Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: botched ranking online?

Thumbs up

Great idea El - That is exactly what I was expecting it be like

I was intrigued as to how this online ranking was going to work, especially after looking at the leaderboards and seeing that I have an online rank per track. After looking at it today it looks like I have exactly the same rank for all tracks (apart from one), even though I have not played some of the reverse tracks online since the patch.

Also, I see there is a 'rank percentage' next to each pilot. I think there may be some point in the ranking if it looked at how you performed every time you played a specific track, but it doesnt look like its working.

That aside, I feel it has made everybody more hungry to do well in online multiplayer, which is making some racings very exciting I was so glad today when my level 8 Mirage kicked some Level 18/20 ass it was great

Cheers SL!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

The system El suggest would be the ELO system, used in Chess and some other games.
    If you check the double ladder competition here, it's using the exact same system.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

I agree with El, I woud have preferred the rankng system to be more reflective of peoples abilities rather than just how long they've spent online. It hasn't inspired me to play anymore than usual as essentially your rank doesn't really mean much. Great for new players though

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

You know I also would like to point out there are those people who sign in under the same account twice.(different locations, maybe?) I noticed this the other night, kinda did a double take when I saw it.

Overall, the rank system doesn't make a whole lot of sense, good for new players sure, but needs a small revision to it's dynamics.

PSN ID
    JJohnEames

I was so happy when i heard about the rankings because i thought id finally get to see what sort of skill i had. Its very disappointing knowing that i only have a decent rank cause of the amount of races i've done. I was expecting a street fighter style ranking system aswell, i think it would work well in wipeout. Heres hoping they change it soon...

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Feisar31

Quote Originally Posted by Amorbis View Post
    I have to admit I'm not a fan of Street Fighter IV's online points system. It does give an idea of how good someone is but can be a real pain if you're up against a really cheap fighter or something. It would be OK for WipEout if implemented properly. You can't be cheap in a race so it would fit in quite nicely, however I feel it might put some people off. I have to say I quite enjoyed not having any ranking at all, much like old PC games. Your skill was proven and not represented by a flashy badge.
    I agree with Amorbis 100%. I'm glad the ranking system is the way it is, even if that means it's a little pointless.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I would also prefer a rating system that better showed the skill level of the player even though that might point out how bad I am

Some game sites use a system like this which I think work very well:

* You have a rating and a rating deviation (RD)
    * The RD increases with low activity and decreases with high activity (it's measure of the uncertainty of your rating)
    * When winning or losing a game your real rating gain or loss depend on the RD, so if your RD is high you gain or lose more at the end of a game.
    * And obviously you also gain more rating by winning against a high rated player than a low rated player, so your rating change depend both on your RD and the other players rating.

But I guess it's a problem to introduce a system where some players basically gets a "you suck" rating, so I doubt this will ever happen for wipeout.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

There seems to be no penalty for losing ... so anyone who plays enough will attain level 50.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    hn9354

I played Wipeout HD so far more than 348 hours and I play from now on.
    It was a honesty shock to see this thread...but I do not mind this "online rank" at all.
    I enjoyed a lot of races since 1.30 patches appeared. And I thank for having made a race together.
    pirahpac, I was glad to make a race with you.

Thank you.
    Last edited by hn9354; 13th April 2009 at 08:05 AM.

PSN ID
    Alejess

Do we know for certain that you can't lose points in this ranking system? It could be that we are already losing points in some races, but don't know it as the amount is so small. However, this amount would grow as our rank increases.

I was imagining something like the very top ranked players occupying ranks ranks 48-50, 'good' players 42-47, 'average' players 35-41 etc etc

If something like this is true, then I wouldn't expect us to notice it when we lose ranking points until people start hitting mid-late 30's ranking positions.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Losing ranks would only encourage stat padders or quiters who are afraid to lose their ranking. The quiters problem can be easily solved though. Then you'll get the people making new accounts to start on the middle rank again. Then you'll get people like me who are turned off online mode because they don't want to lose ranking *hides*
    Last edited by rdmx; 13th April 2009 at 02:30 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

If the rating went down by inactivity and quitting people would not stop to play to keep their rating as it would not be kept. A record of highest achieved rating for a player could be kept in addition so there would be a record of how good you once was. So the only possible way to keep the current rating and not loose it would be to play and win. And if creating a new account would mean you would loose all wipeout trophies and personal records I think that would keep most people from doing that. People who do not like ratings could be given the possibility to create unrated games.
    Last edited by Lance; 13th April 2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Redundant quotation removed. Please read the WipeoutZone guidelines in the announcements section.

PSN ID
    d4onps

Yes, I also find the ranking system to be a bit pointless if it's just based on how much one plays. I'm only hoping that it gets exponentially tougher to get the higher ranks. The new ranking feature made online play more of an incentive to play. Usually, I'm just after trying to beat TT and SL times. But I do agree with what has been said that it has brought alot of players online and it's been great fun racing with you all!

PSN ID
    chboing

i disconnected from a race yesterday.
    and this mornig, i just notice i had less progression in the 20 rank so you can loose some % ....

edit : happened to me again, was level 23, first race ps3 crashes, i reconnect and i'm level 22
    Last edited by chboing; 14th April 2009 at 01:28 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    designer_79

chboing picks up a point here , happened to me too just beginning building up the ranks. dropped from rank 3 to 1 just because of ongoing server disconnections. This is a little annoying cause you get punished for something which is not your fault ...I mean the server issues are somewhat annoying already, but that it makes you lose points because the game does take it as 'quitting' is not so funny