Thread: Lag? Or is something wrong?

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Default Lag? Or is something wrong?

Hey guys got a Very Frustrating Question here.

Every race Im in Im always at the back of the pack Regardless of Starting position within the first 10 seconds of the race.

It doesnt even matter if I take a High thrust machine like Goteki 45 or AG Systems, Im Always last.

Now before some of you say lag, everyone appears last to themselves, I never get the weapon pick ups. even if I start in pole Position.

Case and Point Just 10 minutes ago I had a race against a pilot of Equal skill (in my Eyes) IH8YOU.

Now we took the same ship (AG Systems) and I started in 1st Position, on Anulpha pass Reverse, The Race starts and IH8 has rocketed off the line and grabs the first "X" He gets a Bomb, Drops it and I hit it (since I was just a moment behind him) and Get blown to the side he grabs second X its a speed boost and hes gone. Needless to say I caught up to get within 1.5 Seconds of him and it was a great race! (nothing against you H8 it was just convienient that you were the last person I raced).

But it just erks me that I should have gotten that "X" should I have not? this isnt the first time its happened either. Its happened on multiple occasions in almost every race ive ever started in.

I dont have a problem with losing (Ask Yeldar, In 40 races and only winning 8, I cna take losing in stride) But when the playing field is so one sided, I cant help but feel a little Exasperated.

/End rant

So My Question is that, what is going on? even if it was lag would I still not Get the item since I passed it first on my machine?

Any Thought or Comments? They are welcome.

Timezone
    GMT -5

If it's any consolation with you - I too agree that you should have gotten that weapon pickup, not me. I head towards them either way - just in case the 1st position pilot is snoozing off the line, or has a Triakis, ect...

But in this race, I know you should have gotten that pad first - but it does appear to be lag - i've seen MUCH worse versions myself in the past.

My internet just died a couple moments ago (router bricked up) I just had to run into the basement and reset it - perhaps my router was the culprit in this scenario.

And I'll concede it - considering how tired I am right now - and the fact you caught straight back up to me - YOU won that race in my eyes.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Have you set your acceleration sensitivity to 10%?
    Are you using Pilot Assist?

These two things can prevent you from obtaining 100% thrust when you press the X button, thus preventing you from reaching maximum speed.

If sensitivity is 10% and Pilot Assist is off, then it's lag.
    What is your internet connection speed? (www.speedtest.net)

Timezone
    GMT -5

TRUST ME, it's not his acceleration sensitivity or Pilot Assist - I was NOT dragging bottom on this race, and still could not put any distance between us.

By all rights, he won that - if he had gotten that first pad, no doubt I would have lost.

I've seen people with lag (especially with Spain and New Zealand for some reason) - at the start of the race they're literally 1/4 track ahead of you - they just bolt off like they got 4 turbos in a row. But with those guys, at the end of the race it usually gets re-calculated, and even if they finish before you - it'll adjust once everyone crosses the finish line - and re-display the "corrected" finish order. So you'll still get the win if you were faster than they were from start to finish.

The suck side of that - is even though it corrects for this post-race - you still get to suck up all the mines / bombs they drop, and you still get to fly over cold pickup pads - which usually contribute to you losing the race anyhow.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

The lag issue varies so much ,not just from country to country, but on an almost daily basis.

I've had plenty of tournaments where what you describe has happened.
    OK,so the game recalculates positions due to lag.
    It doesn't sort out all the non active weapons pads that can lose you a race I don't know if that's caused by lag but it can ruin an otherwise great tournament.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Heh While you say I won that race in your eyes, its not a win If it Says

2 : Vartazian.

You won it fair and square bro, and if your tired enough to of keep ahead of me and Im mroe awake then you! I deserve to lose!

Again I must insist for anybody reading this and thinking "Hes a sore loser" I have absolutely no problem with losing or not even getting weapons (Denying your enemy a means to attack you is a key to victory is it not?) Me and IH8 had a great Match and he won fair and square.

Just using it as a Example.

Acceleration Sensitivity to 10%... I do believe I have that. and I never have ever touched pilot assist. I might only use it for the achievement!. Thanks for pointing that out though.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

It's lag, but I think the netcode could be improved.
    For instance yesterday I played with yeldar2097, he was behind me and I used
    a quake, which actually hit him!

And you're doing a boost start right?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Yes the netcode is horrible.
    I've had a bomb dropped by someone next to me explode on me and push me at the side of the track once. I lost the race. \o/

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

the most frequent lag issue I strike is that I am yet to come off best in a ramming battle,
    even if both the pilots involved are in the same craft (so it's not ship weight). I used to think it was an advantage to the host, but this makes no difference.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Shield value only seems to be an advantage if it's kept around the 75+% mark,if it's lower than this that's when you REALLY slow down if hit

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
    For instance yesterday I played with yeldar2097, he was behind me and I used
    a quake, which actually hit him!
    ahhh...good times

i agree with the fact that it definitely varies on a day-today basis. sometimes its normal amounts of lag (which we all have to deal with), but sometimes it's a case of deliberately being last off the grip so you don't get respawned on the first corner (as well as having 70-90% of your shields taken off).

I try and roll with it as best i can but it can get very annoying.