Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think Venom is hard

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Default I think Venom is hard

Crazy as it sounds I think Venom class is hard to race. I was on last night and there was a couple of people on and the only races were Venom. I entered a eight race tournament and found it to be difficult. You're whole timing is off. You can't BR in places you're used to. You have to pick you're line completely (well maybe not completely but you know) different. I don't know how many times I ended up turning too early and slamming into the inside wall of a turn.

Don't get me wrong I won 15 out of 16 races (we went twice) but it was a whole other challenge. Weird actually. It's almost like a different game.

Well, its because you got used to a different speed class, got totally acclimated to it. All your automatic timing of inputs that you gained by practise are completely wrong for a different speed; every turn or acceleration needs a different amount of anticipation. You'll find that to be true for every speed class you change to after getting used to one. It works both ways, too, going to a faster class or to a slower one. All of them are innately difficult to perfect your performance on.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I had exactly the same experience,turning too early on Sebenco -Venom.
    I only raced it for a brief relief from Phantom TT's

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    You'll find that to be true for every speed class you change to after getting used to one. It works both ways, too, going to a faster class or to a slower one. All of them are innately difficult to perfect your performance on.
    Yeah. It's definitely an acclimation thing. But I seem to flow pretty well between the other three classes much better. Other than the timing thing it seems like you're just not going fast enough to get that "float" or "bounce" that allows you to do a lot more maneuvering.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I find that what gets thrown off most for me in dropping back to venom is my sideshifting

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Venom is slow as **** kinda like driving on the freeway and getting fuktards in front of you braking for no reason WTF!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    guggle

It makes for interesting single races: if you are the host, have two races per track, one venom and one rapier/phantom...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    knaeg

I have experienced something similar in the early zones of zone mode, finding it hard to perform a perfect first lap.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

same here, i can't get any consistent perfect laps until sub-phantom. before that i just turn in far too early.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

yes! I'm not the only one >.>
    Still haven't gotten zone zeus yet, though I haven't really been playing.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KomatosRecords

Ditto here. The handling of the 100% stat Zone ships have changed in Zone mode. I used to get perfect (or near perfect ) laps more often on lower speeds in Zone. Now it's the opposite: I do best in the mid-range speeds (Zones 10-25). And my smoother racing lines in Zone mode are on the harder tracks like Metropia, and not the easier ones like Moa Therma, like they used to be. Turns too easy now, and I'm always an oversteerer/over-airbraker.

I guess at least with this control tweaking I might see myself eventually getting to Zone 50 (or maybe even 75) for the Zone Zeus or Airbraker trophies, whereas before the handling at higher speeds (Zone 25+) was too hard for me. Maybe I'm slowly getting more acclimated to SuperPhantom and higher speeds hehe.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

I don't thnk venom is that hard, I went into a venom race on Chengou fwd by mistake the other day and ended up putting in a race that got me no17 global record....and I haven't raced venom since the game came out!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Well that's because there is less competition online on Venom,
    it has nothing to do with the speed itself, right?

Actually scoring a great time on venom is very hard, speed laps for instance.
    Barrel Rolls are more important on Venom than on Phantom, you simply cannot
    score a great time if you're missing a BR (but you can in Phantom),
    and some of them are incredibly hard to execute, especially because your ship
    doesn't fly high.

For instance on Chenghou forward, you can do a BR just before the ramp,
    it's rather "easy" on Phantom and might not be needed,
    but near impossible on Venom, and much needed...

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

I get what you're saying about less people playing, but still I wasn't trying to achieve anything in that race, just trying to finish so I could get out....I was merely making an observation of my personal experience with venom...thats all I have to go on.

PSN ID
    silverfoxy

@ Venom speed - I have had a few WRs at venom speed. I agree that its vital to nail BRs but I find sideshifting the key to good times on venom. If you can use them effectively they are are very helpful.

@ the Zone - I've heard a few people say its harder to get PLs early on. I do find the handling of the ship a bit more "wooly" since the update and I think it seems like it is skating across the track a lot more than before. I just tend to muddle my way round for the first few laps avoiding the sides. Agreed that its definitely possible to get further than before. I've beaten 14 PB scores since the update and got to Zones I couldn't have dreamt of before

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Quote Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
    and some of them are incredibly hard to execute, especially because your ship
    doesn't fly high.

For instance on Chenghou forward, you can do a BR just before the ramp,
    it's rather "easy" on Phantom and might not be needed,
    but near impossible on Venom, and much needed...
    That's exactly the point I was trying to get across. Not that flying in Venom is hard exactly but a challenge since all your tried and true maneuvers don't always work out as planned since you are going slower. Your ship doesn't bounce along the track as much and hitting a BR is extremely hard to do and/or extremely limited to where they can even be done along with the timing. Timing seems completely out of whack. Flash you can tell you're going slower but it seems to "flow" better.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

To be honest I am totally rubbish at BR's no matter what the speed so it's all the same to me

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

stinkleroy: no problem at all, I was just reacting when you said "Venom is easy",
    when in fact it isn't ... but you could say "winning online races and getting a
    high rank is easy on Venom"

To illustrate how hard it is, know that a 29.37 time is possible on Anulpha Pass,
    with Icaras, that's about 1.5 second faster than Zico time, which many of us
    considered near impossible... Can you imagine?

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Haha but I didn't say venom was easy, I would never say that. I know plenty of my friends who can't even make it round a lap on venom. Anyway confusion cleared up I hope!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Yeah sure, sorry, I got confused with semantics I guess