Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vote: If sl cannot fix the problems, do you still want the patch?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Individual weapon switches aren't ridiculous. It can easily be done in 1.40 once we get there if enough people ask for it.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Yes it is... The faster racers who are straight up jerks will definately turn off quakes and turbos to make sure they stay in the lead.

It wont happen IMO

But Time will tell...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Because a Missile, Rocket, Cannon or Plasma Bolt can't knock someone out of the lead either, just quakes and turbos.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Phantom. 2.5 seconds ahead. good luck hitting someone with a missile. maybe on a straight away?

Im just stating possibilities

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

sounds more like someone needs to tighten up their racing line to close in on those 2.5 seconds lol just giving you a hard time

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I don't see why weapons options would be ridiculous. There are plenty of games where it's a standard feature.

Also Vartazian, I think you are completely missing the point. In the chat box we all wind each other up and we all congratulate each other when we have a good close race. Generally we also admit if we got a lucky start. Sometimes people go over the top. Sometimes I'm one of them. But I've posted plenty of videos of this game. Some where I've won, many where I've lost. Some recently where I think I've made a genuine achievement. This is partly selfish in that I like receiving compliments when I've done something well. But also it should help other players improve, just as I've improved from watching other people's videos in exactly the same manner. I don't know a single person here who I would call a jerk. I think everyone enjoys a close race and I think everyone tries to help each other improve to that end.

PSN ID
    FatScarf

Am i the only person who is genuinely happy they added new server features that has improved the availability of games? fair enough the ranking system is for cod-aholics like myself who like a bit of recognition for the hours put into playing the game, but i like it. the badges are a nice touch too. Personally I'm thankful that SL has put effort into improving the functionality of the online service rather than leaving it looking so basic.

Lemmings = win patch

PSN ID
    stin_wz

My answer, would be yes, because, we cannot stay in the past and we must move forward and SL will fix it eventually.

TBH, we don`t know what we are facing.....

stevie

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

@ Saturn - Im not attacking you. I think you are a pheonominal racer, Substatially better then me I might add. I just find that you seem to be repeating (And correct me if I am wrong) that the mines are the things that are really bugging you in this Arguement. (aside from the BR's and lag which is pissing me off) You seem to be the most passionate about this, more then anybody else. Thats a good thing, you take your game seriously. I respect that.

I guess im just intollerant of people whining about games after Ive been on multiplayer for so long.

My apologies for this.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    JABBERJAW - Can we get an actual vote on this thread? I think that could be interesting.

Vartazian - Damn right I'm whining because I'm losing more. Equally I could say that the people who really like it only like it because they're winning more. So what if it evens the odds. Since when was this game all about luck? I'm losing because it's a lottery now and all the hours I put into practising and improving and becoming more skilled now mean absolutely squat. If you don't get a good start you're screwed. So essentially you may as well not even hit the accelerator if you start 8th. There's just no way I can compensate for the mines issue. None! I can't magically jump over them if they're all over the track.

It's a racing game with weapons. Weapons that should add an edge to the racing, not completely destroy the racing element. I hated mines and bombs to start because they take no skill at all. They never did. Neither does quake but at least it looks really cool. I think the only weapons should have been cannon, rockets, and plasma. They all take skill to aim while still maintaining a good racing line.

Barrel rolls are a bit harder in the offline game but still possible. In the online game they frequently are not. They just don't work half the time.

I don't want to insult people by suggesting any particular reason why they might not have noticed any handling change. But it's there. There's just no denying it. The whole feel of the game is different. It's slow and unresponsive.

If slightly different handling and a bit of glitching were the only difference/issue then sure, that wouldn't be worth whining about. The former is something that a person could become accustomed to fairly quickly. The latter is something that hopefully could be fixed fairly easily. But there is so much wrong with it now. So I'll whine all I want.

The main reason I'm whining so much? Well I've gotta do something with my time now that I can't be bothered to play the game any more.
    although I almost agree with your post, Saturn, i'll add my own feeling.
    First, about br i didn't notice big changes offline. Online, it really don't works sometimes and i suspect that the feeling of no successfull brs must be the same than with the br/disabled new feature. And believe me, mates : I KNOW how to barrel roll.
    I was already whining, before the patch, when i had bad luck during a race But even if it's far more frustrating now and although if i don't like the game's new face (people who wants shooters, buys shooters, those who wants racing games could be disappointed by the new wohd ) i prefer to see all of that as a new challenge to achieve. If my mate Wotan still win most of his races, that means it's possible
    Online has always be a lotery game, of course skills helps to compensate, and on the long range the best pilots have the most victories.
    You're a top pilot Saturn, your results on offline TT or SL proves that (and i consider as elite players those who are high ranked on those boards because you start with the same chances as anybody and you just have your lines and your reflexes to perform a good time, but it's my own feeling, ok ). So, don't give up mate ! As i already said to Stinkleroy "if it don't kills us, it'll makes us stronger !".
    PS : for me too, mate, mines will become my biggest fear online, LOL.
    Last edited by leungbok; 10th April 2009 at 08:15 AM.

