Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vote: If sl cannot fix the problems, do you still want the patch?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Well, I played for another 3 1/2 hours last night with an awesome group consisting of Stinkleroy, Amorbis, Soccermums, Feisar31, Ze1roio1oriLOL, KlockiLEGO...and Wellington86! There were a few others that popped in and out who I can't recall too...wait...caller77 was one of them. Anyway, after that long session, which was a blast and the most fun I've had playing WOHD in a while, I realized that the micro-freezes were far less frequent than they had been the night before. It still happened a few of times, but I'd go a bunch of races without it happening at all. BR's seemed a little better maybe, but still more difficult than normal. Still a lot more carnage out there due to the weaponry tweaks, but I think I'm starting to come to terms with it...not to say I'm thrilled about it, but whatever. Lag, of course, cropped up plenty of times, as did faulty weapon pads. I also played some offline last night for the first time since the patch. BR's have definitely not been affected offline and are just as easy to pull off as ever. In fact, I decided to give Zico another go, to test the BR's, and ended up beating my old time...still wasn't enough to beat Zico though...a damn 31.05...SO CLOSE! UGH! I did, however, mess around with Zone a bit too (I never play Zone...I played when I was forced to during the campaign and that's it), which paid off, as I got the Airbreaker trophy on my 2nd attempt and the Own The Zone trophy too! All I need for Transcendence is Zone Zeus & Beat Zico. In other words, I'll probably never get Transcendence...lol. Anyway, my point of this long and partially off-topic post is that I'm starting to warm up to the patch a bit now. I definitely vote YES.
    Last edited by LOUDandPROUD; 11th April 2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Only need 2 trophies for Transcendence now :)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post

I had a race on Vineta K reverse phantom and lead for the majority of it,not one weapon pad work for me until the last lap,I thought maybe the host had selected weapons off,they hadn't.
    Damnit! someone hacked Avalon concept or maybe it's SL who secretly try to 'reset' the rules of Avalon : 4 laps without weapons , last lap with .
    Seriously speaking i had this happening thursday at night like many of us but sooner or later this will be an ancient story.

I think the weapons are random now, how they should be.

An advantage should never be given to the person in behind or the front, that is cpu assist, or the computer making you win bedcause you are behind. If you want speed boosts, or better weapons when you are behind, you should pick up mario kart or hydro thunder, skill doesn't matter much in those games, where the person behind always catches up, same with fatal inertia, given all the best weapons when behind, wrecked the game.. Driving Skill should be 90% ofthe game, while 10% goes to the luck of the draw with random weapons and you skill with them. With that being said, I feel like I used to pick up more turbos before the patch, but that was possibly my poor driving that day.

I wouldn't mind one turbo pad always being turbo though, so there would at least be no speed advantage for anyone. That would mean no turbo pickups on the others though.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Been a while since I posted, I've been caught up in other games a bit. Although no matter what happens, I drift back to Wipeout consistently, year after year, time after time.

This patch does add a lot of options this community asked for back before and when the game released. Granted, it is not a perfect patch, but given the fact that it is SL, I have every confidence it will be tweaked and corrected soon.

I mostly just wanted to pop out of hiding and mention that with all the good things this patch does, specifically the BR and the PA stuff, the landslide of complaints bothers me a bit. SL could have just not supported the game, that is allowed you know. They are not required to add content to a game for free months after release. In fact, very few companies do this ever. So if it has a few bugs that you know will be worked out, why spend so much effort slamming the dev about it? All the negative will is only going to help them make the decision to not support the game further.

Plus, Wipeout is not a huge franchise like it used to be. If the strongest fanbase starts blasting the devs everytime something doesn't work 100% the way you desired, at some point they might just decide it's not worth it anymore.

Anyways, my rant is over. I look forward to seeing you all online again now that I am back in the Wipeout mode. Hopefully I can still compete at a good level.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

We can wonder what are the devs intentions with those new patch's additions, Don't we ?
    As strongest fanbase, it's normal to say all our feelings on new releases, the good and the bad ones. Devs are not stupid, they can pick in all the reactions, the most interesting ideas and complaints.
    For my part i had a dream of a faster game (maybe a "zen" class playable on all modes). I remember when the first wipeout was released it was renowned as the fastest racer, same for the sequels, and i loved that. With the new patch disable br option, persistent mines, uber-rockets, the game is made to allow the slowest pilots to slow the fastest ones. To make the game more accessible (and it's a good thing for that), because being fast, in wipeout, requiers skills and training and of course time to play the game (the most important thing).
    Ok, for br, the majority here dislike them, but what about all the wipeout hd players of the world ? Maybe it can be part of the fun in that game (like in burnout, pure the quad game...) and, to avoid the recent bug in succeeding in performing br, wasn't that more simple to supress the boost reward and off course the energy loss, instead of changing the ship animation's code (i only ask, i'm more than a noob for game programing, lol).
    So i can understand some disappointements from members here, but i'm sure they'll still play the game and support the devs as i'll do off course, and i'm sure that the devs know that too In France we say "qui aime bien, chatie bien !" sorry i don't know how to translate

PSN ID
    Axellink

I'm with you Rubix42. Bit surprised with a few of the members over the top reaction. Remove the patch? Now lets stop being silly here. The bus that has arised can easily be ironed out, no problem. I'm sure SL will listen to the fans once again and fix these bugs and any other valid criticisms we have for the changes.

I'm expecting more changes to come to prepare the game for the DLC packs in the future. Looks like they are going to turn HD into a fully fledge game after all

To answer the original question, I think that if SL cannot fix the problems I wouldn`t want the patch. Nothing is worth putting up with freezes in online races. However, Asayyeah is right to say that these bugs should get fixed and we should not rush into criticism too hard.

I think the patch adds some great features that make Wipeout HD a much more complete online game. Many features of the patch have been asked for and prove that SL listen to fans, and that they want to develop the game. An example of this is the way you can press select to reject a lap in speed lap after you have used your turbo, and get your turbo back before the next lap, in that way avoiding having to do a whole useless lap before you can make another record attempt. I don`t remember anyone asking for that and it`s a cool feature.

Changes to gameplay, like weapon balancing, some people will like and some people won`t. They`re a seperate discussion I think.

My concern with the game is that bugs don`t seem to get fixed, so I understand the worries of some. I don`t understand the technicalities of it all so it is easy to complain, but straight away with this patch I got terrible freezes in an online race. Ever since launch the game has got progressively more broken, with freezes and broken accounts. I`m not a great supporter of barrel rolls, but I do think that if a game is going to have them then they should work all the time, but they don`t anymore. Just as with Pulse, glitched or cheated times and zone results start to appear on the records tables and nothing is done. That all worries me, because new or cool features are not worth much if the basic game gets broken and nobody looks after its basic health. The situation isn`t critical for me, but it`s not far off.

Overall though, I am very glad that SL are supporting the game and do want to thank them for keeping it alive. I just think that if possible the next updates need to be about maintenance and repair rather than adding features.

PSN ID
    CaptainWipeout

That's a great post Lunar and I agree whole heartedly with everything you've said.

I hope the devs read that.

lunar very nice post, you should mail this one to studio liverpool. Very eloquent