time.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Wotan is playing a lot for sure. The others, yes probably stat padders.
    But in a game like WipEout where the rank is just some icon or some text, it doesn't matter as much compared to games like Killzone 2.
    Don't worry, you will be rank 50 eventually, and you can beat the padders anyways so it doesn't really matter xD

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Damn. I'm a lowly stat padder.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

ya its just always bugged me how ppl have to exploit things just to have a status simple that they know dam well themselves they dont deserve. it actually just happened in Worms as well, im in 1st place globals for Pro scheme. and the 2nd and 3rd place guys were stat boosting each other to try and take my top spot, then i called them on it and they stopped as soon as i rolled them both online

PSN ID
    Wotan998

Yes i played a lot during the last two night (sleepless) . i think everybody can obtain rank 50 . It just necessary to have a lot of patience .
    So i'm not interested by this ranking . I still prefer TT and SL ,which are more revealing of the skills of each .

Edit: i'm curious of what happenned when everybody will have 50th rank
    Last edited by Wotan; 10th April 2009 at 05:39 PM.

PSN ID
    pirhapac

i completely agree with wotan..me too i played a lot last night.. all players can up rank playing a lot..not like tt or sl

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Has anybody some of the single race records have been badly corrupted just like Pulse. Check out the single race reverse track records. 15seconds on Moa Therma for a total time, WTF!

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

ya i noticed that, if you join a game to spectate depending on how long you watched you still get a global record, i was being placed way ahead of my capabilitys as a pilot like 1 minute 16 on some, didnt know that they were actually kept as records though. This needs sorting quick

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

About this leaderboard, I know it has about 0 actual meaning except showing who
    plays the most, but I'm very glad it exists as it incites people to play more,
    and it attracts new players as well, no doubt some of them will be top class
    very soon!

We want Wipeout HD to be as popular as possible, right?
    That's the only way to keep getting DLC and future Wipeout games.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I wish this ranking system would work in a different way, like in SF4 for example. You gain more points if you win against a higher ranked player, less points when you win against a lower ranked player. You lose just little points if you lose against a higher ranked player, but a lot of points if you lose against a lower ranked player.
    If done this way, the rank would really reflect a player's ability. The way it is now is really only there to attract new players...

I played a guy today who's rank was 21, never seen his name before. Then I lapped him, twice, on an 8 lap Sebenco phantom race (no guns, PA off). In short, the guy was a noob - but he had rank 21. Shows you it means nothing at all.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I have to admit I'm not a fan of Street Fighter IV's online points system. It does give an idea of how good someone is but can be a real pain if you're up against a really cheap fighter or something. It would be OK for WipEout if implemented properly. You can't be cheap in a race so it would fit in quite nicely, however I feel it might put some people off. I have to say I quite enjoyed not having any ranking at all, much like old PC games. Your skill was proven and not represented by a flashy badge.

Thumbs up

Great idea El - That is exactly what I was expecting it be like

I was intrigued as to how this online ranking was going to work, especially after looking at the leaderboards and seeing that I have an online rank per track. After looking at it today it looks like I have exactly the same rank for all tracks (apart from one), even though I have not played some of the reverse tracks online since the patch.

Also, I see there is a 'rank percentage' next to each pilot. I think there may be some point in the ranking if it looked at how you performed every time you played a specific track, but it doesnt look like its working.

That aside, I feel it has made everybody more hungry to do well in online multiplayer, which is making some racings very exciting I was so glad today when my level 8 Mirage kicked some Level 18/20 ass it was great

Cheers SL!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

The system El suggest would be the ELO system, used in Chess and some other games.
    If you check the double ladder competition here, it's using the exact same system.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Feisar31

Quote Originally Posted by Amorbis View Post
    I have to admit I'm not a fan of Street Fighter IV's online points system. It does give an idea of how good someone is but can be a real pain if you're up against a really cheap fighter or something. It would be OK for WipEout if implemented properly. You can't be cheap in a race so it would fit in quite nicely, however I feel it might put some people off. I have to say I quite enjoyed not having any ranking at all, much like old PC games. Your skill was proven and not represented by a flashy badge.
    I agree with Amorbis 100%. I'm glad the ranking system is the way it is, even if that means it's a little pointless.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I would also prefer a rating system that better showed the skill level of the player even though that might point out how bad I am

Some game sites use a system like this which I think work very well:

* You have a rating and a rating deviation (RD)
    * The RD increases with low activity and decreases with high activity (it's measure of the uncertainty of your rating)
    * When winning or losing a game your real rating gain or loss depend on the RD, so if your RD is high you gain or lose more at the end of a game.
    * And obviously you also gain more rating by winning against a high rated player than a low rated player, so your rating change depend both on your RD and the other players rating.

But I guess it's a problem to introduce a system where some players basically gets a "you suck" rating, so I doubt this will ever happen for wipeout.