Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vote: If sl cannot fix the problems, do you still want the patch?

Default Vote: If sl cannot fix the problems, do you still want the patch?

I am not voting yet, since I haven't actually tried it, but either a yes or a no will do, and an explanation if you like. yes if you want the patch to stay, or no if you want it gone and the old way of playing was better.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    guggle

Leave it but fix the problems

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

A definate no patch. Appreciate the features but the gameplay has suffered, it is very unenjoyable for me now.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Yes.
    If you are mainly playing offline, it makes no real difference anyway.
    The problems are pretty much all multiplayer centric. Also if your PS3 is connected to the internet and you don't patch, your races get interrupted by nag screens.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Hmm, this is a tricky one...patch?...or no patch?...nice cup of tea?...or kick in the nuts?...I wonder which I'll choose...hmmmmm. I mean I sure do like tea, but if I don't get kicked in the nuts then how will I know what I'm missing out on?

Definitely no patch. If I wanted to play a lottery, I'd play the lottery.

Ruud van Stinklerooij - weapons off races when it's less busy and not too glitchy are still close and fun. So far that and offline games are the only thing I've found that are worthwhile.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Cerbis

Aside from the occasional stutters, I really like this patch. I feel it's a lot easier to keep a community going with it, as you can easily find and join your friends' games. I've not noticed any changed in handling, so far... and there's even a post on the boards from one of the Wipeout Creators that there should be no handling changes (and that he'd look into it, it seemed like?)

All in all I'd say this is a keeper, especially for the added customisation for multiplayer. Can't say I like the visual changes to Zone mode though.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Personally I think the people that are being highly critical of the patch are whining because they are losing more.

Yes the Lag is annoying.

Yes Barrel rolls are harder.

L.A.W.

Learn it

Apply it

Win it

Being humbled by coming in second or third wont hurt you. I know the lag and BR's have affected me just as much as everyone else.

I like the patch. Get rid of the lag though.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Patch is awesome, leave it alone. Quit moaning.

Part from the random lag stops.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

JABBERJAW - Can we get an actual vote on this thread? I think that could be interesting.

Vartazian - Damn right I'm whining because I'm losing more. Equally I could say that the people who really like it only like it because they're winning more. So what if it evens the odds. Since when was this game all about luck? I'm losing because it's a lottery now and all the hours I put into practising and improving and becoming more skilled now mean absolutely squat. If you don't get a good start you're screwed. So essentially you may as well not even hit the accelerator if you start 8th. There's just no way I can compensate for the mines issue. None! I can't magically jump over them if they're all over the track.

It's a racing game with weapons. Weapons that should add an edge to the racing, not completely destroy the racing element. I hated mines and bombs to start because they take no skill at all. They never did. Neither does quake but at least it looks really cool. I think the only weapons should have been cannon, rockets, and plasma. They all take skill to aim while still maintaining a good racing line.

Barrel rolls are a bit harder in the offline game but still possible. In the online game they frequently are not. They just don't work half the time.

I don't want to insult people by suggesting any particular reason why they might not have noticed any handling change. But it's there. There's just no denying it. The whole feel of the game is different. It's slow and unresponsive.

If slightly different handling and a bit of glitching were the only difference/issue then sure, that wouldn't be worth whining about. The former is something that a person could become accustomed to fairly quickly. The latter is something that hopefully could be fixed fairly easily. But there is so much wrong with it now. So I'll whine all I want.

The main reason I'm whining so much? Well I've gotta do something with my time now that I can't be bothered to play the game any more.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Look, the things they TRIED to do were good ideas... the online race options and stuff? great idea, but it was just implemented very poorly. That, coupled with the "discrete" handling tweaks that are blatantly obvious, is enough to turn me off... the visual and functional changes and options, but they need to be cleaned up, and the handling needs to return to normal. I liked responsive barrel rolls...

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. but the changes werent that drastic.