PSN ID
    EPSILON (EP SILON on Facebook)

I think that it is a good patch (lot of option are very excellent) in the 1.30 update but the only default is the LAG.

The Option of No Barrel ROll is excellent, it is the origin of Wipeout games even if i love the races with BR, I love the race with NO BR, very old school gameplay and Intense races with this mode.

When the game charge the screen resume all the information, result of tournament, races etc..Good thing !

the Spectator mode is probably one of the cause of LAG I suppose but They make a new update in a short time...I hope !

One thing, have you seen yesterday the number of Host ??? Enormous !!

It's a good news for game, it's a good thing for us !

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

They shoudl fix the lag shortly they wont just let their game rot.. will they?

SL has a better reputation then that.

Speaking of Reputation... what is with all the hate towards me? Im getting de-repped like mad for mereley stating my opinion... I see that as highly unfair. Is it not okay to have an adult discussion about a game?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

I fully agree with Leungbok, Saturn... This is cool, I don't have to develop, you guys explained everything. Hope it's just some settings to change for SL, I mean in a BR-on race, BR should work lol. But my main complaint is for all the ISP (internet service providers) in the world : We need this f*****g optic fiber NOW. All the problems we're experiencing are for most part due to our s****y connections. The more your connection is good, the more you feel like an offline race. TRUE. How am I supposed to have a perfect experience racing my Australian or American or Japanese friends, for example, with my little ADSL??? It's still great fun anyway. But it will be even more awesome in a near future, with real broadband connections everywhere.
    Last edited by kanar; 10th April 2009 at 08:39 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Quote Originally Posted by EPSILON View Post
    One thing, have you seen yesterday the number of Host ??? Enormous !!
    This actually. Theres heaps of people online now. Probably the best thing about the patch is renewed interest.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by kanar View Post
    We need this f*****g optic fiber NOW
    +1 Indeed. These pushing physics we keep getting online is just because of that. The lag we get on Spectator is just because of that. Because of **** internet connections, prediction code has to be written. When we get Optic, this will be barely needed anymore. (Speed of light yeah)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    arch595esc

They will fix those problems with the next game on PS4 and add more bugs, so they'll have some more sells to get on the PS5.
    The options you guys are talking about are probably the easiest ever to implement, and should be in the game, but you'll see 'em on the PS6 console, so they will have some reason to say that they did some cool new featurings.
    Last edited by archman; 10th April 2009 at 08:46 AM.

PSN ID
    Alejess

I vote yes. The changes are in general very positive, and I think are intended to help maintain a healthy online playerbase for longer. Dwindling numbers of players online has always been my greatest fear, so hopefully the extra online options, new ranking system etc will help keep people motivated to play for no longer, and encourage new people to join. Don't underestimate the power of things such as a ranking system to appeal to people's competitive edge, and so help keep Online healthy.

As for the downsides: the bugs etc in the new patch are all (hopefully) fixable: we just have to be patient. Patches to fix patches are the norm, not the exception.

The big unknown for me are the changes to the gameplay (such as the changes to barrel rolls, or the allegation that bombs are dropping more frequently, or the changed handling to some ships): haven't really played enough to form a firm opinion about these.

PSN ID
    OLOuk

Thumbs down

100% agree with Saturn, Leungbok, Kanar... etc. There is no point write again what is ok in v1.30 and what's not.

I don't know how rest of you pilots but for me WipeOut from the beginning was all about CONTROL, PRECISION and FUN... nothing more and nothing less. This update change it.. now even if I win with pilots better then me I will know that wasn't fair fight... shame.

PSN ID
    silverfoxy

After a solid days play yesterday I feel more able to contemplate the positives and negatives about the latest patch.

The most annoying part for me is the glitches. Has anyone worked out if this is when people join the room after the race has started and start spectating. It would also be good to know if the glitches affect everyone at the same time of if they are just individual. We should organise something at some point to see if this is the case.

With regards to BRs. Personally, have not found there to be much difference. I'm able to do them on some really tricky places but yet I also missed one on the big drop on Chenghou. Not sure if it that was my poor piloting skills (or the green ) but it only happened once and that did used to happen before. Are the people that are struggling stick users or D-pad users ?? I'm a D-pad man.

I'm liking the badges at the end of races and I'm finding myself being much more aggressive than before to get a badge. Also liking the ranking system and progressing from rank to rank gives me that "one more race" syndrome.

To be honest, I'd virtually stopped playing online as there wasn't much more progression I could make. I'm not in the same league as most of the Phantom Zoners on here and I did well do get within 5 seconds of them. I'm not much better now but the new update has given me more motivation to try.

So all in all there are faults with the new update but I think they will be ironed out over time and if it gets more people playing the game (as I think we can all agree that there were a lot of players on yesterday) then surely that is progress ??

So I'd vote YES to keep the update

Timezone
    GMT -5

Once I got around the start-up freeze glitch, it was all good times. I enjoy the added incentive of ranks and badges. I've scarcely noticed the tweaks mentioned in this thread, and those I have noticed have only changed the gameplay for me, not made it worse or better.

I'm all for SL continuing to work on WOHD to keep it fresh and to try out new concepts for the next big WO release.