Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions on pilot assist option...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    karsten_beoulve

Default opinions on pilot assist option...

I've just bought a ps3 and got the game; so far i've never tried the pilot assist option, but i've noticed that nobody disallows it in online races...

In short, what does it do? is it profitable to use? what are the pros and cons of it? and lastly, what is your personal take on it?

thanks in advance,

"karsten"

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    O_BR

I think nobody really cares if someone in their game room uses pilot assist or not.
    It slows you down really, if you already know how to fly the ship properly.

It tries to keep your ship in the middle of the track. The bad side to that is that it
    makes steering maneuvres all the time to keep the ship on the middle. That of
    course, slows the ship down. Also, because it keeps the ship in the middle, it doesn't
    allow you to fly on the best racing line. In short, it slows you down a lot.

Try it yourself. There's a trophy available from winning a race with pilot assist on.
    Last edited by O_BR; 8th September 2009 at 11:04 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Dont use it.

Pilots who use pilot assist always Are targets for my plasma strikes!

In al seriousness...

Pros : You wont explode from hitting walls
    Cons : Slows you down

PSN ID
    MrBrinkles

I use it when i'm playing Eliminator because it can get so hectic that it sometimes is hard to follow what is happening, which mostly ends in crashing into the wall. So i use it so that i can fully concentrate on eliminating other players. But in races etc. you must turn it off. There are also shortcuts that you can't take with pilot assist on.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    karsten_beoulve

understood, thanks, guys! By the way there's a guide concerning shortcuts? i've found only one so far...

PSN ID
    MrBrinkles

Just search for Wipeout HD Time Trial on YouTube and you will find a lot of video's of people showing you were you can BR or take a shortcut with a turbo

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

I agree with the above posters. I use Pilot Assist (*GASP*), and I really do believe it slows you down.

Pros: Will prevent you (to a minor degree) from hitting walls. Its a very delicate "nudge" off of them. It prevents you from coming to a screetching halt when you brush against a wall.

Cons: Definitely slows you down. Not by my much, but enough to make you say "W-T-F mate". You can literally hold the accelarator down, with PA on, and pilot the track without steering. Try it

Personal Thoughts: Like I said, I use it. But Im going to take the plunge and start racing with it off. So if you see me doing horribly, my PA is probably off. I like the feature, although I have to admit, it does take a lot of the challenge away from WipEout found in the earlier games. Try it set to ON and judge for yourself

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Default League of Zoners against PA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrinkles View Post
    I use it when i'm playing Eliminator because it can get so hectic that it sometimes is hard to follow what is happening, which mostly ends in crashing into the wall.
    Disadvantages of using PA in Eliminitor though is that sometimes if your on low health its worth killing yourself off by ramming a wall to deny any opponent the bonus points for a kill.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

The only two purposes it really serves are:

1. Training wheels for inexperienced pilots
    2. Getting a trophy

If you feel better racing with it on then you can use it, but I'd recommend racing without it after a while to take seconds of of your lap times. If you can glide around the track like some of the pilots here it'll act as a hindrance. Say you want to avoid some mines and you sideshift away but the assist puts you back into their line, or you want to plasma Vartazian but you can't get close enough to the wall to aim*.

I'd avoid it if you want to get better but the choice is yours.

*Sorry I had to say that in response the your post Vartazian, I have nothing against you really!

pilot assist is good to use if you enjoy losing every race you play online to non pilot asist users.

It will improve the performance of a absoloute beginner online but as you will not learn how to fly properly while its on you will never get any good.
    I used it for two weeks before i couldnt handle it anymore.most players give it up within a month so i hear, some probally never used it at all.

Just practice the tracks in SL and TT and you will be good in no time.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mietepiet

I've used it only once for that trophy.
    Winning that race was even harder than beating Zico

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Quote Originally Posted by Amorbis View Post

*Sorry I had to say that in response the your post Vartazian, I have nothing against you really!
    Plasma Away

Rezatron is offline Banned for aggressive behaviour toward members, moderators and admin. Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rezatron

I laid some mines on the pass on Anulpha tonight and switched to rear view to witness the nub fall off ... low and behold I saw his ship zig zag at a lightning pace on the pass . Needless to say I turn pilot assist off when hosting a room online.

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

I agree, sometimes you get stuck behind PA users, really frustrating as they mess up your lines an bash you about a bit.

pilot assist is rubbish a true sign of no skill.nothing more annoying than someone passing thrmselves off as top pro who uses pilot assist.
    SL should make it so when you use pilot assist the graphics for your ship change to a pink kids tricycle with a L plate on it.

Also hate pilot assist users who zigzag all over track mucking up your racing line..Its not like it would win them a game anyway.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mietepiet

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin-jade View Post
    SL should make it so when you use pilot assist the graphics for your ship change to a pink kids tricycle with a L plate on it.
    Gave me almost a heartattack!!! roflol for 30mins

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

I used Pilot Assist to get the trophy and for a few races after that. When I played with it off, I realised it was so much better

And the L plated tricycle is a great idea!

PSN ID
    krioto

Hi,

Can anyone confirm 2 things for me:

1. If pilot assist is on for an online game, does this just allow players to use it, or does it default pilot assist on for all players? I think the first but just want to be sure.

2. If pilot assist is allowed, and a player is using it, could this account for you being slammed into a wall on a corner, when stuck between a player using pilot assist and you who are not? This has happened a few times to me - not just the usual bumping between ships, but really getting slammed on a corner into the wall

thanks

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mietepiet

1. It's based on your own option to use it or not, doesn't affect any other player.

2. Since players who use this option will probably zig-zag around the track, they will also slam you into walls when flying next to them.

PSN ID
    krioto

Thanks - it really pisses me off when I get wall slammed like this!

Everyone should turn this option to off.