Yeah bombs drop more frequently (and are more Accurate) which is a plus. And they do drop more frequently. Is this your first online game saturn? Never had a patch ruin a game before? I have... it sucks so I feel your pain.

But Really Whining about it wont help. Just Adapt. The Lag jumps will go away. Get your timing down on the BR's (they seem to have changed it) and they did make Icaras a little bit Lighter so its turning is a bit off.

Just Adapt and you will be fine.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

No, the point is this is a very direct and dedicated group of people to a game that already has a niche market to begin with. This is the first place anyone at Studio Liverpool should be looking whenever they do ANYthing Wipeout-related.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Quote Originally Posted by Vartazian View Post
    Just Adapt and you will be fine.
    Yes this is pretty much my first online game. I've played others but not to the same level. I have to say I'm getting very annoyed with people that are telling me to adapt. I already feel I've adapted to the handling changes. That's not my big issue. My big issue is that the game is now a lottery to which I have no chance of adapting. You can't learn luck. The skill is gone, the challenge is gone. If there are mines strewn all over the track then I can do nothing to avoid them. Most of the time I don't even get a warning that they're there. As AG-Wolf says I also feel this has been implemented very poorly.

Maybe I have some problem with my connection that's making things worse. I seriously can't believe that some people aren't getting the same issues that for me are basically ruining the whole game.

Whining won't help make it better, but it will help me vent my frustration. I'll try and calm myself down again, a second time, as I realise I'm going a bit over the top with all the complaining posts now. I realise I can't make other people feel the differences that I feel. That's a big shame. If you could I'm sure you'd agree.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

@ AG-wolf - Exactly, which is why all of our concerns are definitely worth whining about here.

@ Vartazian - I don't have a problem losing more...it's WHY I'm losing more that I have a problem with.

@ SaturnReturn - I truly feel your pain, as I'm experiencing the same issues as you. Things didn't seem so bad when I first tested out the update yesterday, but I didn't spend quite as much time with it as I did today and was excited and really wanted to like it...so, I think my perspective was a little skewed. After another go-around today though, thinking more clearly, I'm not too happy at all with the gameplay tweaks. I'm a bit depressed about it actually...lol.
    Last edited by LOUDandPROUD; 10th April 2009 at 03:10 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

LOUDandPROUD said it better in one line than I did with all my crazy rants put together. Point well made I feel. I'll try to shut up now and direct my complaints to the source. Sorry.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Hehe Ive got to chuckle at the people suggesting that the only people unhappy about the update are people who are used to winning all of the time. Believe me Im used to losing

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Perhaps Ive just been around the multiplayer scene that ive grown used to patches ruining games.

And I never said once that venting and whining wasnt okay. Hell Ive nerd raged over more silly things then this. Vent on Brother.

Hopefully they fix the Lag IMO

And Fix Rockets they are far to powerful for the start of the race.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

The last thing I want is for SL to roll back all the features of this patch. Period.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I don't think they should need to roll back all features. If the option is patch or no patch, then I vote no patch. But if there is an option for a patch with not just more features, but a measured approach to these features that still lets me play the game that I enjoy so much, then I'd take that any day.

Mines are making my games ridiculous - let me turn them off.
    Glitching is very bad (probably due to spectate) - Let me turn spectate off.
    Extra effectiveness of leech beam and rockets at slowing/halting other players is annoying me - let me choose weapon effectiveness. Give me a sliding scale for damage or something.

People were annoyed by pilot assist before, so now we have the option to disable it. Great! Some people don't like barrel rolls. Now those people have the option to disable them. Great! I don't like grinding to a halt 5 times a lap every couple of races. Give me the option to stop it happening. You see? What this has done for a lot of people is create even more annoying issues than existed before. They could easily have addressed the minor issues with the game first but instead they've thrown so much in that it has just made things worse.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

You can get rid of mines its called "Weapons off"

If you start differentiating which weapons then you are getting borderline rediculous.